U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM

911 posts, read 2,040,789 times

Advertisements

You can skip down to the last paragraph if you don't wanna hear the whole dang story. LoL

me and my husband and kids had recently moved to NY from WI for a job. we were met with all kinds of issues regarding homeschooling and vaccination due to NY state law. we basically had to bounce right back to WI within a year because of legal issues that we weren't expecting, that were not issues in WI. however WI is not ideally where we'd like to be, which is why we moved in the first place. we only came back here because we already had connections and a job waiting.

SO NOW, we've educated ourselves on the state-to-state homeschooling and vaccination laws, and have made a list of states that qualify for us. Utah made the list. so, i've some questions for you Utah ppl :-)

here's our list of some of the things we'd like in our community.

We are a large Catholic family, do you guys know of a Latin Mass in the area?
We're conservative in some ways, more liberal in others.
My husband works in IT, and is preparing to start his own business.
I stay at home and home school the kids, so we'll need some things to learn and do around town, children's activities.
I'd like nice grocery stores, and decent shopping.
A zoo within an hour would be excellent.
We love history, a historical community is ideal.
We do not want to live near a missile base or a place with excessive military presence.
The lower the violent crime rate, the better.
A children's theater would be great.
We like accessibility, good hospitals, etc.. but not alot of nightlife and party atmosphere.
We love to hike and ride bikes.
Snow doesn't scare us, but excessive heat may.
We'd like to be within 30-40 minutes of a city of at least 50k people.
Good middle and high schools are important, as i only home school to 7th grade.

any ideas? i realize that nowhere's perfect, but the closer the better!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM

780 posts, read 1,265,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
You can skip down to the last paragraph if you don't wanna hear the whole dang story. LoL

me and my husband and kids had recently moved to NY from WI for a job. we were met with all kinds of issues regarding homeschooling and vaccination due to NY state law. we basically had to bounce right back to WI within a year because of legal issues that we weren't expecting, that were not issues in WI. however WI is not ideally where we'd like to be, which is why we moved in the first place. we only came back here because we already had connections and a job waiting.

SO NOW, we've educated ourselves on the state-to-state homeschooling and vaccination laws, and have made a list of states that qualify for us. Utah made the list. so, i've some questions for you Utah ppl :-)

here's our list of some of the things we'd like in our community.

I stay at home and home school the kids, so we'll need some things to learn and do around town, children's activities.
We do not want to live near a missile base or a place with excessive military presence.
We like accessibility, good hospitals, etc.. but not alot of nightlife and party atmosphere.
Good middle and high schools are important, as i only home school to 7th grade.

any ideas? i realize that nowhere's perfect, but the closer the better!

Thanks!

I don't live in UT, but I used to live an hour from it for almost 25 yrs. Not sure Utah would really fulfill most of your list thought.

Once you get outside of the Salt Lake/Ogden/Provo area, there isn't a city with 50k people, and those areas are about 90% conservative ( which increases dramatically the more rural and the more south of Salt Lake you go--Utah is the most conservative state in the nation ), and can get over 100 several times during the summer; however expect about 60 in of snow during the winter.

Hill AFB is just outside Ogden, so there is a lot of military presence there, but there are a lot of places to hike in the summer around there ( as well as southern Utah if you want to hike in the desert. )

Don't really recall much of anything else ( but they do have Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake ) and the crime around there is about the same as a city with about 1.1 million folks, but not sure if Utah would be one of the top 9 states with the stats you're looking for...

Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM

thanks for the input, i'll keep these things in mind :-)

Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM

835 posts, read 1,994,395 times
What are you referring to when you mention vaccinations?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM

I generally don't elaborate on that online, because no matter what my views are, it'd surely spark a debate. ;-)

Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 AM

28 posts, read 65,344 times
Default Re: Utah was one of the 9

I'm on these boards because my family and I may be relocating OUT of Utah. I hope someone will help me when I post my questions to the Pennsylvania board, so I will do my part by trying to help out with what I know here. Something tells me Utah is not going to come out on top in your contest of 9, but I hope this info helps!

I can think of three areas of Utah that come closest to what you are looking for: Salt Lake City, Park City, and Logan. Ogden would be in the running, except for the military presence (air force base) you find undesirable.

Salt Lake City, as I'm sure you know, is the capitol city of over a million people. The neighborhoods you would probably like the best are Marmalade District/Capitol Hill, Sugarhouse, and the Avenues. Park City is known as "in Utah, but not of Utah" (as far as not being as Mormon-y as the rest of the state). Park City proper probably doesn't have more than 10,000 residents, but has a larger seasonal tourist population. It is not much more than a half hour from Salt Lake City. Logan is an agricultural/college town about an hour and a half north of Salt Lake City. Logan itself is a town of almost 50,000; the "Cache Valley" area, in which it is the major city, has about 100,000 residents.

I have not particularly heard if a Latin Mass is offered anywhere in Utah (except probably on holidays). There is a decent-sized Catholic population in Salt Lake City, and a variable-sized one in Park City, depending on the season.

The state as a whole leans very conservative, but Salt Lake City and Park City are more liberal.

Utah has a decent IT industry, and lots of entrepreneurs.

Homeschooling is pretty big here. Big families are big here. There are lots of things to do with kids. Salt Lake City and Logan cater to kids a little more than Park City, but Park City is very close to Salt Lake.

Park City and Salt Lake City have nice grocery stores and shopping. Logan, less so, but still okay-ish.

Salt Lake City has Hogle Zoo. It's not the best zoo ever, but it has been making lots of nice improvements over the years. Logan has a small zoo (Willow Park Zoo) operated by Logan City. It is free, with a $1 donation strongly suggested (a donation box by the entrance). This zoo is NOTHING like a big zoo in a major city, but kids still like it and it is fun to be able to go anytime, and not break the bank. Park City does not have a zoo, but is within a half hour of Hogle Zoo.

Salt Lake City is rich in history - if you like Mormon/pioneer history! ;-) Probably not your bag, but it's interesting in its own way. Park City was not founded by the Mormons; it is an old mining town with that sort of history. Logan I wouldn't classify as a historical community. Just the same Mormon stuff as every community in Utah.

There is a testing ground far west of Salt Lake City, and the air force base (a smallish one) in Ogden. I would not call the military presence excessive anywhere.

Crime in Utah in general is very low; violent crime especially low. Logan has EXTREMELY low crime. I think it is supposedly the "safest city in the nation".

Salt Lake has a children's theater, and Park City and Logan both have children's theater programs. I think just about every kid in Utah is in music/dance/performing lessons of some kind. It's just that kind of place.

This describes Utah, pretty much.

These activities are HUGE in Utah. Lots of bike trails and hiking trails.

Utah definitely has a four-season climate. Logan, and especially Park City, are less hot in the summer than Salt Lake City (and colder/snowier in the winter).

Answered above.

Good middle and high schools are important, as I only home school to 7th grade.

Utah has rather low per-pupil spending, but still has good schools with successful students, probably due to parent involvement. There are some good private schools in Salt Lake City, including Judge Memorial, a Catholic high school.

Hope this helps! For what it's worth, I have heard of lots of people here who choose not to vaccinate their kids, for whatever reason. Let me know if you have any specific questions about anything I've written.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,498,797 times
The Cathedral of the Madeleine is in SLC (Roman Catholic) and they have a girls' school attached to it. Judge Memorial, a Catholic high school, is considered one of the best in SLC; they accept both boys and girls.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

thanks for all the great info guys! Utah doesn't sound half bad! it'd actually be kinda nice to live where big families are the norm and there's not a lot of crime :-) thanks for all the great information, Venusv, and i'm glad to know about the schools Belle, i'm going to do a search on them.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM

602 posts, read 1,808,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusv View Post
I'm on these boards because my family and I may be relocating OUT of Utah. I hope someone will help me when I post my questions to the Pennsylvania board, so I will do my part by trying to help out with what I know here. Something tells me Utah is not going to come out on top in your contest of 9, but I hope this info helps!

I can think of three areas of Utah that come closest to what you are looking for: Salt Lake City, Park City, and Logan. Ogden would be in the running, except for the military presence (air force base) you find undesirable.

Salt Lake City, as I'm sure you know, is the capitol city of over a million people. The neighborhoods you would probably like the best are Marmalade District/Capitol Hill, Sugarhouse, and the Avenues. Park City is known as "in Utah, but not of Utah" (as far as not being as Mormon-y as the rest of the state). Park City proper probably doesn't have more than 10,000 residents, but has a larger seasonal tourist population. It is not much more than a half hour from Salt Lake City. Logan is an agricultural/college town about an hour and a half north of Salt Lake City. Logan itself is a town of almost 50,000; the "Cache Valley" area, in which it is the major city, has about 100,000 residents.

I have not particularly heard if a Latin Mass is offered anywhere in Utah (except probably on holidays). There is a decent-sized Catholic population in Salt Lake City, and a variable-sized one in Park City, depending on the season.

The state as a whole leans very conservative, but Salt Lake City and Park City are more liberal.

Utah has a decent IT industry, and lots of entrepreneurs.

Homeschooling is pretty big here. Big families are big here. There are lots of things to do with kids. Salt Lake City and Logan cater to kids a little more than Park City, but Park City is very close to Salt Lake.

Park City and Salt Lake City have nice grocery stores and shopping. Logan, less so, but still okay-ish.

Salt Lake City has Hogle Zoo. It's not the best zoo ever, but it has been making lots of nice improvements over the years. Logan has a small zoo (Willow Park Zoo) operated by Logan City. It is free, with a $1 donation strongly suggested (a donation box by the entrance). This zoo is NOTHING like a big zoo in a major city, but kids still like it and it is fun to be able to go anytime, and not break the bank. Park City does not have a zoo, but is within a half hour of Hogle Zoo.

Salt Lake City is rich in history - if you like Mormon/pioneer history! ;-) Probably not your bag, but it's interesting in its own way. Park City was not founded by the Mormons; it is an old mining town with that sort of history. Logan I wouldn't classify as a historical community. Just the same Mormon stuff as every community in Utah.

There is a testing ground far west of Salt Lake City, and the air force base (a smallish one) in Ogden. I would not call the military presence excessive anywhere.

Crime in Utah in general is very low; violent crime especially low. Logan has EXTREMELY low crime. I think it is supposedly the "safest city in the nation".

Salt Lake has a children's theater, and Park City and Logan both have children's theater programs. I think just about every kid in Utah is in music/dance/performing lessons of some kind. It's just that kind of place.

This describes Utah, pretty much.

These activities are HUGE in Utah. Lots of bike trails and hiking trails.

Utah definitely has a four-season climate. Logan, and especially Park City, are less hot in the summer than Salt Lake City (and colder/snowier in the winter).

Answered above.

Good middle and high schools are important, as I only home school to 7th grade.

Utah has rather low per-pupil spending, but still has good schools with successful students, probably due to parent involvement. There are some good private schools in Salt Lake City, including Judge Memorial, a Catholic high school.

Hope this helps! For what it's worth, I have heard of lots of people here who choose not to vaccinate their kids, for whatever reason. Let me know if you have any specific questions about anything I've written.
The only thing I would disagree with you on is that Hill AFB is a pretty big base. It employs over 25,000 people. That being said, I don't find the "military presence" overwhelming...

I think there are parts of Ogden the OP would like. It's a very historic area and 25th street still has all the old brick buildings, and St. Joeseph's Catholic Church and School is there, though I don't know if they have catholic school all the way up to High School. Logan and Park City are also nice choices, but Park City is rather expensive so that would be something to take into account. My boyfriend drives to Logan 6 days a week. It has a small town feel, and people are nice. It has a very rural feel, but the city is expanding. It is also the home of Utah State University, so the university brings along a little diversity. You would be a couple hours away from Salt Lake City, and that is the only draw back I see for you with Logan

Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM

28 posts, read 65,344 times
Yes, I agree the OP might like Ogden quite a bit, or even up the canyon towards Mountain Green/Morgan, etc. (less hot in the summer). However, I left it off my post because 'military presence" was noted as a drawback.

Yeah, I guess HAFB isn't "small". I didn't realize the base employed quite that many people, but I still don't think of the North Davis County/South Weber County area as a "military town". Besides the jet flyovers, I didn't ever notice it much at all (but I grew up in South Davis County, and now live in Logan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah