Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,373 times

Advertisements

Hello--my family and I are going to move to SLC in a couple of months, and we're looking at homes for sale. I'm attracted to new construction (1990s and later), and love some homes I see listed in the 84104 area of Salt Lake City, and also 84119 of West Valley City. They have the features I like, within our price range (not much more than $225,000). They are within 10 miles of my husband's new workplace, which is near Temple Square.

My question: what kind of areas are these? All I know is that they are *West* --some people don't find the west side favorable, others say some areas are okay. Can anyone give me details about these two areas? Crime and such?

Thanks,
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
I've seen those houses. Basically, what you have are some streets of nice houses surrounded by some really run-down areas. You will see lots of people wandering around with grocery carts etc. I don't live there, so if you are still interested go around those neighborhoods and decide for yourself. I think the areas will improve, but I don't know how fast or to what level.

Check out 84128. It's a bit farther west, but it is all new houses surrounded by mainly agricultural areas. There are some old houses on the horse properties, but not the "blight" of entire run-down neighborhoods. You can probably still find some under 225k, but prices rose a lot in the last year.

There is an express bus that runs straight downtown and drops off right around temple square. I took it quite a bit in the summer. I would catch it at 7:15 and it would take about 30-35 minutes. Driving takes about 25 minutes.

You could go farther west to Tooele. It would be a long drive -- 30 miles or so, but with very little traffic. Also, the drive from up north is really bad, but it will improve as they are building a commuter rail and new highway if you can wait another couple of years. But for a good commute downtown, I think 84128 is a hidden gem. Relatively affordable new houses with few traffic backups.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,373 times
Coolcats, thank you so much for taking the time to give me a thoughtful answer like that! It's very helpful, thanks!

Jennifer

Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM

56 posts, read 254,104 times
Hour11-

I think CoolCats is right on with 84128. One other thing about 84119 and 84104... you have to be careful because they can be in the flight path of the airport. I think they have been working to change that, but especially 84104 may have some issues. Just be sure to keep it in mind as you are looking.

One other thing to keep in mind that "got" my wife and I when we were moving here... when they are quoting square footage for a house, it often includes the basement. That is a little different from where I came from. So my 2400 square foot house in the 84108 area would really be a 1200 square foot house in the rest of the world.

Finally, if you decide you can forgo the 1990+ house and go for something a little older, you will have a number of other options. The area around 84105 is a mix of nice and not so nice houses that were built in the 50's-60's. That being said, the area is starting to be fixed up and it may be a place where you can still find some value, be close to where your husband will work, and get a pretty nice house. It will be much more urban than 84128 but it depends on what you like.

I hope you find the perfect house!!

-askslc

Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 AM

222 posts, read 877,571 times
Default 84119

I live in the 84119 zip. It is a really broad area. It is West Valley. There are some older areas and some newer areas. He would have several options as far as getting to work. There is Bangeter Hwy and I-215. There aren't any people with shopping carts walking around my neighborhood.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,166 times
84119 Has a lot of homes built around the 1960's. It is OK but as a father, I would not put my children in that school district. Many of the homes are bi-levels and ramblers, but there are some newer pockets of develpments in the area. It is good proximity to a downtown commute and there is plenty of amenities nearby.

84104 Mostly pre-war (1920'-1930's) bungalows and arts and crafts homes. This area was really the orginal suburb of Salt Lake City. Some of the homes in the area are being updated and refurbished, but most of them have renters and are falling into disrepair. Crime in this area is fairly high, I would avoid it.

84128 Farther west. Mostly built in the late 60's, through the 70's, early 80's, but again with newer pocket developments. A lot of rambler/ranch style and bi-level homes. I don't know where the exact boundries are, but they did build a new high school in the area about 10 years ago, but probably not the best choice if you have children.

Generally speaking, stay east and if you can afford it, south. The schools are a bit better, and if your husband works downtown, he should have an easy commute. The new Trax is very efficient (relative to mass transit in the west), so you should be able to expand your search to a large portion of the valley. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:23 PM

222 posts, read 877,571 times
Default me again

I would only take advise from those that have actually lived in any of the above named zip codes. A lot of people have preconceived ideas of West Valley )84119, I was one of them since I grew up in Sandy and all we heard about was how bad it was in West Valley, Kearns, and Magna but I have lived here a while and have really enjoyed it. Our area is as safe or safer than the area my parents and in-laws live in Sandy. There is good and bad in any area. It is not perfect but I think for the second largest city in Utah they do a pretty good job. It is a very diverse area so if you are not culturally minded (I don't know a nicer way to say it, sorry) then it might not be the area for you. As far as the Granite school district. I have really liked it. My daughter has had great teachers and smaller classes than those at the school my mom works at in Sandy. Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

I am aware that a "nice area" is realative. We may certainly have different opinions on what areas are liveable, and that's ok. I am just giving my opinions. Be cautious however in suggesting that someone else may not know about the areas. I have made a rather comfortable living advising people on precisely this sort of decision, and I am offering that information, though somewhat subjective.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I would only take advise from those that have actually lived in any of the above named zip codes. A lot of people have preconceived ideas of West Valley )84119, I was one of them since I grew up in Sandy and all we heard about was how bad it was in West Valley, Kearns, and Magna but I have lived here a while and have really enjoyed it. Our area is as safe or safer than the area my parents and in-laws live in Sandy. There is good and bad in any area. It is not perfect but I think for the second largest city in Utah they do a pretty good job. It is a very diverse area so if you are not culturally minded (I don't know a nicer way to say it, sorry) then it might not be the area for you. As far as the Granite school district. I have really liked it. My daughter has had great teachers and smaller classes than those at the school my mom works at in Sandy. Hope this helps.
I totally agree. I live in 84128. Most of the homes have been built within the last 10 years. Most of the older homes were standalone horse properties that have been developed around by the newer houses. They also built a brand-new elementary out this way. It's a beautiful facility. My kids aren't there yet, so I can't comment on the teaching quality.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I totally agree. I live in 84128. Most of the homes have been built within the last 10 years. Most of the older homes were standalone horse properties that have been developed around by the newer houses. They also built a brand-new elementary out this way. It's a beautiful facility. My kids aren't there yet, so I can't comment on the teaching quality.
You are right, there is a lot of new building there. But for under $225,000, the original poster is not going to get a brand new home. I'm sure people who live in Brentwood think LA is a great place to live, everybody can't afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah