Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 AM

21 posts, read 66,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlifeisgreat View Post
How are the people in Heber and Midway? If you haven't grown up there are they the welcoming sort? How are the teenagers? Are they on the friendly or snobby side? We want to relocate, and think it is a great place. We have vacationed there several summers and love to snow ski. I just can't take our kids to a place that won't include them. It is hard to relocate at a teenager. Does anyone have experience with relocating teenager to Heber?
I think you'll find a mixed bag in Heber. Heber is becoming a lot more religiously, ethnically, and culturally diverse. A lot of kids are from families that moved to Heber from out-of-state after the Olympics. I think the kids here are used to being around others with various backgrounds. My guess is they are more on the friendly side. While most people associate snobbyness with Heber because of the more expensive housing market, there does not seem to be a vibe here of snobbyness and exclusiveness. A lot of the kids have grown up with not a lot of money (their families were here before it became expensive) and so my guess is they would be fairly accepting.

As is the case with most places in Utah, a lot of what teenagers here are involved with are activities that are sponsored by the LDS church. Scouting is huge in the church, and they are more than welcoming to non-LDS scouts. That being said, if you are not comfortable with your kids being involved in activities sponsored by the church, your kids may feel a little excluded due to the fact that there is only so much time that kids have nowadays and the LDS kids are going to be involved with a lot of church-related activities. I have known non-LDS families that have taken advantage of the fact that the LDS church welcomes non-LDS kids to their activities and I have known non-LDS families that have not wanted their kids to be involved with these activities. Those families taking advantage of all of the LDS-sponsored activities have had a far better experience feeling like their kids are accepted. Most kids here are accepting by nature and if given the opportunity will accept those with different religious backgrounds. I'm LDS and had many friends in high school that were not LDS or were not religious. In fact, one of my best friends was a Muslim and religion was never an issue.

I think you will love Heber despite its flaws. There are near limitless recreational opportunities. Having lived in various parts of Utah, I believe Heber is definitely the most beautiful area in Utah, even compared to Park City. The housing market is on the rebound too as assessed values last year have increased, but only slightly. So, now is the time to buy as we likely have hit rock bottom are there are still a lot of affordable homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,187 times
Havent heard of snake creek grill. We ate at Claim Jumper and being from Texas where the steaks are fantastic, I was a bit worried about the food. I ordered a steak and baked potato and had a really nice wine. They didnt load the potato w/ butter,sour cream,bacon,onion or grated cheese so I was disappointed in that. The steak was good but not the best I have ever had. The prices were a bit high for the quality as well. I will eat there again, as it is the nicest place to eat in heber that I have seen. I would love to see a new steak house come in that actually new what it meant to cook a good steak.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM

146 posts, read 493,425 times
Heber has a large Hispanic population in the city, lots of ski bums in the city, but once you get into the outlying housing developments it turns pretty LDS. Nothing wrong with that, most LDS folks tend to make really nice neighbors.

If you can afford it, check out the PC area to live, it's only about 15 minutes away.

Heber Valley is very very pretty, on par with Jackson and any other scenic valley in the mountain west.

Great golf, some good local food, two movie theaters, it's a really nice town.

I personally would want to live in town, in a little old bungalow, they are really cute and the neighborhoods are a little more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah