Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Force doesn't require violence. Force as in demanding a price point unreachable without overseas labor. Wal-Mart is directly encouraging unsafe and inhumane labor practices in foreign countries.

And this board is as much for personal opinions as anything else.
As Belle said I want to keep this on topic but just for clarification without debating the merits, you need to look at the roots of many of the issues. What you now call "force" can be traced back to the thousands of laws passed over the years that force business to comply and in turn add cost. Everything from minimum wages, unions, taxes, regulations, etc. all add to cost (to the consumer mostly). All of those things are actual force since they have the full backing of law enforcement to make sure that people comply.

Hanes has the option to not try and please Wal-Mart, sure it may hurt them but it is still an option.

As far as stores go, my wife likes Smith's the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
I'm not too familiar with Ogden, but dining in SLC is awesome! I eat out pretty much every night, I refuse to go to chain restaurants, and I haven't eaten at the same place in a month. There are dozens and dozens of locally owned, small restaurants in SLC and the rest of Salt Lake County!
I don't get to SLC a lot, and maybe when I do I just don't know where to go. I spend most of my time in Davis and Weber county, so I could be mistaken about the abundance of local restaurants around, though it does seem that alot of people in and around SLC complain about the same thing, so maybe you could give us some examples??

Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 AM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Oh man.... there are a lot. Here are a few non-chains:
Cafe Madrid
Martine
Em's
Pago
Eva
Robin's Nest
Bambara (not locally owned, but not a chain)
Trio
Molise
Faustina
Tipica
Fresco
Log Haven
Lugano
One World
Metropolitan
Squatters
Red Rock
Poplar Street
Takashi
Ginza
Pagoda
Wild Grape
Acme Burger
Oasis
Dodo
Rio Grande Cafe
Al Forno's
Paris Bistro
Michelangelo's
Fratelli
Rico Cafe
Cap.uto's Deli (the board is censoring the "p u t o" when it's strung together correctly)
Red Iguana
Vertical Diner
Sage's Cafe
Les Madeleine's
Ruth's
Mazza (two locations, but locally owned)
Red Butte Cafe
Desert Edge
Market Street (more than one location, but local)
Shogun
The Roof
Garden Cafe
Bayou
Aristo's
Sawadee
Thai Siam
Chanon
Forage
Shambala
Himalayan Kitchen
Cedars of Lebanon
Vienna Bistro
Siegfried's
Epic
Ganesh
Blue Plate
Tuscany
La Caille
Blue Iguana
Hong Kong Tea House
Settebello
Cucina Deli
Cucina Toscana
Cafe Trang
Crown Burgers (again, more than one, but local)
Star of India
Little World
Sampan
Bombay House
Curry in a Hurry
The Other Place
New Yorker
Lone Star Taqueria
Kyoto
Stoneground
Tandoor
The Pie (two locations, local)
Su Casa (two locations, local)
Lamb's
Soup Kitchen
Sugar House BBQ
Pat's BBQ
Q4U
Este
Thai Garden
Hires (local!)
Franck's
Fiddler's Elbow
Salt Lake Pizza & Pasta

Anyway, that's just off the top of my head. You get the idea. Really, look in the phone book under "restaurants" and most are not chains.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
From that list I'd say you are eating mighty well. I have GOT to get to Pat's Barbecue. I hear he has the best bbq brisket around. Pago is also very fine. Yeah, you covered a heck of a lot. Geez, I could just go down that list and eat at each one till I'm done and it would take quite a while

Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Grove's Market...yummo!!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 17,813 times
Default To add a bit..

To add to the Op's questions: I'm in a similar situation, only from further south. Southern Louisiana in fact. I must say, there are not many things down here that my Fiance' and I like, but Culture, Food, Music, and Community events are all great things that Lafayette, LA provides. Can anyone comment on those things specifically. I like the idea of helping to revitalize a city, so even though Ogden may be lacking in any of these areas, thats doesn't necessarily scare us away. We've actually discussed opening up a small eatery with some Cajun flare if we did indeed end up in Northern Utah. Also, what would you guys say the population is in Ogden, with the metro area included?

Thanks Guys

Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNewB View Post
To add to the Op's questions: I'm in a similar situation, only from further south. Southern Louisiana in fact. I must say, there are not many things down here that my Fiance' and I like, but Culture, Food, Music, and Community events are all great things that Lafayette, LA provides. Can anyone comment on those things specifically. I like the idea of helping to revitalize a city, so even though Ogden may be lacking in any of these areas, thats doesn't necessarily scare us away. We've actually discussed opening up a small eatery with some Cajun flare if we did indeed end up in Northern Utah. Also, what would you guys say the population is in Ogden, with the metro area included?

Thanks Guys
We should talk about that sometime as we have been talking about opening a restuarant too. Ogden is very diverse in the people that make up the city, but I think it's lacking when it comes to food and music. There are quite a few events that are family focused. Just since Thanksgiving, there has been the Santa Run and the opening of the Christmas Village. The Nature Center had a holiday open house last weekend with arts and crafts for the kids to do. When we got here in September, we checked out the Farmer's Market which had tons of great food to eat and buy plus some decent music. The Solomon Center has indoor skydiving, rock climbing and surfing and a giant arcade for the kids. It's right next to the new Megaplex theater which I was recently able to enjoy. The City, I think is offering a lot of incentives to get businesses to open up shop there and for residents to rennovate the historic homes that have become run down. The best thing I think you can do is rent for awhile until you decide which areas suit your preferences and needs. For me, I was really turned off by the suburbs, but I would be turned off by them no matter where we were at. I either want to be in the country, up in the mountains and very rural, or I want to be in the city right in the middle of it. Definitely go check of the city of Ogden's website to see what's out there. www.ogdencity.com . Also one of the posters on here has a blog called Ogden Insights which has a lot of real estate info, but also features tours of some of the historic buildings in Ogden, and what there is to do there.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

20 posts, read 109,241 times
Mark,

You remind me of Eeyor in the Wynnie the Pooh Stories.

Restaraunts worthwhile to eat at in Ogden:

Rooster's
Union Grill
Santa Monica Pizza
Bistro 256
The Athenian
University Bar and Grill
Iggy's
Sanora Grill
The Prairie Schooner
The Timbermine
Rainbow Gardens

AND MORE!!!

My gosh Mark have you not eaten at these places? If the cup is 1/3rd full you see it as 2/3rds empty. What a depressing world view.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
Mark,

You remind me of Eeyor in the Wynnie the Pooh Stories.

Restaraunts worthwhile to eat at in Ogden:

Rooster's
Union Grill
Santa Monica Pizza
Bistro 256
The Athenian
University Bar and Grill
Iggy's
Sanora Grill
The Prairie Schooner
The Timbermine
Rainbow Gardens

AND MORE!!!

My gosh Mark have you not eaten at these places? If the cup is 1/3rd full you see it as 2/3rds empty. What a depressing world view.
I would also add Ventana's to this list. Just ate there for the first time last night and it was great mexican food. They also have a pretty impressive bakery in there.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:11 AM

20 posts, read 109,241 times
Not to mention that Ventana's is cheap! Yum Yum. Ate lunch there on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah