Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Texas to Idaho or Utah upon retirement, desiring; small town 2000K or less, all four seasons, not a lot of snow, rural atmosphere, low crime

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating moving to Idaho or Utah when I retire within six years. I was raised in California and have lived in Texas for the past 30 years. I am needing to escape the brutally hot, humid, and long summers and I haven't really ever liked the South anyway for one reason or another.

A few things I'm looking for:

not a lot of snow, decent summer temperatures

no city life for me and far away from it ~ rural town with a tad of charm ~ a modest home and an acre or two ~ population low, not over 2,000 (lesser the better) ~ prefer living on the outskirts of a small town

no bad air quality due to it traveling to a small town from a larger city, hence another reason to be away from the maddening crowd

would like an area with a view of the mountains and lots of trees

low crime

Can anyone give me a jump start on what small towns to check out? I have a Utah travel guide and have checked out a few areas via the internet, but I'd like to hear firsthand what people who live in Utah have to say.

I have been looking around Cedar City and St. George via the web but as I said, a small town is what I'm looking for.

I'm sorry to say I've never been to Utah, but it surely looks like a great place to live. Four distinct seasons would be nice, just nothing brutal in any of them.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 AM

16 posts, read 110,353 times
Default Leeds ut

You just described Leeds UT. It is about 5 miles north of Washington which is right above St George. Silver Reef is part of Leeds and is a historical mineing town. There are no apartment complexes or fast food restaurants in this town. It is right off the 15 and has great freeway access. The east side of town is very affordable while the west side of town is very, very, high end. The west side gives you jaw dropping views of Zions and Pine Valley Mountain. The west side gives you 360 degree views. Most lots are 1-5 acres. I have been looking at several lots in Silver Reef Highlands that are a little over an acre with BLM land behind it which means they may never build behind these lots. There is also a road that takes you right through Silver Reef Highlands and into part of Pine Valley Mountain. At the end of the road is a beautiful alpine meadow camp ground with streams and huge pine trees. The views of Zions from this camp ground area will blow you away. To get lots of trees in Southern Utah means usually your dealing with snow. From Leeds you can easily drop down to Washington to shop at Costco or whatever. The LDS church has a getaway house for the LDS president in west Leeds for inspiration. You could buy a acre plus lot fairly cheap right now in west leads from 100,000-175,000 and build when you retire. I would never buy a lot or house that doesnt face north or south. You do not want to face directly west or east and especially in the desert. You never did mention you price range. Also check out Dammeron Valley UT. This is NW of St George and does have more trees but also more snow. It has a area called Pinion Hills which is comprised of all adobe type houses. It is a beautiful area. I spend time in Idaho every year but will never live there because of the winters. Idaho is a great state if you can handle the snow and ice. Greater St George is great because you can drop down into Las Vegas which is about two hours away and have anything your heart desires. I hate Vegas but cannot deny that it has some of the best dining, entertainment, and shopping in the world. Its the perfect distance away from St George. Check out greater Hurricane if your looking to spend less money. I almost forgot to mention that Southern UT does get hot in the summer time. Its a dry heat and cant compare to the humid heat of Texas.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 PM

Wow, thanks a bunch for all this information. I will check it out this evening when I get a little more spare time. I'm looking to only spend about $200,000, so that might be a problem in the beautiful state of Utah. I should never have left California because living in Texas, well, the home prices are not much. I cringe when I think what my home is now worth in CA. I don't have to have acreage, but I definitely want to be off the beaten track.

Oh, I know about the dry heat. We actually had two days last year when summer first began in May where the temperature was 95 and dry. I didn't need A/C at all; it was great. Sure, a little warm but nothing like when it's humid and makes a person crazy.

I'm not LDS, but I don't have a problem with that; I'm sure I can find a little Baptist Church if my dream of leaving Texas transpires.

This travel guide I have is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could stand months of cold because of the trees, but that's okay. The rest of Utah looks beautiful as well.

Thanks much; I look forward to checking out the information you provided. Now I must meet my sister for a late lunch.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 110,353 times
Dont listen to all the LDS negativity. They are like any one else except held to a higher standard for some reason. I am not LDS either. View the LDS as the care takers of UT and appreciate that they love their state and show it by taking care of it. I always see the different wards out by the highways picking up trash and so on. They have Swiss infrastructure compared to CA. They are also one of the only states that run their budget in the black. They also have one of the highest employment rates of any state. Utah also has more state and federal parks than any other state. Of course it is not utopia. A good friend of mine moved to St George in 2001 and loves it. He is not LDS. He deals with many LDS and they treat him very well. If you decide to buy a place make sure you get in contact with him, his name is Larry Lawson and he works for Kellar Williams in St George. He is extremely easy going and has the patients of a saint. He just sent me an e-mail of a newer home in Washington UT that sits right on a golf course with views of Pine Valley mountain right behind it. You get views of the mountains and the golf course behind you instead of your neighbors house. The views are awesome from the entire back of the house. The price is 180,000 and its about 1,400 sq ft. Going by this example you will be able to find what you want if you buy before their market goes back up. Their is a ton of interest in Southern UT. The east side of Leeds is also perfect for you. You can still get great views of Zions and Pine Valley Mountain for your price range. If freeway access is important to you then you will love it. If it isnt then Hurricane and Washington fit the bill. St George proper will basically be the most expensive. I much prefer it outside of town. I have several acres in two different locations in Southern Utah and cant wait to build. I only live in CA because of my and my wifes employment. California is supposed to be so laid back but in reality Southern Utah is much more laid back in my experience. If you like out door activities than you have found your paradise. The outdoor activities are endless. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks, TDECK.

Utah sounds heavenly. I checked out those areas you mentioned and they look so pretty. I wish I could buy and move tomorrow, but it will be several years before I can do so. I just hope I'm not too old by then to up and move hundreds of miles away. Oh well, I've plenty of time to find my paradise and visit it before making my final decision. I don't care about freeway access, so I will concentrate on Hurricane and Washington. Then again, the other is great too. There is nothing wrong with living near freeway access even if it's not needed often.

Where in CA do you live? My hometown is Burbank.

Thanks again for all your great advice.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

239 posts, read 952,623 times
TDeck summed it very well! If you could handle a little more snow and cooler summers, you might look at Parowan. Just north of Cedar City. Great deals to be had on homes in Cedar and the nearby towns of Enoch, New Harmony and Kanaraville as well. It is a buyers market for sure right now!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby04 View Post
TDeck summed it very well! If you could handle a little more snow and cooler summers, you might look at Parowan. Just north of Cedar City. Great deals to be had on homes in Cedar and the nearby towns of Enoch, New Harmony and Kanaraville as well. It is a buyers market for sure right now!
Nothing Utah has in summer can compare to the misery in Texas. Cooler summers sound wonderful; I am just worried about snow and cold. I will check out your recommendations. Thanks much!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Nothing Utah has in summer can compare to the misery in Texas. Cooler summers sound wonderful; I am just worried about snow and cold. I will check out your recommendations. Thanks much!!!
My vote is southern Utah....that's where we are moving next year. St. George has very little snow. The summers are very hot, and you will hear this a lot...it's a dry heat. I tell my husband that, as he is leaving Oklahoma (very humid) to the dry heat of Utah.
Cedar City is nice. My husband doesn't want much snow, so that's why we chose St. George, or I would of been up in Northern Utah (Layton where I am from)

Utah is beautiful........you would love the mountains!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
My vote is southern Utah....that's where we are moving next year. St. George has very little snow. The summers are very hot, and you will hear this a lot...it's a dry heat. I tell my husband that, as he is leaving Oklahoma (very humid) to the dry heat of Utah.
Cedar City is nice. My husband doesn't want much snow, so that's why we chose St. George, or I would of been up in Northern Utah (Layton where I am from)

Utah is beautiful........you would love the mountains!
I know I would love the mountains. I am falling in love with the state just via the internet and I know in person, it must be even better. I just hope my dream becomes a reality in the not-too-distant future. You leaving OK and my dream of leaving TX means we leave the violent thunderstorm and tornadoes behind. Yes!!!

Are you planning on living in the city or on the outskirts of St. George?

Thanks for your post!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I know I would love the mountains. I am falling in love with the state just via the internet and I know in person, it must be even better. I just hope my dream becomes a reality in the not-too-distant future. You leaving OK and my dream of leaving TX means we leave the violent thunderstorm and tornadoes behind. Yes!!!

Are you planning on living in the city or on the outskirts of St. George?

Thanks for your post!!!
Awww, you don't like the Thuderstorms??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: