Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times

Advertisements

I am from California and lived in Provo for a bit, working at the dollar theater (yup, that dollar theater). Sundays were the best because it was typically non-LDS folks coming in. That meant a lot of hispanic folks. Coming from a high school with a 78% hispanic population (mostly Mexican), I can much better relate to Mexicans than I can Mormons. I found that the people I worked with that were born and raised in the Happy Valley tended to have a bigger problem helping the people with broken english than those who transplanted from outside the area. I speak pretty passable spanish, and I got along great between my broken Spanish and their broken English. They were happy, I was happy, and a bunch of my "Happy Valley-ite" co-workers were extremely out of place, probably for the first time in their lives.

As a caveat, I am now living in California, but am enlisting in the Utah National Guard and will be attending U of U after Basic and Job training. So I'll be back around this time next year. Hopefully I'll be a little more accepted this time around being that I'm there to help protect the mighty fine folks of Utah.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
Coming from a high school with a 78% hispanic population (mostly Mexican), I can much better relate to Mexicans than I can Mormons.
Hmmm. I wonder how you would relate to my husband. He's Mexican and Mormon.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
I am from California and lived in Provo for a bit, working at the dollar theater (yup, that dollar theater). Sundays were the best because it was typically non-LDS folks coming in. That meant a lot of hispanic folks. Coming from a high school with a 78% hispanic population (mostly Mexican), I can much better relate to Mexicans than I can Mormons. I found that the people I worked with that were born and raised in the Happy Valley tended to have a bigger problem helping the people with broken english than those who transplanted from outside the area. I speak pretty passable spanish, and I got along great between my broken Spanish and their broken English. They were happy, I was happy, and a bunch of my "Happy Valley-ite" co-workers were extremely out of place, probably for the first time in their lives.

As a caveat, I am now living in California, but am enlisting in the Utah National Guard and will be attending U of U after Basic and Job training. So I'll be back around this time next year. Hopefully I'll be a little more accepted this time around being that I'm there to help protect the mighty fine folks of Utah.
i know what you mean about the spanish-english deal. my spanish has helped me soooooooo much in dealing with locals here. i used to work retail in a department store, and i would get called to every department to take care of customers that weren't fluent in english. during the 2002 olympics, i was working more as an interpreter than as a sales associate some days.

as far as the happy valley elites that you speak of, i wouldn't worry too much. their eyes will be forcefully opened one day, and then they will have to realize that provo is not at the center of the universe.

i will stress, however, that those are the extremes, and that even in utah valley, you can find some pretty normal, decent people. i'm not one of them though; i'm one of the spastic types. just ask my wife.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
Quote:

You'll have a better time in Salt Lake City than you will in Provo, believe me.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Come on everyone. We all know that the Mormons look down upon everyone that is not Mormon. Why do you think they are trying to recruit people like crazy. The boys have to go out on there 2 yr. "mission" with the express purpose to try to sway people to join up and become Mormons.

Several years ago I had to live in Salt Lake due to hubbys job transfer. I tried to find a job in retail and then later in the hotel business (desk clerk). On the job application it asked what your religion was. I thought that was against the law. However, I put down my religion and it was not LDS and never heard from anyone. And I had lots of experience and great references. I finally asked one the Human Resouce persons at the last job I applied for why they ask what religion and that no other state does that. She told me that "basically Utah is a church state". What the heck!

I don't know if they are still getting away with that or not, I hope not, but I couldn't believe what I heard. And she was not afraid or ashamed to tell me that.

So my advice is don't move to Utah unless you are Mormon or plan on becoming one.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
I have NEVER seen a job application where it questions your religious affiliation!

Hmm...I have never felt looked down upon because I am not LDS. Not once, not ever.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Kitty, I have lived in UT for 8 years and do not feel I've ever been looked down on for not being LDs...quite the opposite, I and my famiy have been thouroughly welcomed and included.

In contrast, when I moved to SC I was most definately looked down on and treated poorly for being a "yankee"...and most transplants there like it. We all have different experiences.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,034 times
Kittydog, I think that's illegal to ask that in a job application. And if not, it's at least setting a company up for a discrimination lawsuit. I've worked as a desk clerk in Utah and never had a problem. I've also never had the question of religion asked on any job application in Utah. And being a recent graduate, I've filled out a good number of them.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,034 times
About the racism issue, I think many Utahns are just not used to as much diversity, so it's more of a naivety than actual racism.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Come on everyone. We all know that the Mormons look down upon everyone that is not Mormon. Why do you think they are trying to recruit people like crazy. The boys have to go out on there 2 yr. "mission" with the express purpose to try to sway people to join up and become Mormons.

Several years ago I had to live in Salt Lake due to hubbys job transfer. I tried to find a job in retail and then later in the hotel business (desk clerk). On the job application it asked what your religion was. I thought that was against the law. However, I put down my religion and it was not LDS and never heard from anyone. And I had lots of experience and great references. I finally asked one the Human Resouce persons at the last job I applied for why they ask what religion and that no other state does that. She told me that "basically Utah is a church state". What the heck!

I don't know if they are still getting away with that or not, I hope not, but I couldn't believe what I heard. And she was not afraid or ashamed to tell me that.

So my advice is don't move to Utah unless you are Mormon or plan on becoming one.
.................................................. ..............................................

Kitty, you're entitled to your opinion just like anyone. This is extremely jaded though. The Mormons aren't the only religion in this world trying to win converts. It goes on among Protestant denominations and groups like Jehovah's Witnesses.

I have trouble believing you were asked your religion on an employment application. If you were, that was the dumbest employer in the USA. He/she is basically asking for a Title VII lawsuit based on religious discrimination.

Lots of non-LDS people live here and have a variety of experiences. Some are positive and some are negative. The experience of LDS people here, I can assure you, is not 100% positive because we do not speak with one voice.

The bottomline is that 70% of Utahns describe themselves as LDS when the census is taken every ten years. Utah is not a perfect place to live by any means. It is a good place for people who love outdoor recreation, low crime rates, and neighborhoods that are kept in relatively good condition. It is a state blessed with more than its share of natural beauty. The recession has hit our state less hard than many other places, so perhaps there is a little more opportunity here right now. All I ask is that you and other critics do is compare Utah to other states and not to some unrealistic ideal that doesn't exist anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah