Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM

25,442 posts, read 18,567,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If one takes the European parameter of what it takes to become a *mountain*, then the highest point in the south east area of Eagle mountain, misses the privilege of being called a mountain by about 200 feet. On the west of Eagle Mountain, there are peaks that qualify at about 9300 ft, which is about 4450 ft above Eagle Mountain. Eagle Mountain *sits* at about 4850 ft ASL.

Normally in Europe, a mountain must be 600 meters (1969 ft) above the surrounding area, but in the other case, like in *abrupt*, it only needs to be 300 meters (984 ft) above the surrounding area.

I am not sure when a hill becomes a mountain in the USA.
I think it is 1000 feet, but I do not have any official references.

Interestingly,
many people do know how to make a molehill into a mountain .....

Well, okay, but what I'm getting at is that when you see the name 'Eagle Mountain,' a lot of folks would picture this nice, lush alpine setting (like say Kamas, Heber, Strawberry valley, etc). I'm not saying the area is horrible or anything, but the name is a bit misleading and I'm assuming it was originally something of a marketing ploy. While it may be technically true that you could call Lake Mountain a true mountain, it's the same sort of mountain you would see in the middle of a hot, dry desert somewhere. It's also true that there is a bit of alpine splendor to the west in the Deseret Peak area or the Sheeprock mountains. But they are quite a distance from the town of Eagle Mountain. To get into what most folks think of as a 'mountain environment,' you'd have to go into the Uintahs or Wasatch to the east.

I understand your point, though, and you are correct. But, there are mountains in death valley. Maybe further description would be best. You won't get the lush, green alpine mountains with pine and aspen near Eagle Mountain; you will get very dry, desert hills and desert mountains with sagebrush and scrub oak near Eagle Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,811,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, okay, but what I'm getting at is that when you see the name 'Eagle Mountain,' a lot of folks would picture this nice, lush alpine setting (like say Kamas, Heber, Strawberry valley, etc).
Agree fully, but where does the part of Eagle come in ????

We spend a lot of week end time around Eagle Mountain (we fly around there), but never seen any eagles ?

BTW, the area around there is not inviting at all, when talking about *lush*.
Those bushes are mean, and I mean MEAN. Thorny, really hard little branches, etc.
Nope, not inviting at all.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM

25,442 posts, read 18,567,201 times
Quote:

We spend a lot of week end time around Eagle Mountain (we fly around there), but never seen any eagles ?

Those bushes are mean, and I mean MEAN. Thorny, really hard little branches, etc.
Well, to be fair, I have seen eagles and hawks in the general area, but more often it's vultures.

Ha ha, yes those bushes are mean all right. I used to fly (paragliders) in the next valley west (Rush Valley/Stockton/Tooele) and I have on more than one occasion landed in the sagebrush and oak... ouch! Plus, there is an instant waste of at least an hour untangling lines and fabric from the bushes!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,244,966 times
Anyone in Eagle Mtn ever take the bus to downtown Salt Lake? On the UTA website it says it takes 1 hour and leaves/comes back twice a day.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,747,959 times
Quote:

I've seen golden eagles in Cedar Valley. bald eagles too; they winter around Utah lake every year. So that can't be false advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah