Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

i know a lot of folks that would NEVER live in utah county by choice. provo and surrounding areas, i think, will always be the "ugly stepsister" of cities in utah. problem is, it's one of the fastest growing regions in the COUNTRY...and i'm not just talking about natural births ALONE here. a LOT of people are moving in from outside other areas and diluting the HEAVY mormon influence. either way, i think it's what YOU make it. no one decides how YOU will be treated and "liked." it is up to YOU to make the most of where you live!

reminds me of the time my neighbors were headed out the door for an evening. i just happened to be walking by and out of curiosity, i asked where they were headed off to. they said, "salt lake...there is nothing to do in this town." i asked where they wanted to eat, etc...and they said, "we're going to TGI fridays"

i looked at them and said, "um...we have one of those just down the road."
they looked at each other and said, "well, theres just no place to hang out down here, drink, party, etc..."

my reply? "well, you both go to BYU, and mormon, so i'm surprised you would want to go to a place like that anyway. why not save the time and money and just go to a local restaurant and help our local economy instead?" i said this with a big grin on my face.

so, they ended up staying in provo, going out to eat, and having an awesome time.

i know provo is NO salt lake, and anyone that compares the two is being VERY generous to provo. sometimes its good to get out of the place where you live and see other things...i do all the time, but living in provo and hearing all the BYU students COMPLAIN that there is no "night life" here is the TRUTH, but they have to remember:

they helped make it that way.

they don't drink, they don't "party," they dont' stay up past 10-11pm on weekdays, and head to bed at 11:30 on saturday night, because the "sabbath starts at midnight, you know...." so, what is utah county SUPPOSED to do?! i mean, you have over 60,000 students that are mostly LDS that all have the same CONSERVATIVE "party" rules...is it NO WONDER provo has nothing open past 10 pm?! WHO WOULD COME??

so, my rant is over...just my two cents on the issue...keep the change--

poodledoodledude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 AM

38 posts, read 78,593 times
I never ever thought I would live in Utah, and I'm still stuck on the if you don't like here than leave, well I would if I could and I would go back to upstate NY which I believe is the best place to live ever! I thank a lot of people for sharing their experiences here because sometimes even my boyfriend thinks I'm being judgmental. But all he does is work and I spend a lot more time in the neighborhood and trying to make friends than he does. We ended up here because of his job. There is no going home unless he gets transferred back. We didn't choose it, it jsut happened. I have a good job which I love and I love the people I work with. I just miss NY and I used to be soooo good at making friends. Now it is so hard. So, when you people say if you don't like it just leave we can't because utah people brought my boyfriend out here to work to help fix their company, so that's why we are here so sorry!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I know its hard to move across country to another state. We went from New Mexico to New York ( upstate NY is so beautiful ) I balled my eyes out for the first year. We have been here for 3 yrs in Dec no I have not really made any friends, then again I am shy.
I hpe things get really bettter for you,

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
i know a lot of folks that would NEVER live in utah county by choice. provo and surrounding areas, i think, will always be the "ugly stepsister" of cities in utah. problem is, it's one of the fastest growing regions in the COUNTRY...and i'm not just talking about natural births ALONE here. a LOT of people are moving in from outside other areas and diluting the HEAVY mormon influence. either way, i think it's what YOU make it. no one decides how YOU will be treated and "liked." it is up to YOU to make the most of where you live!

.................................................. ..................................................

I understand this point of view and I think there is alot of truth to it. However, its just not that simple.

I think there are some unique characteristics about living in "fundamentalist areas" like Utah County that aren't understood by people who move to the area. Understanding some things in advance might prevent a move and alot of subsequent heartache. Here is what I mean:

1. If you invite your neighbors over for a beer, and they are devout LDS, they may not only refuse, they may put you on a "black list" and you'll have no contact with them other than a wave from their car during the time you live in the neighborhood.

2. Inviting your devout LDS neighbors over for a "get acquainted dinner" maybe problematic because in all likelihood it will interfere with family home evening (Mondays), Young men and Young Women's Activity night (Wednesdays in our ward), Sunday (pretty much always out of the question), the night they have an extended family party (Saturday?), and other nights of the week that are taken up with church meetings and family activities.

3. Families on a budget don't like to spend money going out and on recreation with strangers. The families around here are the largest statistically in the USA. Parents in these families by necessity have to work longer hours to support them and spend less money on recreation and social activities. If you invite your neighbors for any kind of an outing (movie, eating-out, etc.) they may say no simply because they don't have the money to spend.

4. If neighbors do accept social invitations, they often will never return them. Its not that they have something against you. Its just that you don't fit into their lives. You aren't a member of their ward and you aren't part of their big extended family.

What I'm saying is that being an outsider in Utah County and many other places its more complicated than you think. I can see how an outsider could make an enormous effort to be friendly and be re-buffed simply because of how the local culture works. He/she doesn't just determine "how he will be treated".

As a general rule, what makes Salt Lake County easier to live in is that you have more people from other cultures and religions and many of the LDS people are less than fanatical about their belief system. You are less likely to run into all the problems I describe above. You are more likely to find a group of some sort that you can fit into and hang out with. I realize there are undoubtedly neighborhoods and areas of Utah County that are an exception to this broad generalization. Nevertheless, I think it pretty much holds.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermusique View Post
I never ever thought I would live in Utah, and I'm still stuck on the if you don't like here than leave, well I would if I could and I would go back to upstate NY which I believe is the best place to live ever! I thank a lot of people for sharing their experiences here because sometimes even my boyfriend thinks I'm being judgmental. But all he does is work and I spend a lot more time in the neighborhood and trying to make friends than he does. We ended up here because of his job. There is no going home unless he gets transferred back. We didn't choose it, it jsut happened. I have a good job which I love and I love the people I work with. I just miss NY and I used to be soooo good at making friends. Now it is so hard. So, when you people say if you don't like it just leave we can't because utah people brought my boyfriend out here to work to help fix their company, so that's why we are here so sorry!
You should check out meetup.com as a way to meet people. There are groups for all different interests, and I have met a lot of nice people through it. There are also tons of transplants - I am from the Northeast as well. But I love it here - the weather is so much nicer and I love the scenery. NY state is pretty too, but so much rain! I hope things get better for you here.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 PM

I'm so sorry michelle leigh that you felt like that in NY, people are friendly there just talk to them!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM

lol cinnabon, do you know how much i miss a rainy day, i am a northest girl through and through!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:10 PM

Oh sorry, Kermusique no New York was great just too far from family, we live in Utah now have for 3 yrs in December. I have not really made any friends here because i am kind of shy. Funny in NY that was not a problem, the area we were in people would just ask questions and ya just kind of answered them( I like that a lot) People here are friendly but seem to be a bit more reserved.
i miss the food from New York, man you could get really good food.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
I will be your friend, Michelle. I am kind of shy too, so we can be shy together. We can sit, be friends and not say too much to each other

Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks, katyidid, us shy people have to stick together. Hope you are a having a great week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah