U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 AM

53 posts, read 443,971 times

Advertisements

Scirocco22,

I am also going to check out Mesquite when I get there in Oct. to look around. My reservation of Utah is that I am afraid since I am not LDS I night not be able to get a job I don't know if it is like that but I have read a few posts that is making me think that might be an issue.

Mesquite was another place on my list except for the heat. I went there a couple of years ago to look around and there wasn't a lot there at the time. It lookded like a nice town but just really small.

Not that small towns are bad, it's just that lowers the chance of me getting a job.

It's funny, in the midwest I can have my choice of jobs, in the west it seems like there aren't as many jobs.

I can't even imagine 118! I was in California about a month ago and it was 108 and it was hard to breathe.

Leilani
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 AM

1,818 posts, read 7,266,125 times
Default Just as an FYI ...

The highest temperature ever recorded in Utah was 117 recorded in Saint George in 1985. I'm a trivia nut

As for jobs, I can't tell whether you would meet with any discrimination being non-LDS, but the company I work for in Salt Lake is quite mixed. They have been heavily recruiting people from back east.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 19,791 times
Ok, I was giving a worse case temp. On a hot day durring the summer it is around 110, but we have seen it higher. Air conditioning in the car and the house is a must.
Seattle was a great place to live, but I like it better here, and I am it is nice where you are at also.
It is like having two summers (spring and fall) one very short winter about 2 months at 30-45 degrees, then one real hot summer, but it is usually a dry heat.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,931,602 times
Hi Leilani, you don't say how long ago it was since you've been in Mesquite but it's really growing ...fast! Everywhere you look there's construction, both commerical and residential. There's a huge Del Webb community going in and the Barcelona resort has been approved and will be going in at the west interchange.

And remember, although Mesquite is a LDS-founded town and still has a very strong Mormon influence, it's still more diverse than St. George. I believe St. George is still predominantly LDS. 85% is what I heard. coolcats, do you have the stats on that?? So your chances of being discriminated against in the job market because you're non-Mormon are less.

As far as the temperatures go, give it a try. I was the same way at one time when talking to people in Phoenix, etc. They always told me that "but it's a dry heat." I thought "yeah, a dry heat maybe but 115 is still HOT." The humidity is usually around 10% anytime the temperature is above 100, it actually IS a dry heat. Remember though, it's only above 100 for about 3 months or so, so the rest of the year it's quite pleasant.

Hey coolcats! Interesting statistic. Thanks for posting!

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 PM

1,818 posts, read 7,266,125 times
Default I had to look this one up ...

The percentage of LDS in Washington County is about 60 percent. It declined from 75 percent in 1989. The actual number of LDS is more than ever, but there are just so many other people moving there from all over the country that the LDS population is more diluted.

Here's the link:

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...rticle=2888060

Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 PM

HI Everyone

Thanks for all the info

Those temps sound pretty intense. I remember being in Vegas once and it was around 116 and It was unreal I guess if you live there long enough then you would get used to it.

I lived in Guam and the humidity was horrible. The water would run off the walls. I had to keep my eyeliner in the frig or it would melt and we had airconsditioning! LOL eventually I got used to it. I would hope it would be the same in the dry heat.

I am a Nuclear Pharmacist so it's not like I can just get a job anywhere. I have a license in Hawaii, Ohio, Arizona and I am going to take California, Utah and Nevada as well as the NAPLEX (<----national exam) all this year. So I think I will be set not matter where I want to go. I have already applied for them and am just waiting for my OK's to take them.

I am really hoping I can find a place in Nevada that I like. The income tax or lack thereof would be awesome.

I was in Mesquite about 1 yr ago. I just don't remeber seeing a lot of pharmacies or hospitals in the area but it was nice. I naturally want to work in a hospital in my own field but if need be, I can work retail. ( UGH)

Also, I was hunting around and I found a demographics report on Utah and it seemed like the wages were really low. Is this the case or was I looking at out dated info? The date of the website said 2006.

I love the red rocks in St. George area. Reminds me of Sedona. I was thinking it might me a good second choice if Nevada didn't work out. But after reading some of the posts, it made me start being concerned about not getting hired because of me not being LDS. I have to say this is the first time I have some across an area that your religion is an issue. Not sure if that is even something I want to have to deal with.

I have another question about Mesquite. I am Vegan and I try to eat Organic...is there any stores around there for me or will I have to drive to Henderson? (Wild Oats? Whole Foods?)

OK that is all my questions for now. Thanks for your help

Leilani

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 PM

Hi again, Leilani!

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I now remember that you're a pharmacist from another thread. No, you're right ...I don't think there are any stand-alone pharmacies in town aside from places like Rite Aid and the one located inside the Smith's grocery store unless there's going to be some opening up with all the new strip malls, etc. they're building. There's only one hospital in town and it's fairly new. It opened two years ago. If I can find out more, I'll let you know.

As far as natural food stores go, you're right, you'll have to go to Vegas right now. There's even no Whole Foods or Wild Oats in St. George (and I first thought St. George had everything). You may be able to find a limited selection of natural or organic foods inside Smith's but I don't know for sure as I've never really looked. I think there's both a Whole Foods and a Wild Oats in both Las Vegas and Henderson. Again, if I find out anything different, I'll let you know.

--'rocco

Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 PM

Something just occurred to me: there is a small nutrition shop in town called Valley Nutrition that I believe sells mainly vitamin supplements, etc. but does have a limited selection of organic and natural foods. Nothing like Whole Foods though.

And come to think about it, I have seen a small natural food market in St. George. I can't remember the name of it right now but if I think of it, I'll PM you.

If this post gets deleted because the moderator thinks it's advertising, then I'll PM you the information posted here.

--'rocco

Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Hey Rocco,

Thanks for the info. You know I have been seeing commercials here that Walmart is selling organic food now. As a matter of fact I read they are going to be the largest buyer or organic produce in the country. So Maybe when I am there I can just zip into Wally World and see what they carry.

If need be, I will drive to Henderson. I'd rather drive than eat non organic.

I will be anxious to see how Mesquite is growing. Last night I made a list of the places we will check out and which places I have to find hotels at. It is 9 different places! LOL But we have 3 weeks so we might as well make the most of it.

Not long ago I was talking to a Pharmacy Recruiter and he told me of a 50K bonus that was available at 2 locations in another state....I knew the cities so knew I would never accept a job like that. Which is why I want to travel all over so if they say "have I got a deal for you"...at least I will have a chance of knowing alittle about the area.

Anyway, thanks again for helping out so much with the info. For someone trying to relocate, this board is so helpful and people like you are just awesome

Have a wonderful day.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:14 PM

33 posts, read 172,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
...and with a Starbucks? Nah, ain't gunna happen.
FYI - We actually have two Starbucks (and another on the way) along with five or six "better" coffee shops. We've even got a couple nice lounges and a sports bar going in. Things have really changed the last 12 months.

How's that for a first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah