Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 05:45 PM

15 posts, read 56,939 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Green River, Utah? Things to do in the area, shopping, schools, etc. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Small, small town with lots of melon fields.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
All I know is that there is a BIG gorge nearby!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Its not terribly far from Moab. Green River does not have much in terms of shopping. There are two tiny grocery stores. its pretty much a truck stop type town as far as I can tell.

I often stay there if we are going on a weekend bike trip to Moab - mainly because it is far cheaper to stay there.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 PM

48 posts, read 192,924 times
I've never stayed there but we did stop for a picnic lunch there recently on our way back from Moab. It has a nice visitors center & park and several new-looking motels but it didn't seem to have much of anything else. It's centrally located to a number of tourist attractions (Arches & Canyonlands National Parks, Goblin Valley State Park, a dinosaur quarry and fishing/rafting on the Green River). Apparently they have "melon festival" in September. You could try contacting the Green River Information Center (435-564-3427) for more information.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Its about 50 or 60 miles from Moab and Arches National Park. Other than that, it is truly out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe 1500 people live in the immediate area. There is no shopping other than convenience stores and cash station mini-marts that I am aware. Price, Utah is about 70 miles away. There is some shopping (not much) in Price. I'm talking about a Walmart, nothing more. Further east along I-70, you run into Grand Junction, Colorado which is maybe 100-120 miles away. This is a good sized community with shopping and a decent hospital/medical community.

There is a state park in Green River. I think the major reason the park exists is two-fold: Someone thought because of the river it would make a nice campsite. The other reason is that there is a boat ramp there at the river and they launch rafts into the river for float trips. Once a year, the Friendship Cruise takes place. People sign up for the cruise and launch their power boats at Green River. They boat downriver to the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers, than up the Colorado River to Moab.

I don't know anything about the schools in the area. I suppose I am a bit leery about them because Green River is such a small town.

In short, this is a sparsely populated, remote part of not only Utah, but of the United States. If that's what you are looking for go ahead, but understand exactly what it is.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link), for ratings comparing schools within a state but not across state lines.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 113,964 times
Wow, Green River is a one street town. Lot's of nothing to do, really, there is literally nothing to do. BUT, they grow amazing watermelons!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM

25,728 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Yeah, great melons. But the town is hotter than hell in the summer (at least it has been when I’ve been through) and it's just past the middle of nowhere. Dry does not even begin to explain the area. The nearby river allows the agriculture, but the surrounding areas are just absolutely parched. Blink your eyes and you've missed the town. I've gassed up quite a few times there on my way through.

There are some really interesting and pretty places all around... just none there! The drive on I-70 west into Richfield is truly breathtaking in spots (like Eagle Canyon). There is also Temple Mountain, Goblin Valley, San Rafael Swell, which are all interesting desert places and fairly close. And of course, Arches and Canyonlands are not too far away.

The nothing to do part wouldn't bother me at all... but the summer heat, well no thanks.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The nothing to do part wouldn't bother me at all... but the summer heat, well no thanks.
The summer heat part wouldn't bother me at all, but the nothing to do, well no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah