Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,509 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Utah, I have looked at Summit county because I want to live in an area that I can see high mountains, and be in a higher elevation, I love the cold weather and snow! can anyone provide any opinions on where the best place to buy "cheaper" land? I do not need access to schools, or work because I am a disabled Veteran, so all I am looking for is some land to build a small cabin on. Of course I would need access to grocery store etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Last edited by naphtali5725; 03-12-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You also need power and water rights to the land. Or else go very basic. Afraid I can't help you other than to point these 2 factors out.

People might be able to give you better info if you give a price range for the land and how much you want, like 2 acres, or 10 acres, or whatever.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You also need power and water rights to the land. Or else go very basic. Afraid I can't help you other than to point these 2 factors out.

People might be able to give you better info if you give a price range for the land and how much you want, like 2 acres, or 10 acres, or whatever.
what do i need to look out for as far as water rights, is that something that is required to drill a well on the property?
I am interested in the 20-40 acre range but will consider anything from 10-40 acres

Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM

As far as I know, you need wtaer rights to drill a well. Some land is in the watershed for towns and can't be drilled, I think. Then you need electricity for the pump unless you get diesel or propane or whatever, which then has to be delivered.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 PM

well I wouldn't want to be so far out that there wasn't power, or perhaps I can do solar. I assume the person/agency would have to provide the info of whether or not the land had water right associated with it. propane would be fine.

how readily available is wood for heat? is that something that is pretty expensive there, and is land with trees hard to come by?

I would hope to not have to shell out more than 20,000 for land.

kind regards,

Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
As far as I know, you need wtaer rights to drill a well. Some land is in the watershed for towns and can't be drilled, I think. Then you need electricity for the pump unless you get diesel or propane or whatever, which then has to be delivered.
How the heck do you know all of this stuff?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How the heck do you know all of this stuff?
From when I was temp mod for AZ. There were a lot of questions from eastern "city" folks who romanticized the West and wanted to be out away from everyone.

Until they realized that meant maye $50K to bring power from the road to their house, more if they wanted a landline since cells don't work "way out there", children got picked up by the schoolbus at the highway not the house, and getting water rights was tricky and very expensive to drill. In one area it was so far down that drilling was estimated to be about $25K, pluis the cost of the pump and the pipes.

But I also know about water rights from reading the SLTrib and having a friend with a cabin at the top of Alta - they have grandfathered water rights but no one can build any more cabins up there b/c of the water (maybe 7 now?). They have to pack out all garbage.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 PM

To the OP: I really know nothing about land costs and wood up there, sorry.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM

i'm not an eastern city folk at all, backwoods mountain boy is more like it, if the water rights are such an issue there, then it's not much worth even contemplating it, here in the mountains of NC, a 350 foot well is around 7K, septic about 3K

why the hell would land not come with the right to drill for water on it, stupid if you ask me

Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Because we live in a high desert and the watershed provides for the cities/towns. You can't take dogs in watersheds as poop will contaminate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: