Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 AM

137 posts, read 702,943 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Utah and was just wondering how bad (or not) the winters really are. I'm looking at the Ogden area. I'm from southern Cal so I've never really dealt with real winters. Any feedback would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Heh...it depends on the year. Some winters have been fairly mild...it will snow, it will melt and then it will snow again. Some winters it seems like it never stops snowing and doesn't melt until Spring. The snow is usually a dry fluffy snow. I believe Ogden gets a bit more snow than the Salt Lake Valley. I wouldn't say winters are bad here, but I have lived in AK and NJ with the nor'easters and ice storms, so to me, these winters aren't too bad at all.

Edited to add: As an aside, whether they are bad or not doesn't discount the fact that I absolutely HATE winter!!

Last edited by kaytidid; 08-02-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM

183 posts, read 801,737 times
Utah winters can be brutal for someone who has never lived in an area with snow. Not only does it get cold, but the snow makes it difficult to drive.

That said, the cities are really good about getting out and plowing everything before everyone gets going in the morning.

I lived here as a child many years ago and moved back a couple of years ago for a job. I do have to say that winters were much more harsh when I was young. I grew up on the east bench of Salt Lake and there was snow in my yard from the end of October until May...and there were SEVERAL FEET of snow from the end of November until March. Nowadays, the winter seems less harsh and doesn't seem to last as long. I don't see the same several feet of snow in my yard that I did as a youngster.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Edited to add: As an aside, whether they are bad or not doesn't discount the fact that I absolutely HATE winter!!
Not as bad as I do!

For me, any kind of winter weather is just plain bad news. I start dreading the coming winter in about May. In talking to people who have lived in a lot of places other than Salt Lake, though, I've learned that our winters are relatively mild. That's hard for me to understand, but I'll take their word for it.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Perspective is what is important. By California standards, winters here can be harsh and cold. However, I know people who either live in or have lived in either Wisconsin or Minnesota. Winters there are far worse. They are much colder, much icier, and last much longer.

We've had some winters where it snowed comparatively little. Other winters, I had my snowblower out two or three times a week. By March, most of the snow that does fall is wet snow and usually melts quickly.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Keep in mind that IF it snows,
AND you have a *parkway*,
you MUST clean up that walkway there,
before a certain time.

Some people, may not be aware of that *rule*,
but it is a requirement.

The thing to do is to clean it up as quick as possible,
since *wet snow* is hard to shovel ....

Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Keep in mind that IF it snows,
AND you have a *parkway*,
you MUST clean up that walkway there,
before a certain time.

Some people, may not be aware of that *rule*,
but it is a requirement.

The thing to do is to clean it up as quick as possible,
since *wet snow* is hard to shovel ....
And they don't care if you have a job that takes you out of town for 4 days a week, every week. Stupid lawmakers and their stupid laws ftw!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And they don't care if you have a job that takes you out of town for 4 days a week, every week. Stupid lawmakers and their stupid laws ftw!
Uhmm ..... yeah but, as always, ... Oh well ....

I found out the hard way.
Came home and found a note on my front door.
In essence it said *clean up or else* .....

Really did not realise *There IS a snow police* .....

This was when I did have a *parkway and sidewalks*.
Today I have NO sidewalk, and the street is barely one and a half car wide ....
One *problem*, and I think those plowers do it on purpose.
The homes are on one side of the street and the other side is a canal ..
Now, why can the plowers NOT plow the snow into the canal ???
Why does the snow have to be plowed towards the driveways ????

As I stated above ... Oh well ....

Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM

137 posts, read 702,943 times
Wow! A snow police! I didn't see that one coming. So what kind of penalties do they hand out if you don't clear out the snow in a timely manner?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
what kind of penalties do they hand out if you don't clear out the snow in a timely manner?
Dunno, I just cleaned off the walkways, as good as I could,
and left it at that.

The notice only mentioned that according to blah blah blah,
I had to immediately clean up the walkways.
Was a long time ago, so do not remember anymore.

BTW, I see you are from Ventura County ...
Uhmm, I am from Camarillo !! Left in 1991.
I miss the climate, but not the country side.
Came back for a visit, a year ago ....
too many things going on there now ...
Do not particularly care for giant shopping malls myself !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: