U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 AM

24,126 posts, read 24,576,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I noticed that je ne sais quoi last year. Here in San Diego. The U of U women's soccer team had SDSU on their away schedule, so I saw that match, as I follow SDSU w. soccer. An extremely nice, and sincere bunch of fans from U of U, but not in an overbearing way at all. It was unusual, and I have no clue what to make of it, but I really liked them.

And no one tried to give me a BoM.

Utah will be a very interesting, and pleasant trip in Oct.
The U of U is a state university. It's entirely possible that most of the players on their team were not even LDS. The "U"'s biggest rival is the Church-owned Brigham Young University (the "Y"). Even if SDSU had been playing the "Y", though, I can pretty much guarantee that no one would have tried to give you a BoM.

Enjoy your trip in October. It's one of the best months to visit Utah, especially Southern Utah. Northern Utah could be iffy. It can get pretty chilly here in late October especially.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Have you been *in* the Vatican ?
The Vatican isn't just one building, irman.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 27,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Have you been *in* the Vatican ?
I've been to the Vatican twice (the Vatican is a city) and inside St. Peter's Cathedral both times with a zillion tourists about me in long lines to enter. When Pope John Paul II was alive, I attended a private mass in a smaller chapel with my group, a class from my university where not everyone was Catholic. It was private in that it needed to be scheduled ahead of time and also due to space limitations; no one was checked to go in if they were Catholic or not. It's free to go into St. Peter's Basilica although you have to pay to get into the Vatican museum. I've had Mormon friends do the same when they went to Rome and loved the beauty of it and have expressed how welcoming it was. It is a popular pilgrimage site for Catholics and nonCatholics alike.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM

30 posts, read 27,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just curious... are you saying that in the entire Vatican City there is nowhere that is off-limits to the general public? When I toured the Cathedral of the Madeleine a few years back, there were a few places up front where we were not allowed to go -- places that we off-limits to everyone but the individual conducting mass.
I don't know what you mean. There are plenty of public places that have areas that are off-limits to the general public including your local grocery store and restaurants. I haven't been into the pope's living quarters, and I'm sure they're off limits but then I doubt most people unless they are close to the pope have.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM

11,107 posts, read 10,665,544 times
Quote:
I know that now having spent part of the last three years in UT. A the time, neither of us knew it and quite honestly, most of the country East of the Mississippi still don't. That is all that I am saying. And, honestly, Catholic Churches are sacred places. Every one of our sacraments, with the exception of the annointing of the sick which takes place wherever the sick person happens to be, takes place in our churches, which are consecrated, and there are no exclusions. So, again, all I am trying to do is state facts why people may be confused if they happen to be in Salt Lake and visit Temple Square.
Why one can't go inside the temple is a valid question and it doesn't offend me that people ask it. I have a friend back east who wants to visit Salt Lake City and she became quite concerned when in response to a question, I told her she couldn't go inside the Salt Lake Temple. All churches are different. I understand that the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or "Community of Christ" does allow the public to go inside its temple in Independence, Missouri.

I do tell people that sometimes temples are renovated. Often, the church will allow everyone to go inside before the temple is "rededicated" and resumes operations. The Ogden Temple is currently being rebuilt and anyone who wants to see the inside of one, will more than likely have that opportunity in a matter of months.

The Church's position (as stated above by Old Trader) is that the temple is "sacred, not secret" and when it is functioning as a temple only people who meet certain criteria will be allowed inside. There are plenty of photographs or pictures available for those who would like to see what the inside of different temples is like.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM

404 posts, read 1,074,391 times
Mark G thank you for your very thorough response. It is one that does not contain attitude and if someone at Temple Square responded like that to the OP then I think he may not have been so upset.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaG View Post
I don't know what you mean. There are plenty of public places that have areas that are off-limits to the general public including your local grocery store and restaurants. I haven't been into the pope's living quarters, and I'm sure they're off limits but then I doubt most people unless they are close to the pope have.
There was a group of us. We were allowed to approach the front of the building, but were not permitted to wander about the area where mass was conducted. (I'm sorry, but I don't know what this area is called. There was something that I would probably describe as having the appearance of a fence, and we were not allowed to go anywhere behind it. This experience was actually years ago, and it may have been that we weren't even permitted to go up to where the alter was. I can't remember for sure.)

Here's a picture of it:

It didn't bother any of us at all. We simply accepted that that's how it was. By the way, here are some absolutely stunning pictures of that cathedral -- the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City. It is gorgeous, and I would suggest that anyone either living in or visiting Salt Lake City take the opportunity to see it. (They actually do offer tours, but I'm not sure when.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-25-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
Mark G thank you for your very thorough response. It is one that does not contain attitude and if someone at Temple Square responded like that to the OP then I think he may not have been so upset.
If you're suggesting that it was my post that "contained attitude," it probably did. However, I was responding to the "attitude" expressed by ktorch in this post. Had ktorch asked someone on Temple Square why he was not able to go inside the Temple, he would almost certainly have received a response much like Mark G's. Based on his post, though, I rather suspect he didn't even ask, but assumed instead that it was "something about [him] they didn't like." He probably marched right off Temple Square thinking, "Not much of a welcome" without even taking the time to try to understand the reason he was not permitted to enter the Temple. Anyone on Temple Square who asks a sincere question and does so respectfully will be given a respectful, courteous answer.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-25-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM

5,579 posts, read 12,010,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The Vatican isn't just one building, irman.
Temple Square is not just one building ...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
Let me just add this to what Mark already said...

Like our regular churches (our regular meetinghouses), our temples are places where we go to learn and to worship. Unlike our regular churches, they are places where only those who have demonstrated their willingness to live their lives according to a particular standard of worthiness are allowed. In other words, you might think of a temple as sort of an “institute of higher learning” with respect to spiritual knowledge. It is in our temples that we make covenants with God, a covenant, of course, being a two-way promise or mutual agreement. Consequently, we believe that when we live up to the promises we make in the temple, God will in turn grant us certain blessings. We refer to this covenant-making ordinance as the Endowment. We believe that both the covenants and the blessings associated with them to be eternal in nature. Many of them serve to unite families not only for this life but for the next as well.

Most people imagine that a temple looks much like a cathedral inside. After all, from the outside, there is a certain resemblance. In our temples, however, there is no one large room like the nave of a cathedral. Rather there are many rooms (170, I believe, in the Salt Lake Temple -- the Salt Lake Temple being only one of about 140 temples worldwide), all designed for a specific function. There are, for instance, fourteen rooms in the Salt Lake Temple that are used exclusively for marriages. We call them “sealing rooms” because we believe that marriages performed in our temples “seal” a couple and their posterity together forever. A Latter-day Saint temple wedding is beautiful. The couple kneels together and holds hands across a velvet and lace covered alter. When the individual officiating pronounces them husband and wife, he states that their marriage will endure “for time and all eternity” as opposed to “until death do you part” or "as long as you both shall live." On either side of the room there are large mirrors, directly across from one another. What do you see when you look in a mirror which reflects another mirror? You see an image which appears to go on forever. This is, of course, symbolic of the covenant we make in the temple when we marry there.

Another important and unique function of our temples is to enable us to do vicarious work for those of our ancestors who have gone before us. This work would include baptism, the endowment and eternal marriage. We are prohibited from discussing the details of these ordinances with those who have not participated in them themselves. As a matter of fact, they are so sacred to us that we don't even talk about them among ourselves outside of the temple.

It would be literally impossible for a visitor to go inside of the Salt Lake Temple at any time it's open and not interrupt one of these ceremonies by his presence. These ceremonies are going on continually -- from very early in the morning until late evening. A person might wonder why he couldn't just go watch, but he probably wouldn't even consider asking to attend a total stranger's wedding without being invited, just because he was curious and thought it would be fun to watch.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-25-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah