Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwden View Post
Ok, I am too lazy to read all 19 pages here, so I'll just ask it. Every time I mention our move to Utah, people tell me to watch out, its all mormons and the very next thing out of their mouth is that its cool b/c I can more than one wife.
The state of Utah is predominently LDS -- about 70%, as I recall. Salt Lake City is roughly 50% LDS. Somebody may be able to give you stats that are a little more accurate, but those are ballpark figures.

Quote:
Now I have been researching mormons here on CD for a month or so and have never seen anything about that. Was this common years ago? Is this just a myth? Someone please shed some light for me.
Polygamy (the Latter-day Saints generally use the term "plural marriage") was an "official" practice within the Church from 1852 until 1890. A few of the LDS leaders (notably Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) had practiced it before that time, and a few individuals continued to practice it after the Church leadership condemned it in what has come to be known as "the Manifesto." Contrary to what most people believe, it was never practiced my more than about 5% of all LDS men. When you include all of the women and children living in plural marriage households, about 20% of all church members were affected. The practice -- while you may be unlikely to believe it -- did have its root in religious beliefs and not in sexual promiscuity. After all, nobody ever did have to be married to engage in sex with multiple partners -- not back in the 1800s any more than today. At any rate, the practice was officially discontinued in 1890, and Utah was granted statehood six years later. Today, any man or woman found to be living in a polygamous relationship is promptly excommunicated from the Church.

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie to you. If I can have lots of wives and keep them all working so I can go skiing all day long, I'm gonna move there tomorrow. ;-)
That sounds like quite a deal. Are you worth sharing?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
One of my friends is from a pioneer fmaily and she has her grandmother's diaries. The 4 wives were friends and were happiest when the husband was out for months, huinting and trapping. They liked NOT having him around.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-28-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:47 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,144 times
Quote:
Ok, I am too lazy to read all 19 pages here, so I'll just ask it. Every time I mention our move to Utah, people tell me to watch out, its all mormons and the very next thing out of their mouth is that its cool b/c I can more than one wife. Now I have been researching mormons here on CD for a month or so and have never seen anything about that. Was this common years ago? Is this just a myth? Someone please shed some light for me.

I'm not gonna lie to you. If I can have lots of wives and keep them all working so I can go skiing all day long, I'm gonna move there tomorrow. ;-)
I'm thinking your friends idea of 'seeing the world' is flipping on HBO

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM

31 posts, read 78,035 times
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. I will have to pass the word the next time someone questions me.

I don't think any of the people I have talked to have ever been to Utah, so yes, they have formed their opinion from either TV, a book or probably just got it from someone else talking.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

128 posts, read 243,186 times
Default And another way to find out is ask here,

Quote:
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. I will have to pass the word the next time someone questions me.

I don't think any of the people I have talked to have ever been to Utah, so yes, they have formed their opinion from either TV, a book or probably just got it from someone else talking.
But make sure you talk to both Mormons and non-Mormons that live in Utah.

I've been here for 2 years. moved from Michigan. I married someone who had been Mormon and has since converted.
But, I'm not here (on this thread) to talk about religion.
Don't let anyone fool you, Mormonism is predominant in this state, as it should be, I guess. But...the percentage of people living here that are LDS/non-LDS is about 60/40%.

There are more areas that are 'LDS saturated' than others.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:03 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
I'm thinking your friends idea of 'seeing the world' is flipping on HBO
I think it's funny how people think Big Love represents all of Utah, and that's how all mormons are. I love the show, and it's the only show I make time to watch during the week and they make it abundantly clear that they are not in the norm and not a part of the mainstream church

Old 01-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
Don't let anyone fool you, Mormonism is predominant in this state...
What on earth would prompt a comment like that? Has somebody out there been trying to fool somebody else without my picking up on it?

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-29-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
I think it's funny how people think Big Love represents all of Utah, and that's how all mormons are. I love the show, and it's the only show I make time to watch during the week and they make it abundantly clear that they are not in the norm and not a part of the mainstream church
Big Love is my favorite show! I absolutely love it! Unfortunately, I don't have HBO. My daughter does, though, and we generally watch a couple of episodes every couple of weeks on demand. We just watched episodes 2 and 3 last night (after I finally ended up calling her and telling her I was going through withdrawals ).

Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM

128 posts, read 243,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What on earth would prompt a comment like that? Has somebody out there been trying to fool somebody else without my picking up on it?
Why not acknowledge my whole quote...that Mormonism is predominant in this state, but I ALSO said...AS IT SHOULD BE.

So, I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, (however, methinks I smell a skunk) because I know Mormons founded this state

Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
Why not acknowledge my whole quote...that Mormonism is predominant in this state, but I ALSO said...AS IT SHOULD BE.
To me the rest of your quote was beside the point. The point was that nobody is trying to pretend that Mormonism isn't the predominent faith here in Utah. Why would you say, "Don't let anyone fool you..." unless you actually thought someone was guilty of doing that?

Quote:
So, I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, (however, methinks I smell a skunk) because I know Mormons founded this state
And I'm sorry, but apparently I'm still misunderstanding you. What's with the "methinks I smell a skunk" comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah