Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM

153 posts, read 563,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tol_mommy View Post
I dont really have a specific area I would say around SLC, no further than Provo. I need to just find a job. And sell my house here in NC. Do you know anyone who is looking to move to Charlotte and needs a 4bd 2 1/2 ba nice fenced in yard, 2 car garage. Asking Price 169,900. Hee hee, just thought I would throw that in there.
That is EXACTLY what I need, where I need it.....but I'm not looking to buy, just rent. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about Dugway?
Getting back to the OP's question, Dugway is out in the middle of the desert, east of the Bonneville salt flats. And there's not much there. Tooele is probably the biggest town in the area, but it's bit of a drive. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,077 times
Quote:
Hi people, I am looking to move to Utah from North Carolina. Does anyone know anything about Dugway? Or does anyone have any suggestions on nice areas. This is a major move for me. I have never lived outside of NC. My husband is orginally from Utah but he has been in NC for 8yrs.
All I know from living in Utah for 27 years is Dugway if far far away. I think it is a pretty nice town. I believe its west of Salt Lake as you head to Wendover, but someone correct me if I am wrong as I have never actually been there. I would go North of Salt Lake instead of Salt Lake area if you want homes that are a little more reasonable in price. However, I don't know about the price of homes in Dugway. I lived in Layton for 16 years and loved it. Kaysville and Bountiful very nice too. Those cities are all north of Salt Lake.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,077 times
oh sorry didn't see that humboldtrat had already explained where dugway was. I think there is some type of a base out there too?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM

153 posts, read 563,619 times
According to the map, it's out a ways west of Eagle Mountain, so quite a bit south of SL area

Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times
Moved to NC from Provo.

It's cold- like down to the bone cold there. There is still snow on the peaks June 1st. May 23rd, my daughter's birthdaw was a coat day. But not hat/gloves/boots/scarf day.

Halloween is cold, too. And there is usually snow on the ground.

As long as light or the lack thereof doesn't affect you, Utah is great!

You will not find Southern Hospitality in Utah. Walk into a gas station behind someone and know that the door will NOT be held open. When driving, know that these mild, gentle people turn into Morphed Mean M.....hmmm...what word to add here. Morphed meanines. There is no such thing as yeilding right of way there.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Moved to NC from Provo.

It's cold- like down to the bone cold there. There is still snow on the peaks June 1st. May 23rd, my daughter's birthdaw was a coat day. But not hat/gloves/boots/scarf day.

Halloween is cold, too. And there is usually snow on the ground.

As long as light or the lack thereof doesn't affect you, Utah is great!

You will not find Southern Hospitality in Utah. Walk into a gas station behind someone and know that the door will NOT be held open. When driving, know that these mild, gentle people turn into Morphed Mean M.....hmmm...what word to add here. Morphed meanines. There is no such thing as yeilding right of way there.
Well, if it helps, I always hold the door open for people, and I have always gotten a thank you from the person. Always. I love it!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,971 times
We were living in Utah and decided to move to NC for various reasons. One year later and we've decided to move back. We have a house in South Jordan, Daybreak. Really lovely area and nice houses. Daybreak is a wonderful place to raise a family and has lots of activities going on. Salt Lake City is about a 30 minute commute. Draper and the mountain areas are also nice. Hope this helps. When do you plan on moving? Also, are you using a moving company or doing the move yourself?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 PM

29 posts, read 129,492 times
I moved from NC (Durham) last year with my wife. It is definitely different here but not so much in a bad way. We live near downtown SLC which is where I also work. Everywhere in UT will have a large population of LDS folks except the Moab, Park City and Salt Lake City areas. If you are LDS, no big deal, if you are not, it will be an adjustment.

I wish that someone would have gave me the list that I am giving you to help me be more prepared. Hopefully, this will help others that are thinking of making the move. We do not regret our move - it just takes a little adjusting. We think UT is the best "base camp" for exploring the West you can find. Also, it is direct 4 hour flight from RDU, not sure about CLT though.

Major differences b/t UT and Charlotte in no particular order:

LDS folks - super nice people similar to strict southern baptists but if you are not LDS, the religon might neem strange or hokey.

Awesome local brew beers

Great restaurants downtown

The city is more city-like than Durham or Raleigh though not as big as Charlotte - has excellent mass transportation for the city's size. Also dressing and looking like a punk or being heavily tattooed is very popular in the city.

There are major industrial areas like gravel mines and oil refineries close to the city which are eye sores.

You will miss the greeness of NC but it is all relative (huge rocky mountains instead) - around the north of the city the mountains are like large tree-less brown hills - not ugly, just different.

No humidity - which is awesome for me

Snow in the winter - not sleet or ice (easier to get around)

People constantly asking "what brings you to Utah" for which the expected reply is either "I love skiing / snowboarding" or "the Church" (Mormon Church).

No Bojangles, KFC started here

Closest NASCAR track is in Las Vegas - which you can do a half a days drive too.

It rains very little and the sun shines ALOT. It does get a little hot and gets close to 100 some days but without the humidity, you will not get soaking wet with sweat in seconds and it will be cooler in the shade than NC.

It is always drought like conditions except people waste more water here than people did back in NC.

Very few blacks - more hispanics and a race you probably aren't familiar with - pacific islanders

Banking industry downtown has not been hit so hard like Charlotte. (Wells Fargo is downtown who just bought Wachovia)

No real "lakes". Utah Lake sucks and the Salt Lake is just plain gross and smelly- though pretty to look at. Lake Powell down south is very cool from what I hear though.

The air gets pretty dirty some times (back in NC they called it "ozone action days" - here it is called "inversions'") - the mountains are immune to this though.

A LOT of people in a small area (the valley) - lots of cars.

Fry sauce / Arctic Circles

I-15 is the only N/S highway and is almost always busy.

The streets in SLC are very wide

Land and houses are expensive and the houses are VERY close together with tiny yards - though if you like smaller old houses like craftsman bungalows - they are everywhere.

Pay is higher than NC

The city is more liberal than Charlotte even Durham - or at least seems that way

The mountains are in your face and awesome- though be aware that Utah tourism photos are fake b/c they show the mountains 2x bigger and clearer than they really are.

You can't live in the mountains unless you have a bunch of cash.

Dogs are not allowed in some of the close by mountain canyons (they are watersheds)

Charlotte traffic will be very similar to traffic on the main highway here, 1-15. The drivers are not so good either - I think it is b/c of so many young people here.

Lots of young people

Lots of women with boob-jobs and blonde hair (cosmetic surgery here is like #2 with Southern California being #1)

The city and surrounding areas are way safer than parts of Durham, Raleigh and Charlotte.

Grafitti (tagging) is popular with the teens around here which is super annoying to me.

College basketball is not like back in NC however the university of utah is unofficially #1 in college football this year.

The mountains are very close but finding remote areas where you will not see anyone will be a challenge.

There are really no real rural areas close buy except maybe 45 minutes away. All of the rural areas close to the city got developed with spec houses. You might see some horses in a tiny 1 acre yard which is sad to me.

There are so many naturally beautiful areas within driving distance it is ubsurd (Arches, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Zions, Bryce, Uintas, Grand Canyon, etc).

Anyone looking to move to Utah from NC - or even the south, send me a message and I will try to give you an unbiased opinon.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,126 times
Can retired military live on base housing.thanks bryon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah