Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 85,701 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Park City. However, I noticed this year (being away for only 3 years) that there is a tremendous number of mexicans working in the restaurants and at the lifts. Before anyone calls me racist, I lived in San Antonio, TX and watched illegal mexicans destroy upscale malls in upscale neighborhoods in just a couple of years; guns, knives, theft. Once a mexican woman literally grabbed my then 10 year old by the arm and tried to drag her out of a movie theater lobby (she timed her grab when a children's movie let out) telling her she was going to "make her a model". Fortunately, my friend saw in time and stopped her. Also, 95% of outstanding homicide warrants in Los Angeles (where we live now) are for illegal mexicans. I've never before seen stores (even in upscale areas) with items locked behind bars. A long way of saying it's not skin color, it's behavior and crime. So, I wonder if anyone can tell me what's going on with the mexican population in Park City. Where are they living? Is the crime being controlled? Are these mexicans here legally, or illegally? Don't want to make a mistake.

Last edited by trsgrv; 03-18-2007 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Line upsetting people.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:29 PM

170 posts, read 847,104 times
No, you are not racist at all. All those "illegal" Mexicans do is rob, steal, murder, and rape. Furthermore their main objective in this country is to "steal" our aryan children.

Another group to watch out for are those damn Eskimos. If we don't do something they are going to take over all our fish and meat markets. We have to protect our freedoms!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM

That's not what I said. You're calling names rather than addressing the issue which happens to be very real whether you like it or not. Do some research on crime statistics. If you have children, you will see that it is normal to recognize dangerous populations, and want to protect your children from them. I did not say that "all" Mexicans are dangerous or criminals. I did state the obvious, that there are segments of that population responsible for the majority of crime in many areas. It is normal for me to try to understand what's happening in Park City, given my experiences in San Antonio. I don't know why you would not understand that someone trying to snatch my daughter frightened me, or that the fact that this particular mall has become dangerous due to guns, knives, etc. being brought into an area that was previously perfectly safe. Stop calling names without being rational.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Funny how I'm the one that needs to be rational

If mexicans were resposible for all or most of the crime in the country then the locations they populate would also the most dangerous, correct?

Here is some information for you. According to 2006 statistics here are the top 20 most dangerous states in the country:

1. Nevada
2. Louisiana
3. New Mexico
4. Arizona
5. Maryland
6. South Carolina
7. Florida
8. Tennessee
9. Alaska
10. California
11. Texas
12. Michigan
13. Georgia
14. Oklahoma
15. Arkansas
16. Washington
17. North Carolina
18. Alabama
19. Illinois
20. Missouri

Now the same 2006 statistics show the metro areas with the highest number of hispanic residents:

Place Hispanic Population Percentage of Total Population
1. New York, NY 2,160,554 27.0%
2. Los Angeles, CA 1,719,073 46.5%
3. Chicago, IL 753,644 26.0%
4. Houston, TX 730,865 37.4%
5. San Antonio, TX 671,394 58.7%
6. Phoenix, AZ 449,972 34.1%
7. El Paso, TX 431,875 76.6%
8. Dallas, TX 422,587 35.6%
9. San Diego, CA 310,752 25.4%
10. San Jose, CA 269,989 30.2%
11. Santa Ana, CA 257,097 76.1%
12. Miami, FL 238,351 65.8%
13. Hialeah, FL 204,543 90.3%
14. Laredo, TX 166,216 94.1%
15. Philadelphia, PA 128,928 8.5%
16. Brownsville, TX 127,535 91.3%
17. East Los Angeles, CA 120,307 96.8%
18. Oxnard, CA 112,807 66.2%
19. McAllen, TX 85,427 80.3%
20. El Monte, CA 83,945 72.4%

New York is not even in the top 20 most dangerous places. Texas is at #11 with California at #10. Chicago is #3 for hispanics but comes in at #19 in the most dangerous places list.

And unless there has been a huge influx of hispanics to Alaska I would say they are not the reason that state is #9 on the most dangerous list. Must be those Eskimos

You see, bigotry and hate can often cloud a person's good judgment. Just because you perceive every hispanic person as a criminal doesn't mean that they are.

I'm sorry somebody tried to kidnap your daughter, but I see and read about kidnappers on a daily bases and guess what? I would estimate that 70% of them are white with the remainder being African American. Here in Dallas there is a kidnap epidimic going around and the perpetrators are almost always white.

Crime and Ignorance comes in all colors and religions. By avoiding Mexicans you are not avoiding crime. What you are doing is being narrow minded and hateful. Good luck explaining that one to the Big Guy one day....

Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Oh, alright. I'm just trying to get information about saftey issues based on my previous experiences. I'm not looking for a lectures on how I should discount my personal experiences because you don't like my rational conclusions and concerns. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand, or not ask the question because some think I'm "just being racist". I got your point of view; you can move on now.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:09 PM

If you want to avoid crime, then avoid crime infested areas. You and I are in the same boat as far as that is concerned.

However, when choosing a place to live I go by various statistics to let me know if it is safe or not. Among them are the previous years numbers on crime and also the income level of residents; as income level does vary directly with crime levels.

What I don't do is steer clear of an entire ethnic group in hopes that it will make me safer. I know many Hispanics. I have worked with them and interacted with them. Some have been Hispanic Americans while others were foreign nationals probably undocumented.

A common feature about all of them was their honesty and humbleness. None were of the criminal mindset. The criminal element does exist as they do in every ethnic group.

I'm white of Portuguese/Italian parents. I don't want to be labled a certain way because of Al Capone or the KKK. The Mormons don't want to be labled a certain way because of Warren Jeffs. And I'm sure the Mexicans don't want to be labled criminals because of some idiots who shave their heads, pull their socks up to their knees and commit crimes.

Just things to think about.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 PM

I rather suspect that you are one of those lib types who judge without experience. Olmos Park/Alamo Heights areas of San Antonio are not places where criminals 'live'. They are not 'crime infested' neighborhoods. The crime has come to them. School children no longer go the The Quarry -- what was a new, outdoor, upscale mall in the center of these neighborhoods -- without pepper spray. If they go at all. You can preach and preach and preach, but until you have lived it, you simply do not have any basis for judging others, and are deliberately ignoring crime patterns and statistics associated with this population. It reminds me of the time I moved to Boston, and received superior lectures on how 'racist' Virginia was -- Boston being the only place I have ever lived in my life where minorities were relagated to their own town -- Roxbury. Do not judge what you have not lived. I don't want to fight with you, and I do not really even understand why you keep throwing judgements at me. That is not why I posted the question. If you don't have any useful information, I don't know why you're bothering. There are similar questions and comments all over these boards because these are the new realities many of us live with -- and I suspect you do not. People earn their distinctions through behavior. My experience in life is that the vast majority of Americans are not at all racist, but that does not mean that we cannot respond to personal experience, crime statistics, and so on. I do not judge you for disagreeing with me; please do not judge me for because you simiply disagree with my perception of my personal experience and research. Unless you have some specific crime data to share with me about the changing population of Park City Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, you should find someone else to harass. Clearly, what I am hoping to hear -- since we are planning a move there -- is that this particular influx of mexican immigrants is NOT causing the crime patterns that we have experienced in San Antonio and Los Angeles.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
the income level of residents; as income level does vary directly with crime levels....What I don't do is steer clear of an entire ethnic group in hopes that it will make me safer.
Well, I would say you are very enlightened and culturally embracing. It’s just the low income and poverty level folks you avoid, which is purely economic in nature and has no connection to race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: