U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM

36 posts, read 105,754 times

Advertisements

What is with Utah drivers? I'm in the middle of Moderator cut: rude , someone has their blinker on and NO ONE will let him in! I see this time and time again. I'm so sick of inconsiderate drivers who clearly see someone that has their blinker on to change lanes and they speed up on purpose to block the person out. What is with that!!!???

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-23-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 AM

13,826 posts, read 12,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermountain Dog View Post
What is with Utah drivers? I'm in the middle of Moderator cut: rude , someone has their blinker on and NO ONE will let him in! I see this time and time again. I'm so sick of inconsiderate drivers who clearly see someone that has their blinker on to change lanes and they speed up on purpose to block the person out. What is with that!!!???
Welcome to Utah. Half the drivers need to lose their licenses.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-24-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM

2,929 posts, read 5,707,669 times
Ahhh I see you've been introduced to the "Me First Utah Driving Rules". It means that as soon as a Utah driver enters their vehicle and turns on the ignition, they enter the world of a video game and must, at all costs finish FIRST. This means getting to their destination via all necessary means of being in front of the next person, no matter if they are allowing one car length in front of themselves for safety, it is imperative that they cut into that small spot so that they can claim to have been in front of someone along the way of their travels. This of course also involves most often not alerting the driver with a turn signal, that their air space is about to be removed in front of them. This also means that on the interstate it is essential that you be driving a minimum of 15mph in excess of the posted speed limit, so as to intimidate those in the left (passing lane) who are already going 10mph over the posted speed limit to move out of your superior way.

In Utah's defense I know of at least 3 other places in the U.S. where this practice is considered art form. Houston TX, Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA. Not sure how this practice made it here. Even in LA at least they use a turn signal and give you 1.5 seconds to MAKE your move.

If I am guilty of ever having participated in this driving habit, it would be due to the excessively lame drivers here that are continually distracted by either their brats, cell phone or makeup(sometimes all of the above at the same time), and don't choose to get moving when the time has come to do so, and I'll blaze around them ASAP.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM

13,826 posts, read 12,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Ahhh I see you've been introduced to the "Me First Utah Driving Rules". It means that as soon as a Utah driver enters their vehicle and turns on the ignition, they enter the world of a video game and must, at all costs finish FIRST. This means getting to their destination via all necessary means of being in front of the next person, no matter if they are allowing one car length in front of themselves for safety, it is imperative that they cut into that small spot so that they can claim to have been in front of someone along the way of their travels. This of course also involves most often not alerting the driver with a turn signal, that their air space is about to be removed in front of them. This also means that on the interstate it is essential that you be driving a minimum of 15mph in excess of the posted speed limit, so as to intimidate those in the left (passing lane) who are already going 10mph over the posted speed limit to move out of your superior way.

In Utah's defense I know of at least 3 other places in the U.S. where this practice is considered art form. Houston TX, Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA. Not sure how this practice made it here. Even in LA at least they use a turn signal and give you 1.5 seconds to MAKE your move.

If I am guilty of ever having participated in this driving habit, it would be due to the excessively lame drivers here that are continually distracted by either their brats, cell phone or makeup(sometimes all of the above at the same time), and don't choose to get moving when the time has come to do so, and I'll blaze around them ASAP.
Yep, this sums it up nicely.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,404,237 times
I went back to LA a month ago and was shocked to see people would actually let me in if I signaled. I guess we need more freeway shootings to make Utah drivers more courteous.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,703,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermountain Dog View Post
Utah has long been known as having idiotic drivers despite the fact the over all states population is labeled as kind and giving. I have never been in a state or city where you are sitting first in line at a stop light and someone will pull up to your right acting like they are turning right and then when the light turns green they gun it and cut you off and they don't turn right after all. I have heard this referred to as the Mormon 500.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,100,723 times
i was on the bus last night, and where the two southbound lanes merge on 198 through spanish fork, a guy in a truck tried racing up past us, but couldn't make it in time despite his dangerous speeds, BECAUSE IT WAS A BUS (what is that, 40 to 50 feet long?)!!

his response, instead of waiting patiently, was to honk at us (because he is obviously entitled to force public transportation on to the shoulder in order to accommodate his busy schedule), swerve into oncoming traffic, pass us at insane speeds, and then slam on his brakes when he passed us. our bus driver had the foresight to assume that the idiot would do something idiotic like this, and she was already slowing down and avoided an accident.

he then proceeded to do 25 mph all the way up the hill, over the hill, past the hare krishna temple, and down almost into salem. when the bus signalled to turn right and make a stop, he started signalling and slowing down too, like he was going to stop and get out. but finally he gave up and drove off.

i was really hoping he would get out and try to board the bus, because i was by that time up right behind the driver, waiting to kick him in the head with my size 10.5 combat boots.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 AM

498 posts, read 1,307,714 times
You guys are funny. This is what happens when a bunch of people who all think they're the best drivers in the world (though they're mediocre to average at best) live around people they're determined to hate, and are determined to find or formulate anything against those people in their endless attempt at putting them in a negative light. Let's face it, good drivers don't need to stop in the middle of a lane, signal, and wait while everyone conforms to them so they can be in the lane they want to be in. Maybe that's how it works in LA, but since the traffic there is so terrible anyway, it's not like anyone has anything to lose. Perhaps I just don't paint "Utah drivers" out to be particularly bad because I'm not the type of person who uses turn signals to get from point A to point B. If you want to get into a lane, find a space, then get into it. The turn signal should just be a courtesy, not a means of requesting someone get out of your way, or your primary method of navigation. Who knows, maybe I just cut people off all the time without realizing it, because Utah drivers are so nice, they never get mad at me.

As always, these threads neglect logic in their reasoning. You might as well just call it mass hysteria, because all of these sentiments are just biased opinions, feeding off of each other. Why not just accuse us of witchcraft?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

4,347 posts, read 8,650,048 times
There are so many threads about "bad drivers in Utah". I would just like to state....there are bad drivers everywhere. I lived in California....some bad drivers, Utah for 27 years...some bad drivers and now Oklahoma...some bad drivers, not as bad as other places, but I have had my share in the two years I have lived here. With that, there are also very good drivers....which is what the majority are.

I think we need to realize we have all probably been a "bad or insconsiderate" driver ourselves, but yet we justify it because we felt we were in the right in the given situation.

Also, I think around the holiday season you will see more inconsiderate drivers as everyone is busy racing to get things done. Try to be patient

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 AM

360 posts, read 1,045,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I think we need to realize we have all probably been a "bad or insconsiderate" driver ourselves, but yet we justify it because we felt we were in the right in the given situation.

Try to be patient
As a pedestrian that has to deal with these "inconsiderate drivers", it is not simply a matter of being patient. It is life vs. death. In downtown SLC, I have had numerous, no make that, daily pedestrian vs. vehicle encounters with rude, obnoxious drivers that only have one thing on their mind, their own schedules.

BTW, every driver that errs, no matter how insignificant it appears believes they are right and the pedestrian (almost nearly being runned down in a crosswalk or on the sidewalk) is at fault. It is truly sad when people run a red light to make a right hand turn and fail to realize there is a crosswalk there that has a walk sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah