Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're looking into it rather than NV to relocate. Any help deciding? I think it would be better than SLC, yet still in the metro area. Any advice is appreciated.

A concern would be air quality too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I'll probably get smacked down for saying this, but having been there so many times over the last 5 years my impression is..........if you are a redneck, cowboy or blue collar pickup truck mentality you'll love it there. The bastion there that isn't that way would be the area closer to the lake called Stansbury, a completely different mindset and lifestyle. Just my impressions of the area and the folks there. Oh well....now I put my flame suit on so I'm ready

Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
You should be ready, Dcisive...

I live in Stansbury and it IS a totally different beast than Tooele or Grantsville. I really can't explain the difference though. Many people live in Tooele and Grantsville and love it there too. I am VERY happy where I am and never want to leave.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
<<<snipped>>>.....if you are a redneck, cowboy or blue collar pickup truck mentality you'll love it there. The bastion there that isn't that way would be the area closer to the lake called Stansbury, a completely different mindset and lifestyle. Just my impressions of the area and the folks there. Oh well....now I put my flame suit on so I'm ready
OK, you asked for it .....

I am not (a redneck, cowboy or blue collar pickup truck mentality),
coming from a different landmass altogether,
but the people I have met there are the nicest ones yet
(for a small town, that is.., I have met some really strange ones in other small towns ...).

I think Stansbury has a different kind of people, because it was *created* in a different timeframe,
and almost all at once, unlike Toeele, which grew slowly over a long time.

The Stansbury crowd, (I think) just wanted to get away from the *big City*, and
they found it *right there*, 30 miles out, which is nothing today, compared to 50 years ago.

I have a strange observation though ...
*Them thar Cityfolks with their suits and ties on weekdays .....
become like those who you describe in Toeele*
on week ends ....*

The people in Toeele have Off Road trucks, because they drive a lot *Off the Road...*
The people in the big cities, drive *Off the Road* only when they put their Off Road in the garage .....

No flaming .... just an observation which makes me smile and love the life here in Utah !!! Anywhere in Utah !!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
Pro - housing is inexpensive (I would almost say "cheap" compared to Salt Lake)
Con - can take 40+ minutes to get to Salt Lake.
Con - there isn't that much to do

Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Pro-the hustle, bustle of the city isn't there and I can count almost every star in the sky on a warm summer night. *THAT* is worth a million bucks to me!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Pro- it's cheap, doesn't have the inversions that SL does.

Cons- It's far away, high propery crime, high porportion of crazy people (literally) , surrounded by toxic waste (burning nerve gas 20 miles south, burying low level nuclear waste 30 miles NW, Magcorp (the official worst polluter in the country) about the same distance away, high mercury levels, pollution from old mines and the smelter. Stockton (5 miles south) was superfund clean up site.

I lived there for 6 years and don't miss it. Sorry to those who like it.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Pro- it's cheap, doesn't have the inversions that SL does.

Cons- It's far away, high propery crime, high porportion of crazy people (literally) , surrounded by toxic waste (burning nerve gas 20 miles south, burying low level nuclear waste 30 miles NW, Magcorp (the official worst polluter in the country) about the same distance away, high mercury levels, pollution from old mines and the smelter. Stockton (5 miles south) was superfund clean up site.

I lived there for 6 years and don't miss it. Sorry to those who like it.
Far away is a bit subjective and I think that Utah itself has a high proportion of crazy people, but hey, to each their own, right??

Besides, I moved from NJ-can't get much more whack than that.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Lets just say Tooele isn't in the nicest part of Utah. Its located in the desert west of Salt Lake City where the Great Basin begins. Its not far from Salt Lake City, but its not close either. As another poster pointed out, its close to a smelter, and other toxic materials. I personally am not one to get too excited over the presence of that kind of stuff. I've seen very little statistical proof that it affects the health of people in nearby communities. I oppose bringing nuclear waste to Utah more because of the stigma it creates than because of health risks.

Main Street in Tooele gives you a pretty good feel for the community. You'll find the usual assortment of McDonalds, Walmart, Pizza Hut, convenience stores, and tire shops that you'll find in so many American towns and cities. It looks to me like very little planning was done when the city began growing fifteen years ago. There is very little that looks original or unique in the community. Trees and shrubs do not grow naturally here and that is apparent when you look around.

I think it really depends on how much you want to spend on a house and what you are looking for. If you want an affordable house in a largely blue collar area that is not pretty or scenic than Tooele may be for you. If you want to be surrounded by trees and water and not be on a street with a bunch of cheap homes and you need the life of a big city than don't move to Tooele. I can say that I'd rather live in Tooele than in Magna (a western suburb of Salt Lake) but if you have been to Magna that doesn't say much.

I don't see alot of recreational opportunities there. You aren't close to the ski areas. One trip to bathe in the waters of the Great Salt Lake is enough. I suppose its a little closer to Wendover if you want to drive out there and gamble. I do believe there is a substantial non-LDS population in Tooele if that factor means anything to you.

Its not my cup of tea, but I believe in different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'll probably get smacked down for saying this, but having been there so many times over the last 5 years my impression is..........if you are a redneck, cowboy or blue collar pickup truck mentality you'll love it there. The bastion there that isn't that way would be the area closer to the lake called Stansbury, a completely different mindset and lifestyle. Just my impressions of the area and the folks there. Oh well....now I put my flame suit on so I'm ready
Yea, I gotta tell you...my wife and I went over there once years ago, and DID NOT like it. Just a weird vibe, and I didn't like the people I met. Night and day from SLC on many different levels. We had originally gone out to look at a home, because the price was alluring...and when we go there we understood why it was so cheap. I remember telling my friend who was a Realtor that we had gone out there and she said "Friends don't let friends live in Tooele." lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah