U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,656,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not moving to Utah, but SLC is a place that we would like to visit at some time. I do have some LDS friends who live in the SLC area who are involved with adoption. We met in NY and in Chicago. However, I have never been to Utah.

1. May non Mormons visit the temple? I have heard of something called a Temple Recomend. I am guessing that this is only for LDS people. Are tourists permitted inside?

2. I know that alcohol and caffeine drinks are prohibited. Does this extend to cocoa or hot chocolate? Are there any other foods or drinks that LDS members eschew?

3. I really like Marie Osmond. We are the same age and as a teen I enjoyed "The Donny and Marie" show. I also know that she is divorced. Is divorce OK in some instances in the LDS church? For example - adultery. Or are there other reasons why Marie is still an LDS member? I am glad that she is.

4. Do LDS people think that other Christians are following false religions? Or does this vary from Mormon to Mormon?

Thanking you before hand.
Katzpur gave you some great answers. I'll just tag onto her post with some insights of my own.

1. Visiting a temple is only possible for a non-Mormon if the temple is being renovated or hasn't been dedicated. In these cases, visiting hours are established and everyone can get a ticket and go visit. I'm not aware of any temples in Utah that are closed for renovation right now.

2. Not only is hot chocolate not forbidden, but most members would say its that o.k. to drink herbal tea (no caffeine).

3. I'm an amateur historian of sorts and the LDS Church's reaction to divorce reflects its history and circumstances. When the church was established in the 1830's many people left their families to join. This was true of some husbands and wives. A divorce was very difficult to obtain out on the frontier and there were many people forming new unions who had not legally ended their prior union through divorce. Religious leaders granted divorces to converts in some cases, so that they could remarry. The church certainly doesn't encourage divorce and, in fact, to be remarried in the temple one must obtain a "temple divorce" from church authorities. However, I think because of the frontier experience in early Utah and such the church has always had a more flexible attitude towards divorce than other churches have.

There's a story that in early Utah, Brigham Young became so upset about the number of church members seeking divorces that he once threatened Mormons that if they didn't stop divorcing, he would stop sealing (marrying) new members.

There are many divorced members in the church. The divorce rate for the entire state of Utah is over 11 per 100,000 people per year. This places the divorce rate in Utah as pretty high compared to some states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorc..._United_States

What isn't clear to me is what percentage of these people are LDS and what percentage are non-Mormons.

4. I can't improve much on Katzpur's answer here. I will say that I think some of the friction between the LDS Church and other churches stems from the belief that we are the only true church. I'm sure that seems pretty presumptuous to other churches. Protestant churches don't have a similar dichotomy with other Protestant denominations. They see belief in Christ as their Saviour as being all important and view denominations more as a matter of personal preference.

Sadly, there has been much vitriol hurled by both Mormons and Protestants at each other over the years. I'm getting to where I almost find the rhetoric "Mormons aren't Christians" (generally coming from evangelical Christians) to be sort of amusing.

Sheena, I hope if you visit Utah, you'll let me know. I would love to be counted among your "adoption friends" here.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,079,203 times
Here, allow me to give you the other-perspective answers.

Quote:
1. May non Mormons visit the temple? I have heard of something called a Temple Recomend. I am guessing that this is only for LDS people. Are tourists permitted inside?
No, you have to get the membership card, called a Temple Recommend. To get it you must pay 10% of your income (gross, net, increase, you decide...). It's not audited or anything, but you have a once a year meeting with a local leader where you're asked if you paid enough. Kind of an on-your-honor thing. You also have to forgo coffee, alcohol and premarital sex. Finally you must declare your unwavering support for the leader in order to be allowed to enter. And before this you have to go through some other ceremonies such as baptism and receiving "the priesthood" if you're a man.

Quote:
2. I know that alcohol and caffeine drinks are prohibited. Does this extend to cocoa or hot chocolate? Are there any other foods or drinks that LDS members eschew?
The Mormon rules on what you may and may not consume are completely arbitrary. For example, coffee and tea, which are generally understood to be healthy - if consumed without additives, are very discouraged in Mormonism. Energy drinks, hot chocolate and sugary soda are rather unhealthy, but many Mormons drink them with no repercussions. The reasoning Mormons are given is "obedience to the lord" The idea is that if you follow God's rules, even when they don't make sense, you will be rewarded. You'll find that while most Mormons shun alcohol, some have quite the sugar addiction. Supposedly Mormons are supposed to not eat meat, unless it is in a time of famine, and beer is okay, but like.. they kind of don't follow those parts. Most will say that's because current leaders have given new rules that supersede the rules in the original document. Like I said, arbitrary.

Quote:
3. I really like Marie Osmond. We are the same age and as a teen I enjoyed "The Donny and Marie" show. I also know that she is divorced. Is divorce OK in some instances in the LDS church? For example - adultery. Or are there other reasons why Marie is still an LDS member? I am glad that she is.
Divorce is okay, yes. I wouldn't say divorce rates among Mormons are any higher than regular Christians, but sometimes divorce is actually encouraged by local leaders if one partner stops being Mormon. In general Mormons are very family-centric and try to avoid divorce, but in the end it just comes down to the individuals.

Moderator cut: too doctrinal really for a cultural thread

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-03-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,224 times
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I had no idea that Joseph Smith had been a mason, that's interesting and I'll have to read up on that more. More and more I'm looking forward to living in and exploring the Logan area. I'll have to make a point to come to SLC too as I've only ever been to the airport.

Geo-Aggie, we need to be friends! I saw in your profile, as your handle here alluded, that you're a geologist. I am too! In fact, I'm not a student any longer, but rather I'm the guy your geology department just hired as a new lab manager and instrementation tech. So I'm moving to Logan to take that Job with the USU geology department! If you're still around I'll probably meet you in August when I start.

Thanks again for all the informative answers. I may post more questions as they arise.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:42 PM

143 posts, read 298,432 times
As an "investigator" I have appreciated this thread. A question--I notice many Mormons when they pray, fold their arms across their chests. I asked the Missionaries what the deal was. They said they thought it came from Primary when the kids were told to cross their arms to keep them from "fidgeting." Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM

24,102 posts, read 24,558,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomike View Post
As an "investigator" I have appreciated this thread. A question--I notice many Mormons when they pray, fold their arms across their chests. I asked the Missionaries what the deal was. They said they thought it came from Primary when the kids were told to cross their arms to keep them from "fidgeting." Any other thoughts? Thanks.
LOL. Yeah, I think the missionaries are right about that. There is really no other reason for that particular posture, but it does seem to carry into adulthood (with some people more than others). Since I know I can pray without "fidgeting," I broke myself of the habit some years ago.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 975 times
Interesting information here I have enjoyed reading. I moved to Utah a few months ago and married my best friend. He's LDS, I'm Methodist and I have yet to meet people who I feel ostracize me because of my religion. I would give non LDS folks moving here from other areas to realize we are all different and respect given is most often respect earned. Mormons don't have horns nor are they much different than anyone from other religions, we all believe in God and no matter what other directions our religious paths may take.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM

5,578 posts, read 12,003,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomike View Post
Prayer is an integral part of Mormon Life.
Prayer in order to give thanks for the food you partake of, is part of that ritual.

So when in restaurants, die-hard Mormons get what I call a *Mormon Headache* ...

All because it is part of the Mormon Life !!

I have seen Latter Day Saints hold each others hands in a circle ...
Fold their arms across their chest, etc.
Only one thing the same always, their eyes are closed !

Old 08-18-2016, 10:47 PM

24,102 posts, read 24,558,928 times
Discussion continued on "The Lowdown on us Mormons (Part 2)." Perhaps it would be a good idea to close this thread. What do you think, SouthernBelle?

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-18-2016 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah