Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 AM

62 posts, read 352,256 times

Advertisements

I didnt have a problem in Salt Lake, my very multi-race family was just fine. The people were very nice. However, my family nor I will NEVER go back to Ceder City, Utah again-we did run into Racism there. We were scared. Hope everything works out for you....

Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 AM

25 posts, read 119,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Well Utah can't be too racist! Thank you Utah Dems for voting for Obama!!! Makes me feel better about moving there.

I saw that as Utahns being more sexist than racist. Sexism in Utah is rampant.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 PM

515 posts, read 2,318,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
I saw that as Utahns being more sexist than racist. Sexism in Utah is rampant.
I sort of doubt that's it. My guess is the sexist Utahns are probably the Republicans, as people seem to say that's a part of the Mormon culture. Obama swept many middle America and Rocky mountain states. I would assume in some of the "red" states, the Dems that are there are on the progressive and liberal side.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,441,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I sort of doubt that's it. My guess is the sexist Utahns are probably the Republicans, as people seem to say that's a part of the Mormon culture. Obama swept many middle America and Rocky mountain states. I would assume in some of the "red" states, the Dems that are there are on the progressive and liberal side.
along that line of thinking, most of the people (including me) in utah that did not vote for hillary, didn't do it because they don't like the idea of a female president, but because they do't like the idea of a hillary president.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM

281 posts, read 1,182,452 times
I posted earlier that because of the incredible lack of diversity in this state that no one could form an opinion one way or another. But because of that there does seem to be a lot of opininons formed by rumor, stereotype and self-imposed feelings of supremacy by plenty of Utahn's. Rather than by knowledge and experiance living around differant cultures. But that's changing.
I do love caligrl's comment about Cedar City. That town has been fighting change for years according to long standing citizens of the place. And to me also that includes acceptance of outsiders.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,764,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupapi View Post
never say thank you when you hold the door for them (or even attempt to hold the door themselves)
That type of etiquette is more common in places where women are considered equal or superior to men.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 17,092 times
Racist. Not really. Considering they put up with a log of crap on the illegal immigration front. Utahns are actually non-racists. But illegal immigration is becoming as serious in utah as in Arizona so the population is getting divided.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 AM

36 posts, read 111,948 times
I was walking outside HILL AIR FORCE base by the MAIN GATE entrance in Layton and a PICK UP TRUCK rolled by at an INTERSECTION and called me a DEROGATORY ETHNIC since SLAVERY RACIAL NAME.

The man in the truck had to PICK IT UP from SOMEWHERE close BY.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,441,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru-bare View Post
I was walking outside HILL AIR FORCE base by the MAIN GATE entrance in Layton and a PICK UP TRUCK rolled by at an INTERSECTION and called me a DEROGATORY ETHNIC since SLAVERY RACIAL NAME.

The man in the truck had to PICK IT UP from SOMEWHERE close BY.

i'm not really sure what you mean by that, the sentance is a little confusing. but it is possible that he picked it up somewhere else. not all utahns are as never-seen-the-world as many people seem to think.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,119,695 times
Quote:
i'm not really sure what you mean by that, the sentance is a little confusing. but it is possible that he picked it up somewhere else. not all utahns are as never-seen-the-world as many people seem to think.
I've heard the word (if my assumption is corredt) everywhere I have ever lived. Of course including Utah. But, as a white person who people expect to be like them, not knowing that I am studing racism and such, I hear much much less of it in Utah. I didn't recognize it at first, then I became pleased at it's lacking.

I also have a theory that with so many people going on missions, they tend to see themselves in a more global view than you would expect from an all-white society. Because they don't just "go" to the mission, they are immersed and CONNECT with that culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah