U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 17 days ago)

24,232 posts, read 24,708,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If he DID want to enter, he was stopped and given an explanation of why, so please do not excuse ignorance ...

Those of us who give their time at Temple Square are instructed to do so.
Actually, it was this comment that struck me as requiring a reply of some sort...

Quote:
...they would not let me see inside the temple, as there was something about me they didn't like I suppose. Not much of a welcome.
First of all, the idea that the poster was somehow singled out is preposterous. Secondly, a person would have to have a real chip on his shoulder to feel unwelcome on Temple Square.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-24-2013, 04:52 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,256,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, it was this comment that struck me as requiring a reply of some sort...

First of all, the idea that the poster was somehow singled out is preposterous. Secondly, a person would have to have a real chip on his shoulder to feel unwelcome on Temple Square.
Very true! It is almost bothersome how friendly the missionaries are.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 PM

30 posts, read 27,646 times
Quote:

You speak of cathedrals ? Most of them are owned by the Catholic Church ...
Have you ever tried to get into their really *sacred* places, like the Vatican ?
FYI, you don't have to be Catholic to go into the Vatican. You don't even have to be a good Catholic. No one checks for a cathedral recommend.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 6,319,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaG View Post
FYI, you don't have to be Catholic to go into the Vatican. You don't even have to be a good Catholic. No one checks for a cathedral recommend.
....good thing too. A good Catholic is an oxymoron in my house

Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 17 days ago)

24,232 posts, read 24,708,027 times
Quote:
Just curious... are you saying that in the entire Vatican City there is nowhere that is off-limits to the general public? When I toured the Cathedral of the Madeleine a few years back, there were a few places up front where we were not allowed to go -- places that we off-limits to everyone but the individual conducting mass.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 PM

620 posts, read 497,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Something else, a cadence, a rhythm, a way of letting the words fall gently,.... very hard to describe.

And I don't know how many are attuned to language enough to identify it but simply know "something" is different.
I noticed that je ne sais quoi last year. Here in San Diego. The U of U women's soccer team had SDSU on their away schedule, so I saw that match, as I follow SDSU w. soccer. An extremely nice, and sincere bunch of fans from U of U, but not in an overbearing way at all. It was unusual, and I have no clue what to make of it, but I really liked them.

And no one tried to give me a BoM.

Utah will be a very interesting, and pleasant trip in Oct.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 AM

5,587 posts, read 12,061,204 times
Quote:
Have you been *in* the Vatican ?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 AM

404 posts, read 1,077,050 times
Quote:
If he DID want to enter, he was stopped and given an explanation of why, so please do not excuse ignorance ...

Those of us who give their time at Temple Square are instructed to do so.
Again, when my colleague and I were there for a conference about 6 years ago, one Catholic and one Methodist, neither of us knew anything about the religion and visited Temple Sq. We were somewhat confused when we found we could not enter the temple as neither of us could relate it to either religion. We did get to tour the tabernacle and honestly, we enjoyed our tour of the conference center even more. We had a great meal in the buffet on top of the Joseph Smith building which was recommended by the front desk clerk at the hotel once they learned that we did not need to have an alcoholic beverage with our meal.
I still am confused as to why you are all so upset with someone who, like me, was quite frankly very perplexed about why we could not enter the temple. Not looking to start any fights, just explaining our experience as non-members.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 AM

9,781 posts, read 9,492,628 times
The Temple is a sacred place in Mormonism. Only people that have been interviewed by their Bishop, and Stake Presidency and deemed worthy may enter. Not all Mormons can enter the Temple.

No one that is not a worthy member of the religion with the recommends, may enter the temple. It is not just you and your party being unable to enter.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 AM

404 posts, read 1,077,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The Temple is a sacred place in Mormonism. Only people that have been interviewed by their Bishop, and Stake Presidency and deemed worthy may enter. Not all Mormons can enter the Temple.

No one that is not a worthy member of the religion with the recommends, may enter the temple. It is not just you and your party being unable to enter.
I know that now having spent part of the last three years in UT. A the time, neither of us knew it and quite honestly, most of the country East of the Mississippi still don't. That is all that I am saying. And, honestly, Catholic Churches are sacred places. Every one of our sacraments, with the exception of the annointing of the sick which takes place wherever the sick person happens to be, takes place in our churches, which are consecrated, and there are no exclusions. So, again, all I am trying to do is state facts why people may be confused if they happen to be in Salt Lake and visit Temple Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah