U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,305 posts, read 24,854,846 times
Reputation: 11781

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Something else, a cadence, a rhythm, a way of letting the words fall gently,.... very hard to describe.

And I don't know how many are attuned to language enough to identify it but simply know "something" is different.
So you think it's an LDS thing as opposed to a Utah thing?
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
 
Location: The other side of the mountain
2,465 posts, read 6,345,944 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hey, Kaytidid. I want to specifically ask you my question, since I know I'll get a straight, honest answer from you. You say living here is "unlike living in most any other state." Since I've never lived in any other state, I am sincerely interested in what you mean by that. You've obviously adapted to the culture in a way some people simply haven't been able to do.

Is it just that there are so many Mormons that non-Mormons feel overwhelmed by them?
Are they genuinely friendly or do you always kind of sense an ulterior motive (i.e. conversion )?
How can Mormons make non-Mormons coming into the state feel welcome, not overwhelmed, not threatened, not judged, etc. etc. etc.? In other words, what are we doing right and what can be do better?
As I have lived in many states, I will just say that because LDS is such a way of life here that is how it is unlike any other state. It encompasses EVERYTHING. Like Belle stated further, it is pretty much in your face. I don't think it is something that Mormons are doing wrong or anything of that sort. Any LDS friend that I have made has always been a friend. I have never felt like there was ANY sort of ulterior motive. I believe that I have adapted to the culture because of the choice *I* made myself. When in Rome.... I also have a strong sense of myself. I never feel like I am being judged because quite honestly, I don't care if I am. If someone has a problem with me, it is THEIR problem, not mine. People who want to get to know me (LDS and otherwise!) will. I also am very reserved until I get to know someone. It might seem to others that I am judging them. It might seem that *I* am being the snobby one. I am not. I am friendly when approached, but I don't go out of my way to meet people. That just isn't my personality. LDS are busy with their church/family obligations and that is just fine to me because I am not particularly social myself

So, in my ever so humble opinion, it is really what someone makes of it. You can't change everyone else around you, you can only change yourself.

Katz, if I didn't know it myself, I really would have never guessed that you are LDS.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,862 posts, read 60,486,766 times
Reputation: 19261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So you think it's an LDS thing as opposed to a Utah thing?
Ummm.... I knew one LDS man in New Orleans and would have never guessed had he not told me. Here, I have met one couple and the man is sort of that way (former missionary). I don't think that's a big enough sample.
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,305 posts, read 24,854,846 times
Reputation: 11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Katz, if I didn't know it myself, I really would have never guessed that you are LDS.
LOL. Well, as silly as it probably sounds, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ummm.... I knew one LDS man in New Orleans and would have never guessed had he not told me. Here, I have met one couple and the man is sort of that way (former missionary). I don't think that's a big enough sample.
That is bizarre. I'm going to be analyzing everything I or anybody else says from here on out! I am seriously fascinated by language, dialects, colloquialisms, etc. From a purely intellectual standpoint, this is so intriguing.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,305 posts, read 24,854,846 times
Reputation: 11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
As I have lived in many states, I will just say that because LDS is such a way of life here that is how it is unlike any other state. It encompasses EVERYTHING. Like Belle stated further, it is pretty much in your face. I don't think it is something that Mormons are doing wrong or anything of that sort. Any LDS friend that I have made has always been a friend. I have never felt like there was ANY sort of ulterior motive. I believe that I have adapted to the culture because of the choice *I* made myself. When in Rome.... I also have a strong sense of myself. I never feel like I am being judged because quite honestly, I don't care if I am. If someone has a problem with me, it is THEIR problem, not mine. People who want to get to know me (LDS and otherwise!) will. I also am very reserved until I get to know someone. It might seem to others that I am judging them. It might seem that *I* am being the snobby one. I am not. I am friendly when approached, but I don't go out of my way to meet people. That just isn't my personality. LDS are busy with their church/family obligations and that is just fine to me because I am not particularly social myself

So, in my ever so humble opinion, it is really what someone makes of it. You can't change everyone else around you, you can only change yourself.
What a totally classy outlook!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 4,851,559 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So you think it's an LDS thing as opposed to a Utah thing?
I have lived here 12 years now, moved from Alberta and I would definitely agree it is a Utah thing. Utah Mormons really are different than other Mormons in good and bad ways.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,602 posts, read 12,121,034 times
Reputation: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Utah Mormons really are different than other Mormons in good and bad ways.
We have lived in several places (worldwide) and agree somewhat.
Mostly the California areas, Utah, and *all over* Europe.

Definitively in cultural differences.
No difference in basic beliefs at all, but how those beliefs are *executed* is really different.

*Good and/or bad* ...
A matter of opinion.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
4,489 posts, read 10,086,821 times
Reputation: 3673
I read the whole thread! Learned a lot on this rainy day!

My question--is there any reason why Mormons tend to have larger-than-average families (and often at a young age)? Is it like Catholicism where they discourage birth control? Does the support structure of the ward give people more confidence that they can support large families? Is BYU tuition free so they don't feel the need to set aside 6 figures for college funds? Something else entirely?

My sample size is very small, so maybe I am making untrue assumptions, but in all cases they had children before 25 (unheard of in my social circles) and have more than 3 kids (again, very rare).
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: The other side of the mountain
2,465 posts, read 6,345,944 times
Reputation: 1218
I *think*..and I am not LDS so I am certain to stand corrected, that the LDS religion doesn't take a particular stance on birth control like the Catholic church does.

BYU is not tuition free. You don't even NEED to be LDS to attend. It is just a religious college just as there are several Catholic colleges around the country...Notre Dame being one of them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,602 posts, read 12,121,034 times
Reputation: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Mormons tend to have larger-than-average families.
This *tendency* to use your expression, is getting out of style today, since the economy almost is the dictating factor nowadays.

A very long time ago, families were much larger as a whole, and the reason for that was that families needed the *manpower* to survive.

In the *Mormon* world, having large families was *encouraged* to provide *bodies* for all those spirits waiting to come to this earth.
Some families today, still adhere to that ideal, but it is slowing down considerably.

In the end, *Mormon* Families are still a tad bigger than the national average, which is about 1.8 .
For LDS families it is about 2.6 (today).

In my personal circle of acquaintances, families with many kids like 5 or more, have kids who are all grown up and have their own families now, and they do not have as many kids themselves, as the amount of siblings they had.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top