Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMM View Post
Is Utah a friendly place to live. Are the people their warm and inviting?
The people are extremely friendly, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
How do you behave like one? It would usually come up when they find out we moved from out of state.

I had some people mention something about an activity (obviously LDS) but they didn't ask outright. I just don't see why that is so revolting to some of you.
Uhmmm ...
Maybe I should have stated *act like one*

If I was non LDS, and I saw you:
not smoke, not drink, pack up your whole family each Sunday morning to go somewhere with a suit and tie .....
Oh well ... whatever .....

I did not understand your last sentence.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ...
Maybe I should have stated *act like one*

If I was non LDS, and I saw you:
not smoke, not drink, pack up your whole family each Sunday morning to go somewhere with a suit and tie .....
Oh well ... whatever .....

I did not understand your last sentence.
Do I stagger around hold a beer while shouting obscenities? No. I drink wine indoors. When I am at the park with the kids and I chat with people, they have no clue what I do in my house or on Sunday, yet no one asks me if I am LDS.

My last sentence was about how I have had conversations with people who don't ask out right about religion but they mention something about what their ward did or when they were on their mission. It seems some of you may find those types of conversations revolting, if they do, you are right Utah is not the place for you.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,586 times
As much as I love living here in Utah now....I really do miss the friendly people of Oklahoma and Kansas. It took awhile to adjust but I would hate to leave here now though-but that was 17 years in the making.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
People are friendly in Utah.
When I lived in Utah, (10 years ago) I was asked VERY often if I was LDS. I worked at a hotel and people from out of town were facinated with asking that question. I was also asked by co-workers and by neighbors when I bought my first house. I am non-LDS so when I was first asked which "Ward" I belonged to, I had no idea what that meant. This is how most LDS people ask. Non LDS just straight out ask.

~K~

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Think I'm with Kandy. It's a different kind of friendly out here. If you are used to the South, especially Oklahoma or Texas it's not the same. I have however, met many wonderful people since I've been here (about 6 months)

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I am non-LDS so when I was first asked which "Ward" I belonged to, I had no idea what that meant. This is how most LDS people ask. Non LDS just straight out ask.
You know, I'm LDS and it just bugs me to death when I hear people ask someone what ward he's in, when they don't even know if he's LDS or not. Seriously, it's really a pet peeve of mine. And when I meet someone new here in Utah, I go to great lengths not to give them any kind of a clue as to what religion I am. If people come right out and ask, I tell them, but I have had people drop all kinds of hints to find out whether I'm LDS or not. I just keep 'em guessing. It drives them crazy.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I'm LDS and it just bugs me to death when I hear people ask someone what ward he's in, when they don't even know if he's LDS or not. Seriously, it's really a pet peeve of mine. And when I meet someone new here in Utah, I go to great lengths not to give them any kind of a clue as to what religion I am. If people come right out and ask, I tell them, but I have had people drop all kinds of hints to find out whether I'm LDS or not. I just keep 'em guessing. It drives them crazy.
What is your favorite wine, coffee or tea?

:-)

Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What is your favorite wine, coffee or tea?

:-)
I hate coffee and tea, but I love wine! That's the truth. Now if you didn't already know I'm LDS, would I have you totally confused?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hate coffee and tea, but I love wine! That's the truth. Now if you didn't already know I'm LDS, would I have you totally confused?
You like wine and Catholic mass, huh Katz? Really confuzzle them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah