Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times

Advertisements

Holy cow,
I can only assume you have never spent time in a developing country. There are far worse illnesses out there already, not just "potential" problems. Why are you so focused on the swine flu, which has killed FAR fewer people than the regular flu?

At least if I get the swine flu, I'll only get it once. You're living the flu fear every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Details about the demographics of this H1N1 flu victim are now available.

You may want to assess if you, a family member or someone else with whom you've had close contact has been at the medical facilities mentioned during the time this man was a patient at two different hospitals. I wish all the hospital workers, RNs, MDs and others who cared for this patient health.

PLEASE take precautions to limit your risk and the risk to others if you may be a carrier of this virus.

How would one know if they are carrier? Safest to assume you are, given how many infections UT has and how the the CDC is stating they believe infections are being under-reported.

ksl.com - Family of swine flu victim speaks to KSL

Stay well~

MSR
Since so few are dying from the swine flu I would be no more likely to assess if I'd been exposed to it than to assess if I've been exposed to regular seasonal flu. That is to say, I would not assess it at all! It's probably best to get swine flu right now actually. That way, if it does in fact mutate, those who have already had swine flu might at least have some resistance

Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 16,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Since so few are dying from the swine flu I would be no more likely to assess if I'd been exposed to it than to assess if I've been exposed to regular seasonal flu. That is to say, I would not assess it at all! It's probably best to get swine flu right now actually. That way, if it does in fact mutate, those who have already had swine flu might at least have some resistance
That's a good point, frogandtoad. I've been laughing about how everybody is so frantic about this illness. I have been continuing with my normal hygiene routine, and not spreading germs, simply it's just plain gross when someone sneezes or coughs into the air or their hand. Using your shoulder or shirt to cover your mouth is a lot more sanitary anyway.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Smile For Those Who Want Serious Information, Check the Idaho Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerful View Post
That's a good point, frogandtoad. I've been laughing about how everybody is so frantic about this illness. I have been continuing with my normal hygiene routine, and not spreading germs, simply it's just plain gross when someone sneezes or coughs into the air or their hand. Using your shoulder or shirt to cover your mouth is a lot more sanitary anyway.
flowerful,

Glad to hear you can laugh. Everyone involved with caring for the ill aren't laughing. We need people like you to give us comic relief.

frogandtoad, glad to know you aren't worried. Sounds like neither of you will need any resources other individuals and families in UT need. It is good to know there are people like both of you willing to not worry or prepare so others can.

How many people do you personally know, either or you, who have had
A/H1N1? I'm sure you both recognize some patterns seen in UT, which must be why you aren't worried. Probably neither of you have kids in certain schools where other kids who tested positive, and some were hospitalized, continued going to school for 1-2 weeks with mild symptoms until they got really, really ill and required far more aggressive care.

Thanks for the laughs. I do mean that sincerely.

For those who are trying to learn more, as some have already done, I'd recommed following the ID thread. I've posted a lot of information about UT on that thread.

Of course, that is for people who "worry" about things like this when churches, scout camps, schools close due to the outbreaks. Given remarks in the SL Trib's article today, if indeed there is a shortage of antivirals in UT, again, it is nice to know that neither or you (or possibly your friends/families/fellow workers etc.) won't be needing treatment.

It's such a small deal in UT, that UT leads the west, except for CA, in the number of cases. UT has been considered the 3rd "hottest spot" in the U.S. at one point in the past 10 days. The State Health Dept. stopped processing labs from anyone not hospitalized, due to the volume of samples. But, it's no big deal right?

What other state in the U.S. has stopped processing samples?

For the first time ever, the state regulatory board that oversees licensed practitioners adopted emergency provisions late last week about what an MD or other provider, wouldn't have to do in this Pandemic situation, to treat other exposed family members etc. That is a first for DOPL, as far as I know.

flowerful and frogandtoad, both of you must have lived through pandemics previously and can understand the epidemiology of a disease that CDC and others haven't cracked. Please share that knowledge. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in your scientific data. Plus, perhaps the state of UT could learn from your experiences and know how to best focus on those who not only want the help, but need it.

For those of you who want references to this information and more, please check the ID thread, like many from UT are now doing.

MSR

Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,899 times
You are SO condescending! You can add me to the list of people who don't deserve treatment in the highly unlikely event that they get sick because they are not running around in a panic over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah