Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 20,248 times

Advertisements

Just curious about moving to Utah and not being LDS. I am Christian, however, I don't dishonor God by following pagan practices. Will my children be picked on at school for not participating in school activities that involve pagan related worship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,977,247 times
School activities are not religious anymore. They have a holiday party at Christmas time, but God isn't brought into it at all. The have Spring break, but Easter isn't really brought into the picture and there is nothing in the school about Easter. Actually, coming from the east, I was quite shocked that Easter isn't as big of a deal here in Utah as it was there. Everyone (employer wise) it seemed gave off Good Friday or Easter monday...not so much here, for either of them. I don't think anyone would notice if you worshiped them or not. I know I wouldn't.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,605 times
honestly, i don't think too many people would care even if they knew. our kids might get a string of 20-questions once in a while, but i don't think it would be commonplace. i can't guarantee that they won't have kids staring at them as if they were aliens, though, because kids are kids, and some of them have stupid parents.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,831 times
I was totally surprised at how big Halloween is in UT. Previous to moving here, I noticed a lot of people not participating in Halloween, especially if they were "Christians"... and I see as many people decorate their houses for it as they do for Christmas and do whole family costumes, get really into it.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 67,216 times
I would be careful when using the word Pagan. Even if you are not using it in an offensive way many people will take offense to it. There is no exact definition of Pagen and it can be used in many different ways.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

yeah, halloween is a pretty popular holiday. i think most people like the idea of dressing up, and bags of candy make it an even tastier (pun, however lame it might be, intended) prospect.

that said, i knew people when i was growing up that didn't celebrate halloween. no biggie here. just make sure that your kids are hanging around decent friends, instead of uptight, self-righteous ones. well, try as much as a parent can, anyway...

Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reech View Post
I would be careful when using the word Pagan. Even if you are not using it in an offensive way many people will take offense to it. There is no exact definition of Pagen and it can be used in many different ways.
good point. it has become kind of a curse word among christians these days, and that is sad; i personally know quite a few pagans that are awesome, upstandinf citizens. in fact, i don't know any pagans that i thought were socially irresponsible or anything. i suppose that there were a few in high school that were immature, but come one, i was a 14-18 year old with the mentality and maturity level of a toddler, so who am i to judge?

aaron out.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM

10 posts, read 67,216 times
I celebrate Christmas and Easter and I do not consider myself a pagan. So pagan is a misunderstood word that can mean many things. Thats all.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainedfriend View Post
Just curious about moving to Utah and not being LDS. I am Christian, however, I don't dishonor God by following pagan practices. Will my children be picked on at school for not participating in school activities that involve pagan related worship?
Well, if you go around telling people who celebrate Easter and Christmas that they "dishonor God," you may not be awfully well accepted. I don't think that Utahns who are involved in "pagan related worship" will be any harder on you than Californians, Floridians or New Yorkers who are involved in "pagan related worship," though. And just so that you know, there is a decent sized JW community here, so you won't have to be totally surrounded by the wicked of the world.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 AM

14,401 posts, read 14,325,606 times
I admit I don't like the tone of your question. It has a certain "holier than thou" ring to it. The Salt Lake area is becoming quite diverse and I could recommend it as a place to live for people of all faiths and religions. LDS people do celebrate Christmas, Easter, Halloween etc. and we enjoy it and obviously do not regard these as "pagan holidays". If you feel that way about these, I'd suggest you keep these thoughts to yourself not only in Utah, but in most places in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: