U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM

34 posts, read 173,826 times

Advertisements

Hi out there:
I was wondering if anyone could give me input on Cedar City? The climate, vegetation, growth, types of employment, etc. My husband and I have retired recently and are planning to move and would like to find a town that is growing, but still on the small to medium size. Also, elevation is a factor in that a cooler climate that comes with the higher elevation would be a plus.

Thanks for any help, Biolynx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM

413 posts, read 1,501,328 times
My wife and myself just moved here 6 days ago and we love everything about it. The weather, the people, the City. How can you go wrong looking oput your window when it's 72 outside with snow on the mountains not 1/2 mile away.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 PM

239 posts, read 886,905 times
I live 45 miles west of Cedar City in a small farming community. Been here 12 years now from California and love it. We have four seasons that are perfect. The vegetation ranges from sagebrush to pinon and cedar in higher elevations. We do get some fall colors in the mountains, nothing like you are used to, I am sure! Most homes have few, if any trees. All new developments are built in old alfalfa fields. Cedar City was just voted one of the 10 best places to live. Southern Utah University and Iron County School district are two big employers. Wages are not the best, unemployment is low. My husband is a painting contractor and has a hard time finding help at 12-15 per hour!
We have been looking at houses in Cedar, a lot available, average 250,000.
Look on www.thespectrum.com, they have a good real estate search engine.
Even though we are growing, there is still a small town feel, the clerks in stores recognize you, a nice main street, etc. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
My wife and myself just moved here 6 days ago and we love everything about it. The weather, the people, the City. How can you go wrong looking oput your window when it's 72 outside with snow on the mountains not 1/2 mile away.
=======================

(How can you go wrong looking out your window when it's 72 outside with snow on the mountains not 1/2 mile away)

Indeed. You definitely can't go wrong with all of that. Thanks for such positive input. I appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby04 View Post
I live 45 miles west of Cedar City in a small farming community. Been here 12 years now from California and love it. We have four seasons that are perfect. The vegetation ranges from sagebrush to pinon and cedar in higher elevations. We do get some fall colors in the mountains, nothing like you are used to, I am sure! Most homes have few, if any trees. All new developments are built in old alfalfa fields. Cedar City was just voted one of the 10 best places to live. Southern Utah University and Iron County School district are two big employers. Wages are not the best, unemployment is low. My husband is a painting contractor and has a hard time finding help at 12-15 per hour!
We have been looking at houses in Cedar, a lot available, average 250,000.
Look on www.thespectrum.com, they have a good real estate search engine.
Even though we are growing, there is still a small town feel, the clerks in stores recognize you, a nice main street, etc. Good Luck!
=================================
Thanks for all of your input. How is the weather in the summer, especially the temps during the hottest months. I do like that fact that there is not much vegetation. For a person with allergies that is always an improvement. Having four definite seasons would be a nice chenge too. Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM

You will still be botheres by allergies, sage brush and cottonwood! Been here 12 years, only 2 summers I can recall that were miserable because of 95 + and high humidity. The rest of summer is glorius, 80s to 90.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,765,156 times
Yes, you will have allergies there.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM

338 posts, read 947,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby04 View Post
Been here 12 years, only 2 summers I can recall that were miserable because of 95 + and high humidity. The rest of summer is glorius, 80s to 90.
Sounds good !
How's the winters ? How much snow, temps on average ?

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM

You can probably get accurate data from this site or a weather site. Off the top of my head, only 2-3 winters where there was snow on ground all winter, one time was Halloween to Mothers Day! Last year we had a couple of heavy storms that dumped 10-12 inches, very unusual. Normally it melts off in a few days with temps averaging 50-60. Roads are kept plowed well, I think it is just the right amount! Does not get too far below 0 very much.
Again this is general and I live 45 miles west of Cedar in a valley. Sometimes it is snowing in Cedar and not here. Best thing is you can drive to St. George when it is snowing here and go golfing in shorts! The snow on the red rocks and mountains is stunning as well.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 81,471 times
Default My neck of the woods :)

Hello there,

I grew up in Cedar and Saint George. My extended family has been there since dirt roads. One of the nice things about Cedar is that location wise you are never too far away from somewhere cooler or warmer. Within about a 1 hour drive or less you can leave and find nice warm temps in the winter and vice versa in the summer. It is situated at the base of lovely mountains and there are established cabin communities in the hills for summer getaways, lots of fishing, hiking, camping, etc.

The summers in Cedar are generally mild. The temps do climb on ocassion but usually stay below well below 100. Coming from Saint George and 120 degrees (where I live now) Cedar is wonderfully cool in the summer.
The winters in Cedar are more unpredictable. Some winters there is snow from early October through March. Generally though, there will be snow in late Oct to early November and a few storms through the year until about April. As a pp mentioned the town is well equipped to handle the snow and if you don't have anywhere to go you can actually just sit back and watch it fall-- very nice. If you have to be out in it a 4 wheel drive vehicle is a nice option, especially if you choose to live on the outskirts of town. If you don't want to scrape snow & ice off your windshield get a house with a garage.

Spring is windy. Cedar in general is windy most of the year. Take a look at the trees and you will notice most of them grow futher out one direction. Fall is crisp and lovely. If you would like particulars on weather try www.accuweather.com and type in zip code 84720.

Wild vegetation includes rabbit brush, crabgrass, sagebrush, cactus, junipers, scrub oak and a variety of other small weeds and desert type flowers (ie globemallow). Allergies are still a problem for those with sensitivities to the local flora. Lots of cottonwoods in the area brought by the pioneers for shade because they grow so fast.

The town is growing. It has grown by leaps and bounds in the past few years. I can actually go shopping now while there visiting family and NOT run into a dozen people I know. For a town its size there is a surprising quality and quantity of cultural events to enjoy. Most notably the Shakespearean festival and other theatrical productions through the University. Employment is somewhat limited. Mostly service oriented, menial labor or construction type jobs. The University, law enforcement agencies and hospital offer a little more variety.

If you have specific questions you'd like answered you can always type here and I will be happy to answer as best I can. Good luck in relocating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: