Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,464 times

Advertisements

I'm hispanic, and I'm thinking about heading up to Utah to get away from city life and to relax. Small towns in Utah generally have a 99% white population from what I've read, and I've been to small "white" towns before (Kentucky) and have been met with a lot of rude stares and ignorance. (I don't even look hispanic, but I don't look white.) Is Utah a friendly place to live? Pardon me for being so frank, but are there a lot of skinheads and KKK members there? I'd appreciate your honest response.

- me

Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM

35 posts, read 161,471 times
Salt Lake City is home to the largest hispanic population in the state... approximately 20%. As for small towns, I cant say... I guess theyd be like most small towns. Friendly to outsiders.... as long as you stay an outsider... meaning they dont want you moving in... but like I said... I cant really say much about Utah's small towns...

Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 AM

378 posts, read 1,905,405 times
I'm not white and I grew up in one of the whitest towns in Utah. I'm not hispanic so I would assume we fit different stereotypes, but I was always treated very well by those around me. The ladies loved the tanned skin in high school!

Hispanics have basically inhabited the entire West side of salt lake city. Hispanics are definetly the majority of the minorities here in Utah. Utah is nothing like Kentucky. I just came from KY over the 4th of July weekend and there were times I was literally looking over my shoulder. Welcome to Marshall County KY!

Old 07-12-2006, 09:53 PM

212 posts, read 791,253 times
Default small town UT

I grew up in a small town in Utah county (population @500 people and 95% LDS). Everyone was white with the exception of some appartments that were for migrant workers. There were probably 20 hispanic families that lived out there. Although it was an active mormon community, the people hated the appartments and the residents. They were treated very bad, if not just plain ignored. The appartments were finally burned down. This happened 15 or more years ago, but my point is that if you move to a small town with well established older residents they tend to be very harsh and judgemental on outsiders. On another note, not all small towns are the same. This was just my experience. In the newer communities, I don't think this happens as much. In Utah the bigger cities still feel like small town. Utah has come a long way in 15 years, I hope you (and others) have a better experience.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori
I grew up in a small town in Utah county (population @500 people and 95% LDS). Everyone was white with the exception of some appartments that were for migrant workers. There were probably 20 hispanic families that lived out there. Although it was an active mormon community, the people hated the appartments and the residents. They were treated very bad, if not just plain ignored. The appartments were finally burned down. This happened 15 or more years ago, but my point is that if you move to a small town with well established older residents they tend to be very harsh and judgemental on outsiders. On another note, not all small towns are the same. This was just my experience. In the newer communities, I don't think this happens as much. In Utah the bigger cities still feel like small town. Utah has come a long way in 15 years, I hope you (and others) have a better experience.
Wow! ...okay, some good info, Lori. Like I said, I haven't been in all small towns in Utah. I guess not all older Mormons are as friendly and congenial as the ones I've run into. Yes, I've heard that there are many that are judgmental. Good post! Thanks.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 11:04 PM

Default racism thoughts

rocco- I'm glad you have had good experiences, as opposed to the one I described. Not everyone in Utah will treat hispanic people in that horrible way, in fact I think my story is the exception, not the rule.
I think if people are friendly to you, that it is most likely a genuine reaction. Racism, unfortunately will be found in evey community, to some extent. But as years go by, we are able to teach the next generation more tolerence and acceptance. I am doing my part with my children and I hope there are more families out there doing the same.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:09 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Lori. Again, some good comments. You sound like a genuinely good, kind, and compassionate person!

--'rocco

Old 07-13-2006, 11:11 PM

Thanks,
I gotta do a few good things now and then to make up for the few naughty ones

Old 07-14-2006, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 42,956 times
Default Lots of Hispanics in PG

We've been in Pleasant Grove for 3 months and there are quite a few Hispanics here... I don't know if they are looked down on by people, since I pretty much stay to myself, and still feel like an outsider coming up from So Cal, but I do see a LOT at Wal-Mart etc.

Not that I'm an expert... I spend more time at my computer than in public...

Kathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah