Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM

132 posts, read 687,601 times

Advertisements

Wow! I was just shocked to find in FAQ sections for the local cities there, that there are only 2 dogs allowed. We have more than that & they're all like part of our family. But one is 13 & probably won't be with us too much longer at her age & all. Our doggies are small or toy size. Our whole goal has been to wean down to 2 dogs, but naturally over time. Didn't want to have to ever have give any away or sell.

Also, in the midwest, rabbits are a huge thing, with all the 4-H rabbit shows and state and national rabbit shows & conventions all over the place. So, we know people with tons of rabbits. They're kept in larger sheds usually. My daughter & hubby love having rabbits. I know they have the rabbit shows & 4-H in Utah, too.

Also, noticed while looking at a big realtor website, that some house ads say "pets allowed". Does that mean some areas pets are NOT allowed? Is that common? Would greatly appreciate your answers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 PM

129 posts, read 515,519 times
Perhaps the "pets allowed" are from developments that have a HOA; some of these restrict pets, others allow them.

As far as other restrictions, most cities have some form of these otherwise what is meant to be a 'residential' area could be host to pigs, chickens, multiple pets, etc., which in most cities around the nation does not fit the classification of 'residential.' Perhaps you should be looking at areas where farms, and mini-farms, are located? Just a suggestion.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Just come and live where I do. Our neighbors across the street have about 10 alpacas, and some other ones have a cow and horses. Of course they each have about 2 acres. I also saw a peacock running loose through the neighborhood one day. Another time it was shetland ponies, but animal control was called eventually rounded them up.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Mini-farm would be a dream!

Yeah, a mini-farm or even a 1-2 acres would be heaven. I can only hope & pray.

But figured we couldn't afford it at the prices over there. House prices already look steep. Anytime I do a search on the main Realtor website, I never get any houses with any amount of land really, so figure they must be way out of our range.

BTW, how picky are they about the 2 dog thing? I've just never heard of stuff like that, and I've lived in 3 states and many cities.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM

56 posts, read 254,178 times
Unfortunately to get a decent plot of land these days you have to live on outskirts of Salt Lake City. You can still find homes on larger areas of land if you are willing to live in Ogden Logan, or Cedar City (although those are starting to increase in price as well).

On the two dog thing, I don't think it's too much of a worry (there are some 3 dog families on my block). It's not like the police are going door to door looking for the "alleged" third-dog. That being said, if you give neighbors a reason to complain, they do have a way to take care of their concerns. We had a friend in the Midwest who lived in the middle of town, but their neighbor still had a Shetland Pony. One day animal control came to collect the animal and the people were devastated. I think the truth is that if you had 3 Jack Russels, people probably wouldn't even know (or care). If you had a herd of Doberman's that roamed the neighborhood, you might have some problems.

-askslc

Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Tooele county is probably the closest relatively affordable area to get a couple of acres near Salt Lake.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:33 PM

Smile askslc

Thanks for your encouraging words! That sure made me feel better. And "the alleged 3rd dog" thing gave my daughter & I a good laugh.

Man a pony in the middle of town. Wow! Now, that would be a big deal.

Yeah, I like the idea of getting along well with my neighbors. That's always been my main goal. I have real close neighbors right now. We're there for each other and look out for each other. So, that's been a great blessing! IF this job works out and we really like the area on a visit, then I'll be hoping & praying for some very laid back, nice neighbors who LOVE pets.

Another question. So far, all the places I've lived, there's never been a neighborhood that ever cares or even checks about dog licenses. I've never known anyone ever that got them for their pets my whole life. But, didn't know if maybe in that area they are just real strict and enforce that or something? My daughter wants me to ask if pets are as big a thing there as anywhere else you've lived?

askslc, at least I know there are people that love dogs around some areas, by some having 3 in your area. And hey, I have nothing against those cat-lovers out there either.

Thought that I better ask these pet questions to local Utahns in advance, being our dogs mean a lot to us. And I really enjoy chatting w/you guys who live there. You've all already been a great help. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by mountainfaith; 12-07-2006 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Smile coolcats

Thanks for that info. as well. After a couple Utahns here have told me about possibly looking further like Logan, etc...I thought maybe we SHOULD broaden our research. I'd hate for my hubby to have to 'commute' again. Loved the idea of living within 15 min. of his work at least, and thought Layton seemed a pretty good fit for us. So was looking at visiting that area and surrounding areas still, too.

But I'll try to keep more open I guess, about the possibility of having a commute if it really needs to be that way. IF this job pans out, I KNOW the Lord will work it all out in the end. He ALWAYS does. PTL! \ /

Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 AM

56 posts, read 254,178 times
mountainfaith-

I think you'll find a that Utah is full of dog lovers. I am unfamiliar with areas outside Salt Lake City, but I can speak to some of the great activities around here. I'd say the thing we enjoy most with our dogs is to hike an area called Mill Creek Canyon. It is a canyon that is on the east side of Salt Lake City. There are tons of great hikes that can last 4+ hours (or as little time as you want). On odd days of the month, you can take your dogs off-leash and let them hike with you. One hike ends at a place called Dog Lake (a nice sized lake where dogs go swimming) which sits up in the mountains. Lots of dogs make this trek every weekend.

As for licensing, I think it is a good idea. I haven't always had my dog licensed in previous towns. However, at least in Salt Lake, if one of your dogs were to "escape" and animal control gets a hold of them, dogs that are unlicensed can get put to sleep in 3 days (not very long). If you have them licensed, they have to wait at least 6 days. I just think it is a good insurance policy. I'm not sure if that varies around the state, but I would check depending on where you end up.

Glad to have another dog lover in the state!!!

-askslc

Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up askslc

That sure is good to know about the dog licenses.

And yeah, I feel better just knowing there are many dog fans out there already!

Hubby thinks the move is about 95% sure, but we're making sure to leave that 5%, cuz as we've seen many times, ANYTHING can happen until it's a firm thing. And I asked the Lord to only let it work out if its in HIS greater will, cuz that's the only place I want to be. Only HE knows the future and what outcome is best for us, so resting in Him for that path.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out, but it may be days to weeks. That's the hard part - THE WAITING. haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah