U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 AM

601 posts, read 1,746,237 times

Advertisements

I lived in several places in this beautiful world as well. I know what it is like to be non-LDS and what it is to be LDS both in the US and abroad.

I don't think Mormons speak totally different. Yes some are (too) churchy Nd it's annoying. Everything they talk about is related to church. But don't we have that in every religion?

Yes the church teaches not to swear and say the F word. Isn't that a good thing though? Do other Christians not do they same? Believe me it also depends on the person if he swears or not. I work with some LDS folks that swear like drunken sailors.

The language, body style, tattoos or not does not always tell you if someone is LDS or not. Some may not be active or half active or have tattoos from a previous lifestyle. Who knows? Who are we to judge?

People come to Utah and focus too much on the religion. And as a result they point out every little thing with LDS folks while they would not care with anyone else.

So yes most try to speak "cleaner" but not in a weird way that tells you one is LDS. Some do not.
There are rude and polite people on this planet, this forum and here in Utah. Both can be LDS or any other denomination.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 PM

2,944 posts, read 5,734,485 times
I'll just say one thing that is not refutable. The Mormons OUTSIDE of Utah are a completely different kind of animal. I've met LDS from the Midwest and West Coast and they are NOTHING like those you find here IMHO. One thing for sure is they don't shun you nor do they try to exclude in any way shape or form. Quite possibly because there is a stronger awareness they are not in the majority. Just my observations.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM

9,779 posts, read 9,479,120 times
Quote:
Quite possibly because there is a stronger awareness they are not in the majority.
I have always believed more than 50% is a majority.'

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM

5,585 posts, read 12,051,362 times
I do not think there is a correlation between majority or minority when one speaks of *shunning and excluding*.
First, this *phenomenon* is NOT taught in Church, and to the contrary,
the Teachings of the Church are 180 degrees from that !
Second, I think, that it is a remnant of the *old traditions*, of getting somewhere and to be left alone.
One reason why they stayed *here* and not moved on to California during their first treks.
The LDS people you meet outside of Utah are definitively a different breed,
and I do have to agree with Dcisive with this.
On the other hand, I do NOT think that *shunning and excluding* is rampant in the Salt lake area.
Maybe certain *old LDS* neighbourhoods, but other areas are all so diverse today, you seldom *see it*.
Just my observation !

Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM

2,944 posts, read 5,734,485 times
I remember when I first came out here in the late 70's it was much more stringent regarding if you were or were NOT LDS. I rented from an LDS family and they hounded me with tapes and books trying to convert me. I dated several gals, all of which were return missionaries and it didn't last long. The one that seemed like it was working out, and her family loved me, her bishop said to give me the axe, so that was the end of that. A good friend came out to visit and was smitten with the area. He impulsively moved his wife and two young kids out here first renting in Sandy. He was there 1 year and moved back to the Midwest. Said his kids were harassed in school for not being LDS and they were treated as outsiders. Yes I know that was then and this is now. Just sayin......

Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 11 days ago)

24,225 posts, read 24,682,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I remember when I first came out here in the late 70's it was much more stringent regarding if you were or were NOT LDS. I rented from an LDS family and they hounded me with tapes and books trying to convert me. I dated several gals, all of which were return missionaries and it didn't last long. The one that seemed like it was working out, and her family loved me, her bishop said to give me the axe, so that was the end of that. A good friend came out to visit and was smitten with the area. He impulsively moved his wife and two young kids out here first renting in Sandy. He was there 1 year and moved back to the Midwest. Said his kids were harassed in school for not being LDS and they were treated as outsiders. Yes I know that was then and this is now. Just sayin......
Every situation is different. I grew up LDS in Salt Lake City in the 1950s and 60s. From as far back as I can remember (i.e. from before I even started Kindergarten), I had both LDS and non-LDS friends. In elementary, junior high, and high school, I ran around with a group of friends of all religions and of no religion at all. It was simply NEVER an issue for any of us. I honestly can't remember whether I ever dated any non-LDS boys. I may not have done, because I didn't date an awful lot before meeting my husband right out of high school. I do know, though, that it wouldn't have been an issue -- either for me or for my family. It is entirely possible that non-LDS newcomers to Salt Lake City will run into a situation like the one you have described; it is just as likely that they will run into one like I've described.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 AM

17 posts, read 26,238 times
What is the deal with jello and Mormons?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM

5,585 posts, read 12,051,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemerle View Post
Such a deal ... !
The only way you mention Jello should be at the same time you mention *Funeral Potatoes* ...
I will let Katz explain. She has a more interesting of putting it into words !

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 11 days ago)

24,225 posts, read 24,682,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemerle View Post
A quick quote from Wiki:

The Mormon Corridor has been nicknamed the Jell-O belt due to the popularity of Jell-O in the region. One of the official pins for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City was a green Jell-O jiggler in the shape of the state. According to the Los Angeles Times, "Salt Lake City is America's Jell-O-eating capital. Every man, woman and child in Salt Lake City buys two boxes of the stuff annually, or twice the national average, says Mary Jane Kinkade of Jell-O brand gelatin-maker Kraft Foods. Utah residents also eat twice as much lime Jell-O as anyone else on the planet."

There is absolutely ZERO doctrinal or theological reason behind this. Mormons socialize a lot among themselves, always having church dinners, etc. and taking food into families who've recently had a birth, a death or some other event where the primary cook in the family is in a position to be unable to prepare meals. Jello is quick, easy and loved by kids (of which Mormons have a lot). We are also known to add a whole variety of ingredients to jello to make "creative" salads.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,723,450 times
Having lived inside this culture my entire life, I want to say a few words. I hope I offend no one in the process. The following is just my opinion based on observation over the years.

Mormon family gatherings tend to vary from large to huge. Sometimes, families will ask to borrow the church activity center for Thanksgiving because 75 people are coming. Per capita income in Utah is low because we have the largest numbers of children per family in the country. I found myself avoiding some of these gatherings as I got older because of what I observed. People often purchase and serve the cheapest food they can get because of the expense of serving so many people. Items like jello can be found in abundance precisely because they are inexpensive. Some brands of ice cream cost less than others do in a store. Usually the cheapest brand is the one served at such a party. Potatoes are cheap. Boxed turkey stuffing is cheap. Imagine an entire buffet of food purchased from the the budget isle of the grocery store and you'll have an idea what is served at many of these gatherings. Whatever you do, don't evaluate the food for calories or try and be a little more health conscious. The results will scare you to death.

Maybe some families are different. This describes mine to a tee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah