Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 54,738 times

Advertisements

Need some info, mostly on Salem. Places to rent, Grocery stores, LDS chapels, town feel, etc. I am from a small town of 7,000 in Arkansas and and relocating for a job in Provo, UT, and really dont want to live in a large city.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjoth View Post
Need some info, mostly on Salem. Places to rent, Grocery stores, LDS chapels, town feel, etc. I am from a small town of 7,000 in Arkansas and and relocating for a job in Provo, UT, and really dont want to live in a large city.

thanks.
Not to discourage you, but the entire valley around Provo is nearly one big city. The 'smaller' towns are nearly all connected together. Is it nearing 400,000 that I heard for the population of Utah Valley now? I can't remember. At any rate, there are lots of folks here.

With that said, Salem is probably about the best choice in the valley for retaining a somewhat 'small' feel. It's expanding fast like everywhere else around here, but it retains a bit of its small-community feel. Be warned, though, that traffic in and out (through Spanish Fork) during rush hour can be a nightmare. Salem has a grocery store, several gas stations, some eateries, etc. Spanish fork has more grocery stores, k-mart, shopko, all the usual fast food places, a bunch of gas stations, and businesses along main street. As for LDS chapels, there is one on every block everywhere in the valley. Well, almost! Let's just say you won't have any trouble finding them. Rent tends to be a bit pricey (as is home value).

Again, like I said, don't expect too small-town of a feel, though. It's not at all like a small, isolated town in other areas. These 'small towns' (Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Orem, Provo, and to a lesser degree Springville, Spanish Fork, Salem) are basically one connected urban area. Once you hit Spanish Fork (going south), Salem, Payson, and Santaquin are still recognizable as distinct cities. But, I suspect they won't be for long if past growth is any indication. In effect, you are moving into an 'urban area' of almost 400,000 people. But Salem is about the best choice (or south) to avoid the brunt of them (except the traffic situation). If you are familiar with Phoenix AZ and the surrounding 'cities' (Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale, Tempe, Paradise Valley, etc), that's probably where this area is headed (just one humongous carpet of city from Ogden, through SLC, and down to the Provo area).

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-14-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
Based on what you described you want I believe that there's little doubt that Salem IS your town. It is a very small town indeed and NO it is in NO way connected to the other towns. I was there fairly recently speaking with a businessman we called on for our work. I was very enchanted with the place. In the fall it gets so very colorful with the leaves. I loved the smaller town feel to it, which quite frankly nearly ALL of the closest other towns have begun to lose (Springville and Payson). It doesn't have much in the way of shopping there as I recalled. I recall a dentist, a bank and a convenience store gas station, but that was about it. You'll likely drive to Spanish Fork to shop I suspect, but that's ok. I agree with you I don't like the city thing. I would bet you'd be just fine. It is very LDS so you'll fit right in.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
we have a crisps (grocery store) in salem now, as well as one stoplight. though there is a stoplight at the top of the hill by the hare krishna temple, but i can't ever remember if that is technically salem or spanish fork...

we tend to get more snow in salem than provo and the rest of the county northward does.

the only rentals that i know of offhandedly are right behind crisps.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,765 times
Actually Utah Valley is at about 550,000. Spanish Fork and Salem still are distinct though and not totally connected. Spanish Fork has about 30,000 people while Salem is a bit smaller (maybe 10,000?). They all have some retail, and LDS Chapels? Probably just look at the nearest corner Spanish Fork would be my choice out of the two, then again I like bigger areas. The views from there are pretty amazing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: