Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite of Utah's national parks (posted in alphabetical order)
Arches 11 19.30%
Bryce Canyon 11 19.30%
Canyonlands 6 10.53%
Capitol Reef 4 7.02%
Zion 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM

57 posts, read 158,063 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys and Girls Let me ask one more question. We are going to go to Bryce, we have decided to skip Cap Reef but we want to drive the dirt? road that turns down just east of Bryce, past some Arches and go back to Page that way. Does anyone know if that is a good dirt road, or have any suggestions about the drivability of that road? Couldn't find the road number on the map I have. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Bryce will likely have snow by the time of your trip. Heck we got snow today and it's sticking here in SLC. I would think really hard about a drit road in those condiitons!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'm a Utah visitor. My favorite is Zion, because I find it the most sculptural, or rather, I favor that kind of sculptural look over the hoodoo kind of sculptures.
That said, last summer I had a marvelous jeep tour with a great guide of Cap Reef, and then horseback riding in the mountains up above it (way above it). It was amazing to sit and see Jailhouse in front of me, and three days later, be looking down at a tiny tiny Jailhouse. And the only people we saw (my guide and me) were a couple of guys working on the dirt road. All day. It's really a treasure.
(Unfortunately, I discover that I am completely allergic to something in Utah in July/August unless I'm up above, say, 7,000 feet. No medications helped).

Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Default Canyonlands!

Just got back to SoCal from another spectacular trip to Moab. Snow on the northern slopes after the storm before Thanksgiving! Last fall we visited Arches, and this time we headed for Canyonlands. We only had time for the Island in the Sky part--next time we'll go to Dead Horse Point, and go in from the south and take a look at the Needles. A couple of years ago we visited Bryce and Zion. Right now Canyonlands gets my vote, for two reasons: The enormity of the vistas--and the fact that we really had it all to ourselves! Two days before Thanksgiving, and I think we saw 5 cars althogether. It seems to be the least "managed" park of them all, with rough trails and only a small Visitor's Center, and you really get a bit of a feel for what it must have been like to visit a national park before the tourist influx. Of course the time of year has something to do with it. When we left after sunset, the only lights we saw on the plateau were two campfires! After we came home I realized that our photos just don't do the park justice, because of its grandeur--it was easier to take good pics in Arches and Bryce.

Here's one from Island in the Sky, looking east toward the LaSals.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I've been to Zion many years ago. I would like to see every National Park in Utah, with Arches being the first on my list next time around, though Bryce Canyon looks equally amazing. Again I want to see them all and hike around all of them. Utah's scenery kicks ass!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I guess that I will stir up a little controversy.

Canyonlands is by far my favorite National Park in the state of Utah. It was an "add on" to Arches but I enjoyed spending hours hiking around the park and looking at all of the canyons. I thought it was more impressive than even Arches or the Grand Canyon.

Dead Horse Point State Park was also a really absolutely great place to sit for hours.

Capitol Reef was pretty cool between seeing the orchards, the petroglyphs, and the like. I have to say that the two restaurants in the area - Cafe Diablo in Torrey and the Sundrop Cafe in Bicknell - were absolutely great.

However, my one goal in life was to climb to Timpanagos Cave which I accomplished in 2006 (and will never do again).

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm pretty sure that cali has 7 parks, and dozens of monuments and stuff.

either way, i'd say capitol reef is my favorite, though i love them all. one of the things that attracts me to capitol reef is the solitude. especially in the winter. it's almost time again...
Capitol Reef is amazing, and my top pick as well. And as a bonus, not popular. Arches would be my second choice.

Zion is great, but gets so crowded so I only go off-season. If you haven't, you must hike The Subway in Zion. It's magical.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,275 times
I've been to Zion, Bryce, Arches and Canyonlands. I picked Arches for my top pick. I haven't been to Zion or Bryce in years, though. I've heard phenomenal things about the Goblin Valley, so I really want to go and never heard of Capital Reef until this thread! LOL

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM

224 posts, read 640,167 times
I hadn't seen this before so I thought I'd vote.

I'm absolutely amazed that Zion is the top vote getter. It is my favorite park, but in my experience most people like Bryce better. Hmmm

I put Zion in the top because I have had the most experience there, partly because there is so much to see and do. I always find something new and wonderful almost every time I go, which is often. How can you not love the thrill and views from Angel's Landing, or the waterfalls off the cliffs during a rainstorm, or the womb of the earth feeling while slogging through the Narrows, or the peace you can find sitting by the river, or the wonder of green trees against red rock, or the majestic and awesome West Rim views and so much more?

Capitol Reef is fantastic and I really love it as well. It is a very close second.

I enjoy Arches every time I go, but is too small and too much the same (not sure where you guys see the variety). Same thing for Bryce, it is an absolute treasure, but after you've done the trails what is there to do?

Canyonlands may be up there but I haven't done much there except the easy typical drive by in both Island in the sky and Needles. Maybe if I could go 4 wheeling, or do all the hikes in the Needles section I would appreciate it better.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I guess that I will stir up a little controversy.

Canyonlands is by far my favorite National Park in the state of Utah. It was an "add on" to Arches but I enjoyed spending hours hiking around the park and looking at all of the canyons. I thought it was more impressive than even Arches or the Grand Canyon.

Dead Horse Point State Park was also a really absolutely great place to sit for hours.

Capitol Reef was pretty cool between seeing the orchards, the petroglyphs, and the like. I have to say that the two restaurants in the area - Cafe Diablo in Torrey and the Sundrop Cafe in Bicknell - were absolutely great.

However, my one goal in life was to climb to Timpanagos Cave which I accomplished in 2006 (and will never do again).

No controversy here. lol As w/ food, many here prefer the 'bland' taste of Zion. Again, that IS MY OPINION. lol

My 1st choice is Bryce. We did the Fairyland Loop along w/ the Rim Trail w/o enough water (we were from the east & underestimated the water consumption lol) .

2nd, Capitol Reef, w/ it's horses & fruit. =) Our kids loved it. =)

3rd, popular, but amazing Arches.

4th, Canyonlands.

Distant last, for me, is over crowded, & over hyped Zion. For most, & out of town, amazing, but, Utah has ALOT more to offer, IMO. lol

These are just my opinion. I've been to all 5 parks numerous times, even though I'm not from here. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: