Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 11,109 times

Advertisements

Our family has been living on Cape Cod for a year and plan to move back west and chose Utah mainly for it's prices. We have been looking horse property (around 1 acre) in the north Utah County areas and would love some feedback. We have also looked at Grantsville and, Wow, the prices are so great. My question is are there things for my 4 kids to do there? Like music, drama, sports, etc. Or is it really isolated? My husband is a travel nurse and will work at hospitals in either SLC or Utah County. Being so far away it's hard to get a good feel for what the areas are like and any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,127,347 times
Hi,
If you are looking for an acreage property I probably wouldn't look in northern Utah County just because you'd be inbetween the salt lake valley and provo/orem areas which are really growing so you might kinda get stuck in the middle. I've heard that grantsville is a really nice area and the prices are good. I've only ever driven through it and considering what you're looking for it might be an ideal place. You also might wanna look at the southwest end of the valley (Herriman) for acreages. Very beautiful area bit also growing a lot. There would be a ton of things for kids to do in SLC and in Provo/Orem. Utah is very kid friendly! Good luck and welcome to Utah!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM

212 posts, read 789,196 times
You might also want to look in the southern end of Utah county around Santaquin- Payson areas. There is alot of growth going on down there but you can still find acreage. It is about a 30 minute commute to Provo. What about Nephi? Housing prices would be less than in Utah or Salt Lake countys, with more of a rural feel. I think you could find acreage there too. Payson is about 25 miles from Nephi. There are hospitals in both Payson and Nephi.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 14,851 times
Hi. We just moved away from Smithfield, Utah in May, and went to Salem, Oregon, because I was not able to get work which paid more than $8.91 an hour. Are there any other cities in Utah, which have a low cost of living, and decent paying jobs? I am working on a Masters Degree and CPA in Accounting, and will have them completed by 2008. We are thinking about moving back to Utah, because the unemployment rate is half that of Oregon. However, since I am the sole income provider in my family, with my husband on Social Security, and 2 children ages 3 and 5 years, I need to have work which will be enough to live on, if we move back to the Utah area. I would appreciate any tips I can receive at this time.

-Stephanie Long

Last edited by thurbersos; 03-06-2007 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: misspelled words.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:25 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurbersos View Post
Hi. We just moved away from Smithfield, Utah in May, and went to Salem, Oregon, because I was not able to get work which paid more than $8.91 an hour. Are there any other cities in Utah, which have a low cost of living, and decent paying jobs? I am working on a Masters Degree and CPA in Accounting, and will have them completed by 2008. We are thinking about moving back to Utah, because the unemployment rate is half that of Oregon. However, since I am the sole income provider in my family, with my husband on Social Security, and 2 children ages 3 and 5 years, I need to have work which will be enough to live on, if we move back to the Utah area. I would appreciate any tips I can receive at this time.

-Stephanie Long
I came across this very question just a couple of weeks ago in my work. With a masters of accounting, a starting job with the Big Four in Salt Lake is about $45,000. They all collude to give the same starting salary. More than $8.61 per hour, but still not a lot. Accounting in general is in huge demand, so if you could get on with a bank or someone out of the big four, you may be able to get a bit more depending on experience.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:42 AM

3 posts, read 14,851 times
Default Do you know who the Big Four Are?

Thank you Coolcats. This is great information on the Accounting salaries in Salt Lake City. By Chance do you know who the Big Four Companies are? I would like to send my resume to them. Thank you.

-Stephanie Long

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,708,705 times
The big four, so named because they are the only four remaining national accounting firms are:

Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
Ernst & Young
KPMG
PricewaterhouseCoopers

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM

242 posts, read 850,684 times
Hmm. I don't know about Granstville. I live in that area. Granted I'm 24 and it takes a bit more to entertain me but the area bores me to tears. It is beautiful horse country, I will give you that. However, the town that I'm in (Tooele) the horses are kind of neglected. Being a horse lover myself it breaks my heart to see these horses cooped up in small areas without proper room to move. I think it is better in the Grantsville area but I don't know for sure since I'm not over that way.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 PM

51 posts, read 234,468 times
I live in Grantsville and absolutely love it! We moved here at the end of November and are SO glad we chose Grantsville. People ride their horses all over out here- all over the trails in our subdivision and even all over the streets in town- wonderful! There's plenty to do- the miller sports complex - only a couple miles away- has go garts, water park, car racing. There are parks- there's a reservoir- there's a mountain that we can access from our house to ride up into. Our kids love it here because there are so many other kids to play with. There's also a boys and girls club, storytime, sports activities, gymnastics, etc. Not to mention things such as the sociable that we just had where the whole town gets together and I just saw a BBQ at the rec. center- free for the whole town! And- it's only a short drive into salt lake where you have all the amenities of a large city. I personally perfer to live in a small town- for safety- and for that small town feel, yet- a half hour and I am near everything a big city has to offer. Grantsville is AWESOME! Oh- and there are LOTS of 1 acre horse properties around- and the price is RIGHT!!!
Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,216 times
I think it depends on what kind of drive you are looking for to work. I know finding an acre, in Utah, Davis, or Salt Lake County can be a challenge. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah