U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,076 times

Advertisements

well
I'm a big fan of Aspen and Colorado. but I want to know more about Utah because I'm gonna move to UT soon.

Therefore, I'm looking for several things in the city::

I'm single.
cultural places " museum, Library .... "
Entertainment " bars, night club, theaters, malls, zoo, cafe outdoor, parks, ..."
safe wonderful and clean
sports " GYM, WALK PATH, FIELD, ...."

Therefore, I want to know is there any city better than ASPEN AND AUSTIN??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,023,560 times
The only city in the state which comes close to what you want is Salt Lake City. But the nightlife is nothing to compare to the others you listed.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,357,037 times
Salt Lake City or Park City are pretty much your only options.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM

48 posts, read 180,076 times
If you like the outdoors then you should love it here - hiking & mountain biking in the summer, skiing/snowboarding and snow shoeing in the winter. Yes there are plenty of shopping malls, gyms, libraries, live theatre, museums, parks, a zoo, sporting grounds here, plus a national basketball (Utah Jazz) and national soccer (Real Salt Lake) team which neither Aspen or Austin have. College football is pretty big here too with both Utah and BYU currently ranked in the top 25.
On the down side, you won't find the singles "party" options that you might enjoy in Austin - the live music scene certainly doesn't compare to Austin, but there are some bars and nightclubs in downtown Salt Lake. You also won't find the good Tex Mex and BBQ that you get in Austin, but there are some good local mexican and BBQ options here that we've found acceptable (my husband lived in Austin for 15 years from college onwards).
On the whole, there are a lots of activities and services available in Salt Lake City, like there are in most major cities plus some that are unique to only a few because of our beautiful mountains. In the end life here will be pretty much what you make of it.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 AM

602 posts, read 1,743,699 times
I say Park City. I fell in love with it when we visited last April before we moved to Utah permenantly. It's expensive though, though if you were looking to move to Aspen, you probably won't notice. I love the vibe there. Main street is fun, with a bunch of bars and restaurants grouped together and during ski season there are all kinds of seasonal restaurants and places open at the resorts. It definitely has a touristy feel, but at the same time, everyone is super friendly, at least that was our experience. The Whole Foods store there was also fabulous!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM

515 posts, read 2,191,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0707 View Post
well
I'm a big fan of Aspen and Colorado. but I want to know more about Utah because I'm gonna move to UT soon.

I'm single.
Entertainment " bars, night club, theaters, malls, zoo, cafe outdoor, parks, ..."
safe wonderful and clean

If you can afford Aspen, Park City will seem like a bargain, and it has a similar "ski town" feel to it. For more cultural opportunities you can drive 30 minutes down to Salt Lake.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 PM

97 posts, read 204,661 times
You have set the bar too high Best stay where you're at

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM

139 posts, read 452,056 times
Default SLC is no Austin - and Austin is no SLC

I hate threads comparing cities, because cities have such distinct personalities, that it's hard to do it objectively. However, I've lived in Austin and in SLC, and they both have significant pros and significant cons.

My take on Austin is that Austin "proper" is a really cool town. Great music scene, great food town and a cool liberal vibe that you can only get in a major college town like Austin.

However, that being said, the infrastructure in Austin is terrible. The traffic is horrible, and commute times to the burbs is insane...at almost any time of the day.

Property taxes are nuts. A home owner with a $200k house can expect to pay well over $4k in property taxes a year.

My biggest gripe with Austin... was that as cool as the town is, the suburban sprawl was terrible. Round Rock, Pflugerville, Buda, etc...were all just giant box stores, franchises, generic suburban culture that you would find in any western city. Parking lots and Super Targets as far as they eye can see...with a Chili's restaurant thrown into to break up the scenery....but that's suburban America, or Generica, everywhere I suppose...it juse seems more pronounced in suburban Austin.

SLC, has the same problem...suburban sprawl with little character in the burbs.

SLC proper however, doesn't have the same hip vibe that Austin has. The U of U doesn't influence SLC they way that U. of Texas influences Austin....not even close. The music scene here doesn't hold a candle to Austin and the restaurant options are poor compared to Austin.

What SLC does have is a much more beautiful setting (subjective, I know), incredible access to public land. I mean, you have National Forest access with a 10 minute drive. Nothing in Austin compares to that.

The infrastructure here is considerably better...commutes aren't nearly as congested as they were in Austin. (thanks to the Olympics)

For what it's worth, if you are looking at living in an Urban environment, I'd stick with Austin. Great downtown living options, lots of entertainment downtown, night clubs, restaurants, etc....those are all things that SLC doesn't have. However, if you are a suburbanite with kids, then I'd take SLC....more family friendly venues, better infrastructure, and far better outdoor recreation than anything you'll find in Austin.

So, for what it's worth....then again, if your options are SLC, Austin or Aspen, and you can afford any of them...how can you pick SLC over Aspen?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,406,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Salt Lake City or Park City are pretty much your only options.
True, they are our Austin and Aspen equivalents.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM

867 posts, read 780,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0707 View Post
well

I'm single.
safe wonderful and clean

Ketchum ID. is better than Aspen, and Boise ID. is better than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: