Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 69,686 times

Advertisements

just an FYI: Being a mother is a FULL-TIME JOB!

Why is it if a mother chooses to stay at home to raise the kids, she is deemed stuck up or lazy? sounds more like jealousy & envy.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
This is not exactly what you are saying. However, I admit I have a prejudice of sorts about *some* young mothers. Before anyone gets upset, I want to say I know plenty of normal young mothers as well. The group I'm referring to tends to be in their early twenties. They tend to be oblivious to everything in the world except for THEIR children, THEIR spouse, THEIR home, etc. She has a look in her eyes when she goes out that tells you she sees very little else.

This type of mother often does things like refuse to allow her children to play outside their yard because she is afraid they'll be kidnapped or molested. She genuinely thinks terrorists might bomb the children's school bus stop. I suppose all these things are theoretical possibilities, but to base your life around these remote possibilities is ridiculous.

The world exists only as an adjunct to meeting the needs of the three forementioned things. They certainly don't exist in just Draper or Utah. You can find them everywhere. I believe its a generational thing. Some of us are old enough that we actually didn't grow up with a tv on all the time. Some of us actually went outside and played around our neighborhoods and met other children when we were little.

What I fear the most is that mothers like this are raising dysfunctional families. The kids will grow up unable to communicate with other kids. They'll grow up paranoid and fearful about everything in the world.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM

77 posts, read 243,427 times
It's a different game now. I am 25, 3 kids and I love being deemed "stuck up" & high maintenance" if it means I have my family's best interests at heart. Some people just don't get it. Those of us that do... well yes, we appear like we don't know what goes on outside our world, but trust me, we do... which is why we do things we do. Oh dear... I am late to my pedi/manicure!

CIAO!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermountain Dog View Post
My sister in law just moved to Draper and they are in a very good school system. They live right off of downtown Draper. It is really a lovely city, close to the mountains. Don't worry about the mormon thing, it's not an issue. However, Draper is pretty costly to live in, they have a pretty high housing cost, especially closer to the mountains. My husband is a realtor if you have any questions, he would be more than happy talking to you.
Quote:
What's with the high maintenance and stuck up women in Draper? Do any of them work? I'm sick of the better than though attitude that runs through Utah. Everyone is always trying to keep up images and with the Jones's, especially the LDS. I mean, who could be fully made up, hair coiffed with 5 kids in tow all just as neat, clean and fashionable. They must have a nanny.
change of heart? maybe you've seen our true colors since the first post? or maybe you just had a couple of bad experiences and decided that you need a scapegoat?

i find it interesting that you complain about the stuck up and better than thou attitudes that you deal with in those around you, and then in the same breath judge them as morally wrong or inferior if they do not work.

seems a little stuck up and pretentious to me. this thread shows more about your own personality than it does anyone of the arrogant people that you are apparently surrounded by.

have fun with that mentality; history shows that it'll take you far in life.

aaron out.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM

good work, aaron.

intermountain dog just sounds bitter that she is not one of those stuck-up, high-maintenance draper women...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
What's with the high maintenance and stuck up women in Draper? Do any of them work? I'm sick of the better than though attitude that runs through Utah. Everyone is always trying to keep up images and with the Jones's, especially the LDS. I mean, who could be fully made up, hair coiffed with 5 kids in tow all just as neat, clean and fashionable. They must have a nanny.
Don't demean the CHOSEN ones. Its sounds like a lot jealousy or your getting slapped down. Just hope that you can be as wholesome and delightful as these pure vessels.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Cleanliness is Godliness.

When you meet someone wo seems to project an image of "having it all together" many times it is because they DO have it all together (or as together as one can be). People who are well kept, neat and have their children following the same, are usually people who have their home life in order and lawns mowed. If they "appear" to be stuck up or high maintenance, I'd say that is more in the eye of the beholder... Sometimes when we come across people that "have it all together" we think oh there must be something wrong with them... or try to find fault.

Last edited by snowlover7; 04-19-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWord View Post
Coming from a place that endorses the public wear of pajamas and slippers, I look forward to seeing some well-maintained mothers and their well-mannered children when I move to SLC.
I wouldnt go so far to say there well mannered children haha. seems a HUGE majority of the children here are terrible in my eyes. I guess most people here tend to be against disciplining there children. As I have said before, I work in several peoples houses a day so I come across ALOT of kids. my lord, I have gotten to the point where I have to tell the kids to go do this or that. the parents will be sitting there, the kids come and start pushing buttons on the remote while im setting up there tv and mess stuff up and the parents are like "o ha ha im sorry, bad girl" and they turn them the other way. 1 minute later, guess what there doing again?

im sorry if this sounds rude, I have NOTHING against the lds church what so ever. One thing that made me SO angry about the few times I have went to the church to see what it was about was the lack of respect in that place. Kids whining, crawling all over the place, standing in there seats, talking during the prayers etc. the worste part is that the parents LET THEM DO IT. there is no discipline, no punishments. Hell, there was very little, if any corrections at all. This was the same all 3 times I went, 2 times in florida and once here when I got here.

The churches I came from you of course had babies so one may start crying but as soon as you heard it, you saw a mom or dad running out the back to get outside until the kid stopped, then they returned. A very considerate thing to do for the other people who want to know what is being said without the distractions of kids. That honestly uphauled me and really pissed me off when I went. Its not even my religion and I just cant understand how people can be so disrespectul in a place like that

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Default Blame It On Suncrest...

I'm tellin ya, it's all Suncrest's fault. The neighborhood has a commanding view of the entire S.L. valley and the residents have developed a taste for..........looking down on people!!......

Hey, the thread needed some levity......

Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
im sorry if this sounds rude, I have NOTHING against the lds church what so ever. One thing that made me SO angry about the few times I have went to the church to see what it was about was the lack of respect in that place. Kids whining, crawling all over the place, standing in there seats, talking during the prayers etc. the worste part is that the parents LET THEM DO IT. there is no discipline, no punishments. Hell, there was very little, if any corrections at all. This was the same all 3 times I went, 2 times in florida and once here when I got here.
i don't think that it sounds rude; bratty kids bug me too. it just gets into the arena of child psychology, which is a highly divisible subject, and you have to realize that even in public there is only so much that parents can do to control their toddlers before good control becomes bad control. whether or not the parents you've encountered were good or bad, i can't say. i've certainly seen both in the church.

there are stern parents and liberal parents and every mix in between in the church too. my wife, for example is much more liberal than i am when it comes to parenting. but then again, she's a psychologist, and she does tend to know what she's talking about in that area more than i do.

but that is a theme for another thread... in another forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah