U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 15,848 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a small, young family moving to Utah. I will be working in Tooele and my husband will be going to school at the University of Utah. Since we don't know the area and are moving from out of state we're looking for some advice as to where are some good locations to live. We'd like to find an area that is in between both work and school. Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,749,565 times
What is your price range?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM

We are going to rent to start off so we can see what areas will work best for us. I'm looking at 600-900 to start off. Does it not seem realistic? I don't even know what the cost of living is in the area. Suggestions?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,840,300 times
6-900 is very realistic for an apt. here. With you working in Tooele and your husband going to the U a decent middle ground would probably be somewhere like west or south Jordan. Your husband could take TRAX which goes right up to the U and it would leave you with a not too long drive. We live in Murray which is a very nice neighborhood on the east side and I worked once with a lady who commuted from Tooele (about a 45 or so min. drive depending on the weather, I-80 can get pretty bad sometimes in the winter). It all depends on how long you're willing to drive.
What are you looking for in an area?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM

2,465 posts, read 6,306,391 times
You could also live in Tooele or Stansbury and your DH could take the UTA bus downtown, catch Trax to school and then back home again. Of course, that would depend on his school schedule. The buses have WiFi on the express routes also, so that might also be a plus.

Riding UTA

He could use that time for homework/studying rather than driving it himself. I live in Stansbury Park, so if you have any questions about Tooele and surrounding areas, I would be glad to help!

What size apt/home are you looking for? Any kids? Pets?

Last edited by kaytidid; 12-29-2008 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Thank you all for the replies. This morning we found out my first day is the 2nd of Feb at my new job in Utah. So I have 3 wks to go out to Utah, scout the are, find a place, pack up our current place and move cross country. We have a 10 month old baby so although the bus and train ideas would work great - It may be a little bit of an issue with finding a day care and getting the baby there since my husband is always the one who drops off the baby (maybe that will have to chnge). Of course, if I can find a place and daycare in Tooele, or sorounding areas, the train wouldn't be a bad idea. So I've written down all the places that you have all mentioned and I will start looking.

We want to be in a quite area but not in the country. I have had the opportunity to live in a very nice family oriented community and am looking for something similar. Does anyone know of good daycare centers in either the Tooele area or somewhere in the above mentioned cities?

Again, thanks to everyone for their advice. Please feel free to keep it coming

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Stansbury is a quiet area. Very family type living, with a great daycare (business) right in Stansbury. There are also several stay at home moms that also do daycare right from their home, if that is something that you are okay with.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm curious about Stansbury.However it doesn't seem like there are many apartments/homes for rent that I can find on-line. I guess we'll have tojust drive thre and check it out. I don't mind a stay at home mom babysitter - I guess it all depends on how many other little ones she's watching. Do you know what the price range is for buying a home in this particular area?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM

There are several homes for rent and more for sale right now. There are some starter homes that are right around 160K, and then some homes on acreage for 300K+, and many more right in the middle. Just depends on what you are looking for. There are some brand new townhomes that are being built right now by a reputable builder. I believe they start about 140K
Benson Mill Crossing - Utah homes for sale in Stansbury Park, Utah

Utah Real Estate - Your One Stop Source for Searching Real Estate in Utah narrow the search down to tooele county and then look for stansbury address..
You can read more about Stansbury here
Stansbury Park Community Association (http://www.stansburyassoc.org/index.html - broken link)

Hope this has helped some. If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Although we do want to buy soon we think it will be smarter for us to wait a few months before taking that step. I guess we'll just have to visit Stansbury and see what we can find. Do you know if any of the homes for rent are listed on-line? Is there a newspaper I can check out on-line that may have classifieds? I tried looking but couldn't find anything - maybe I didn't serach right. We are going out there in a few weeks so I'm making somephone calls and setting up appointments with different places. I am going to check out the real estate options -it never hurts to look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah