Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM

32 posts, read 147,810 times

Advertisements

I loved living in The Ranches. I would not have wanted to live in the Eagle Mountain City Center area (over the mountain from the Ranches).

It is true that Eagle Mountain is far from most stuff in Utah County. In 2006, it would take me at least 20 minutes to drive from the Ranches to I-15, on a good day. I can only imagine it taking longer now with the higher population. It would also take 20 minutes (and so dangerous driving) to get to Bangerter Highway via Redwood Road.

Most stuff worth doing in Utah County is from American Fork to Provo. So, you would be traveling long times to get there. However, the living in the Ranches may be worth it. It is quiet out there. The neighborhoods are safe. And, the mountains are great areas to get away into in a very short time, to either hike, run, mountain bike, ATV, camp, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Lawyer View Post

I am not sure if the poster "ShouldIMoveorStayPut" has ever lived in Utah or know about the area, but re-roofing a house or re-siding one is not a concern to homeowners in Utah. You may need to re-roof a Utah home once every 30 years and possibly never re-side a home with vinyl siding or stucco. If you want to worry about roofing, then move to Tulsa, Oklahoma. Average roof here last 10 years (damage from rain, ice, hail and wind). However, most homes have brick exteriors, so siding is not an issue, but structural problems with the brick may be an issue.
The roof and siding are only two components (albeit major ones) that a home will eventually need to have replaced. You would be amazed of how often things on a 30 year time schedule come due when you multiply by the number of things. The bigger the home the bigger the things and more of them there are.

From what I see many new homes are built with "OSB" siding (oriented strand board) which comprises of shredded wood chips glued together to form sheet goods. The joists can be "Engineered" lumber as well, roof rafter systems "Truss" style held together with metal press plates. Siding insulated foam board covered with stucco.

The stucco can make these homes look much more substantial than they actually are, following the old adage that Appearance Is Everything. They do catch a break in Utah with a higher and dryer climate, however. Still, a brick bungalow in Sugarhouse or and East Bench home built back in the 70's with more components being solid lumber, although both being substantially older homes, when you factor in location, taxes, etc. may win the race in the long run.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
substantially older homes, when you factor in location, taxes, etc. may win the race in the long run.
uhuh .. you can say that again !

We bought a home that was over 50 years old in Taylorsville (the *uppity area*...), and it was so dang old, it even had that ugly pink kitchen stuff !!!

But ....

The walls, inside, are 6 inches thick, and do NOT have gypsum board !!!
The walls, outside, are 10 inches thick, are solid stucco on the inside and full brick on the outside.
The houses *next door*, are 30 feet away at least (!!!!),
not so dang close that you can see what your neighbours are cooking in their kitchen ...
We upgraded the insulation in the attic and found absolutely NO metal plates holding the rafters together anywhere .... I assume .. true stick building ??

When we bought this place over 10 years ago, it had the original roof !!!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
uhuh .. you can say that again !

We bought a home that was over 50 years old in Taylorsville (the *uppity area*...), and it was so dang old, it even had that ugly pink kitchen stuff !!!

But ....

The walls, inside, are 6 inches thick, and do NOT have gypsum board !!!
The walls, outside, are 10 inches thick, are solid stucco on the inside and full brick on the outside.
We upgraded the insulation in the attic and found absolutely NO metal plates holding the rafters together anywhere .... I assume .. true stick building ??

When we bought this place over 10 years ago, it had the original roof !!!
I gues you mean shoddy construction? I had earthquake or hurricane plates added to my attic (1921 house) as a safety factor. Don't want someone to take a quick look, see metal in their attic, and theink it's poorly built.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I gues you mean shoddy construction? I had earthquake or hurricane plates added to my attic (1921 house) as a safety factor. Don't want someone to take a quick look, see metal in their attic, and theink it's poorly built.
Just to clarify the thin metal press plates that hold Truss systems together is not the same thing as Earthquake/Hurricane bracing. If you can easily walk around your attic you probably do not have a truss style framing system as it entails more cross members in a "W" pattern taking alot more room and making attic navigation/storage difficult.

I do not know how Irman's attic is framed, but it sounds like the home is built for battle regardless of no earthquake bracing....

Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Just to clarify the thin metal press plates that hold Truss systems together is not the same thing as Earthquake/Hurricane bracing. If you can easily walk around your attic you probably do not have a truss style framing system as it entails more cross members in a "W" pattern taking alot more room and making attic navigation/storage difficult.

I do not know how Irman's attic is framed, but it sounds like the home is built for battle regardless of no earthquake bracing....
I should have called them hurricane clips. They are added to many attics in the Gulf coast region to help keep your framing together in a hurricane. You may loose the shingles but the framing is still there.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
making attic navigation/storage difficult. I do not know how Irman's attic is framed, but it sounds like the home is built for battle regardless of no earthquake bracing....
I have been into my attic, a couple of times, and it is murder to get around in that space. Lots and lots of beams and whatevers .....

The interesting part was when, 2 years ago, we decided to re-roof, the inspector only found one board that needed replacement on the roof.
He commented on it that the house was in excellent shape, which made us very happy, to say the least !!!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
We live just down the road from where you want to go. We are in Saratoga Springs and we moved here from the Phoenix Az area. We like where we are and the people have been very nice to us. We are just hoping we can handle the winter weathers. Our elev. here is approx 4500 so that is good.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Lawyer View Post
And, the mountains are great areas to get away into in a very short time, to either hike, run, mountain bike, ATV, camp, etc.
Just to clarify for those who have never been into the area: there are no 'mountains' surrounding Eagle Mountain. There are desert hills in the immediate area and it is built in basically what was a desert wasteland to the west of the populated Utah Valley. To get to the true mountains you have to drive into Utah Valley (or Salt Lake Valley) and to the east side (Provo Canyon, AF Canyon, Little Cottonwood, etc).

I used to hike around in the hills of the Eagle Mountain area before it was developed (Lake Mountain, Tintic Range, hills around Fairfield, Mercer mining district, Tickville/Camp Williams). I assure you, none of the 'mountains' in the area would pass for what most folks think of when the want to go to the mountains for some R&R. There is lots of sagebrush, oak brush, juniper, very few real 'trees' (only in the highest reaches), and plenty of rattlesnakes and old mine remains/tailings.

So... if you are considering moving to the immediate area, not that there is anything wrong with it, but just understand that it is NOT an alpine setting. Eagle 'Mountain' is surrounded by desert hills. It's very dry and 'greened up' only through lots of watering and irrigation.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
there are no 'mountains' surrounding Eagle Mountain.
If one takes the European parameter of what it takes to become a *mountain*, then the highest point in the south east area of Eagle mountain, misses the privilege of being called a mountain by about 200 feet. On the west of Eagle Mountain, there are peaks that qualify at about 9300 ft, which is about 4450 ft above Eagle Mountain. Eagle Mountain *sits* at about 4850 ft ASL.

Normally in Europe, a mountain must be 600 meters (1969 ft) above the surrounding area, but in the other case, like in *abrupt*, it only needs to be 300 meters (984 ft) above the surrounding area.

I am not sure when a hill becomes a mountain in the USA.
I think it is 1000 feet, but I do not have any official references.

Interestingly,
many people do know how to make a molehill into a mountain .....

Last edited by irman; 09-30-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah