U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,454 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering moving to Logan for work at the University there. I am from south eastern Idaho and was raised Mormon, so I am familiar with the conservativeness of Utah. If it was just my partner and myself moving to Logan we could handle people's discomfort with us being lesbians, but we have a baby now so we can't just tolerate people's intolerance without considering him. So, we are wondering if anyone out there has a sense of how difficult life might be for our son as he grows up and starts school. I know people, especially young people, in Idaho are increasingly accepting. Is the same true of young people in Utah? Will our son deal with discrimination from his classmates and teachers in school? Will his life be miserable as the boy with two mommies in Logan, Utah?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:53 PM

11,343 posts, read 10,841,227 times
I don't live in Logan. I have lived in Utah for many, many years and I know people who do live in Logan. To really understand anything, you have to appreciate that Logan is what I will call a "divided community". You have one group of people who is there because of USU. This group largely stays to itself and interacts almost completely with others at USU. I would imagine that in this day and age this group would be relatively accepting of two lesbian women with a child. Than you have the old time residents in the community. They often don't interact much with people at the university. Many of these families have lived here for one hundred to one hundred and fifty years. They can generally be characterized as socially conservative, very LDS, and not terribly welcoming of outsiders. This group is more numerous than the college community.

I guess I am saying if you could stick entirely within the college community during your time at USU it might go ok. If you can't do that you may find the area intolerant and unwelcoming, particularly for someone leading a non-traditional lifestyle.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,454 times
Thank you for your reply. I guess then we need to figure out if our son will be ok in the public school system or there are private schools he can attend. I'm sure there will be able to make plenty of friends through university contacts that won't treat him badly--for any reason other than kids just do that sometimes . Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 361 times
Did you wind up moving to Logan? My partner and I are thinking about moving there for work... We have two kids. I would like to know if the school system there is gay friendly. Thank you!

Old 02-24-2021, 03:40 PM

24,307 posts, read 24,859,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy babb View Post
Did you wind up moving to Logan? My partner and I are thinking about moving there for work... We have two kids. I would like to know if the school system there is gay friendly. Thank you!
I don't know if you noticed or not, Tammy, but this thread is 12 years old. You might want to start a new one since the person who wrote the OP is no longer posting here.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:40 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,691,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy babb View Post
I think "gay friendly" is going to be very subjective. It's mostly going to be dependent on you and your family's comfort level. Logan, Utah is a relatively conservative place, like Utah more generally. However, it is also bound by some of the most extensive LGBT-rights legislation in the country. Facing outright hostility is unlikely. But, like anywhere, unkind encounters are possible.

Old Today, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 31 times
I lived in Cache County for years. I have seen Gay person holding hand in Lowes once. It seems like nobody really care about what other people do. I also walked into restaurant , server ( man ) talked about his boyfriend is from California . It seems like gay people are more open about them being Gay in Utah than Southern California. I do not hear too much that Gay people openly talk about his boy friend, or holding hand in public in Southern Calif. I think Young University student do not care that much about Gay / lesbian, but older person might have objection, and they may say or show objection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah