Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:37 PM

31 posts, read 138,809 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm looking at taking a job in Loa Utah at Aspen Academy-pretty much the only thing out there. I've lived in Provo for a number of years, but was born and currently live in San Diego and I understand that Loa is a VERY small town sort of out in the middle of nowhere, but this job would only be for about a year, so my question is, what's life like there? I there anything out there besides the Academy? How far away is the nearest decent sized town? I've never been, I've never even spoken to anyone who has been, so Im completely in the dark with this one. Anything you might be able to give me would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Wow! This is going to be a HUGE adjustment. I've never actually even been in Loa, just seen the exit sign on the interstate. Yup, Loa is a VERY small town sort of out in the middle of nowhere. Some people might not mind it for a year, but it would absolutely be the death of me, especially after living in San Diego.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Hi guys,

I'm looking at taking a job in Loa Utah at Aspen Academy-pretty much the only thing out there. I've lived in Provo for a number of years, but was born and currently live in San Diego and I understand that Loa is a VERY small town sort of out in the middle of nowhere, but this job would only be for about a year, so my question is, what's life like there? I there anything out there besides the Academy? How far away is the nearest decent sized town? I've never been, I've never even spoken to anyone who has been, so Im completely in the dark with this one. Anything you might be able to give me would be so appreciated. Thanks!

.................................................. ...............................................

Loa is a very small town indeed. The nearest decent size place would probably be Richfield which is about 50 to 60 miles west if memory serves me. Richfield has about 10,000 people. I believe there is a Walmart, other chain stores, an IHC Hospital, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc.

In Loa, you'll find very little. There are a couple of gas station/convenience stores. I believe there is a forest service office. Its the county seat of Wayne County (a very small county in population). Someone tried to run a bed and breakfast there that I think has closed. About five miles west of town there is a cheese factory that conducts tours and gives you a little free cheese. There are LDS churches too. East of Loa about 10-20 miles is another little place called Bicknell. Bicknell contains the high school and probably the middle school for the Wayne County School District. I think there is a theater there that shows old movies. About ten miles east of Bicknell is Torrey which is the entrance to Capitol Reef National Park. It would be nice to live that close to a place like Capitol Reef! The outskirts of the park are surrounded by motels and a few restaurants. State Highway 14(?) goes south out of Bicknell and will take one through the mountains and down to Escalante.

In short, if you love the outdoors it maybe a fun place to spend some time. If you get bored easily, you'll probably go nuts there, lol.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,422 times
Richfield is about 45 minutes away. There's more "populated" cities if you continue on the main road through Loa. I've grown up going to Loa for a few weeks every year and I love it. I'll admit- it is a break from San Diego or Huntington (one of the places I'm from), but you'll enjoy it. My friend's mom works at Aspen Academy, and she likes it. So yes, if it's for a year, go. The world there is sooooo nice! It's quiet, and BEAUTIFUL. There's Fish Lake, Capitol Reef, etc! Oh yeah, the bed and breakfast is still open. In Bicknell, there's the movies, High School, Middle School, and a public pool. The county fairs are always the best. If you get bored easily, go ride your dirtbike or quad! It's all legal, and the locals will show you the best places.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM

224 posts, read 639,886 times
I've often thought Loa or Bicknell would be a great place to live. I always think of them as one place, they are so close together. I have only driven through them on the way to Capitol Reef or beyond though so can't speak from experience what living there would be like.

I took a class up at the U once where we had some people from Bicknell also in the class. They attended via remote connection TV. It was fun to have them be a part of our discussions.

I have several friends in Torrey just 16 miles down the road and they LOVE it. It is so close to all the wonderful things that make Utah a great place... fishing, camping, road tripping, back roads, dirt roads, forests, red rock, national parks. If you like the outdoors there might not be a better place to live. If you are more a city person then it might be too much of a change. You could live in Torrey and commute...Torrey might be more to your liking.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Personally, I would LOVE to live in Loa or any of a dozen southern UT towns. The problem is finding a job.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM

226 posts, read 567,329 times
I have a friend who teaches in a similar institution for troubled adolescents. Part of the reason they are in such locations is that they want to make it so that running away would not be easy, and there are few attractions to lure the kids to try to sneak out at night. They could not have chosen a better location than Loa. But if Aspen Academy accepts students with violent offenses in their history, I would choose to live outside of Loa so that students wouldn't know where I lived. Bicknell and Torrey would be good places to look.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
I posted a thread about Wayne County and did get one reply. Of course, this thread is helping me too. It looks like Loa, Bicknell, Torrey, or Teasdale is just what I'm looking for. I may have to wait until I retire in three or four years but if I could find a job, that would be wonderful and I could move sooner. I'm going to try to get to Utah this summer and check it all out. I'm so tired of the relentless heat and humidity in Central Texas (not to mention several other things) and Utah is looking really nice with lots of sunny days and decent seasons. Even in the heat of the summer, it cools down to the 50s at night (according to AccuWeather.com). Geez, sometimes at 11 p.m. here, it's still 98 degrees. Ugh.

I'd like to ask what it's like to only receive about eight inches of rain for the year. Maybe we just get too much rain here and hearing about so little makes me wonder. I moved to Texas from Southern California 32 years ago (big mistake) and although we didn't get a lot of rain, it didn't seem to bother me, but that's all I knew, so to speak.

I'm a Baptist and I seen there is a Baptist Church in Torrey. I realize Utah is predominantly Mormons (had a wonderful friend in CA who was a Mormon), but I don't think that should matter.

I am just in awe at the gorgeous photos I see on the internet of central Utah. Beautiful!

If anyone has any suggestions of other really small and awesome towns, I'd love to hear about them. I just don't want some place that gets a whole lot of snow.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 01-23-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I just don't want some place that gets a whole lot of snow.
Choose a place that is below 3000 feet.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Choose a place that is below 3000 feet.
Torrey is about 5,500 feet, but it only averages 15 inches of snow. I don't think that sounds like much at all during the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah