Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM

72 posts, read 317,136 times

Advertisements

We are fortunate enough to be retiring in our early 50's in 2011.

Question: What is the most beautiful historic residential neigborhood in Utah?
We are only interested in 2 criteria:
1) a high concentration of beautiful, historic homes;
2) decent weather for most of the year.

(Assume emloyment , housing costs, and all other factors irrelevant.) Feel free to post any photos if you have them.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 AM

14,300 posts, read 14,091,541 times
We are fortunate enough to be retiring in our early 50's in 2011.

Question: What is the most beautiful historic residential neigborhood in Utah?
We are only interested in 2 criteria:
1) a high concentration of beautiful, historic homes;
2) decent weather for most of the year.

(Assume emloyment , housing costs, and all other factors irrelevant.) Feel free to post any photos if you have them.
Thanks in advance.

.................................................. ..................................................

Not sure what you mean by "decent weather". If you mean not "ice cold" like the Dakotas, Montana, or Minnesota than Salt Lake is probably fine. We get snow during the winter, but not as bad as those places. On the other hand, if you want to avoid most of the snow you are going to have to move down south to St. George.

In Salt Lake, the area along South Temple Avenue is full of beautiful old historic homes. These homes include the Governor's Mansion and homes of other prominent Utahns who lived 50 to 100 years ago. Utah State History is a site you might take a look at for contacts and other information.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM

25,225 posts, read 18,388,490 times
It really depends on what 'flavor' and size of city/town you want to live in. Many towns have an historical district. In SLC, you have the east side of downtown and avenues (and other pockets), in Provo there is the downtown/east Center Street area. Ogden has some nice old homes. If you are into smaller towns, there are places like Mount Pleasant where nearly the entire downtown is on the national historic register. There are plenty of smaller former mining towns with some historic homes/areas.

As for the weather. Well, what's decent? To varying degrees, all of Utah has cold, snowy winters. The only exception is extreme southwestern Utah (St. George, etc), but the summers are hotter than sin there too. Typically in the rest of the state, the winter alternates with snowstorms (sometimes heavy) and clear days with cold temps. Again, it varies, but lows are teens to twenties at night typically and twenties and thirties during the day. At times there is a short spell of slightly higher or lower temps. Snow tends to be on the ground for most of the winter, usually. On the benches, you will certainly get more snow. And of course, in the mountain valley towns, even more snow. Roads can be miserable at times, but the road crews do an all right job, typically.

I'd say, in general, most of Utah tends to have fairly cold, snowy winters, and hot, dry summers... and short springs and autumns in between. To get a general idea, find the elevation of the valley you are considering. The higher it is, the more snow and colder it will be. Utah Valley (Provo) is at around 4500 ft. Winter can be nasty at times with sometimes significant snow. Kamas is at around 6500 ft and winters ARE cold and there IS significant snow. Monticello is at 7000 ft, and even though they are in extreme southern Utah, they get a lot of snow and it's quite cold there (in fact there used to be a ski resort near Monticello). On the other hand, if you go to Marysvale or Tropic, even though you get cold winters, they are not as bad and there is much less snow accumulation. So... as you can see, it's a mixed bag.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,707,159 times
I would consider a small town. It's not Utah but southern Idaho around the Bear lake area still has it's turn of the century farming town feel. Logan and the small towns in Cache valley are nice and quite historic too.

Off the top of my head there are several historic districts along the Wasatch front in Ogden, Kaysville, Farmington, Bountiful, West Bountiful, SLC, Midvale, Draper, American fork, Provo and probably in other cities too. They would be good places to start looking and all have really beautiful, one of a kind historic houses.

I live in a National Register listed historic home in South Davis County myself. I'm not too fond of the cookie-cutter vinyl surroundings that replaced the fields, farms and other old houses around my own, but I love living in an old house.

As far as weather goes... if you want perfect weather, don't live in Utah. It seems like it's always either too hot or too cold wherever you are in the state.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
To me, that's easy. The Avenues. It's an area in SLC a little N of downtown. Very old, beautiful homes that are well maintained. It's elevated and a lot of the homes would have good views too. But it's not cheap.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM

602 posts, read 1,865,702 times
I love the old victorian homes in Ogden. There are so many rennovations going on currently, and they just look gorgeous! I love the sidewalks with the big, old trees lining them.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM

498 posts, read 1,448,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
I love the old victorian homes in Ogden. There are so many rennovations going on currently, and they just look gorgeous! I love the sidewalks with the big, old trees lining them.
Yeah, Ogden really is nice. There's a great set of photos here.

I've actually never been there to check it out, my favorite is still Harvard-Yale.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Yeah, Ogden really is nice. There's a great set of photos here.

I've actually never been there to check it out, my favorite is still Harvard-Yale.
WOW! Gorgeous homes and photos. I can see a trip to Ogden in my future. Thanks for the link.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM

602 posts, read 1,865,702 times
Hey, there's a picture of my townhome in there!! Now you all know why I'm so happy with our new place

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

427 posts, read 1,299,980 times
So what kind of city / town are you looking for? Bigger city or smaller town, etc? St. George has become a retirement mecca of sorts. It's basically a desert, but a beautiful one - extremely hot and dry summers, and very comfortable springs, falls, and winters.

Because I like to rep Logan, Utah I'll post a few from the historic district there that runs around the Center Street area close to downtown.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: