Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 22,544 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Southern California right now. But my husband hates Cali life. He wants a small town life. Someplace where he'd feel safe to raise the kids. He was considering Utah since it's not far from Cali and we could easily drive back and forth for holidays and vacations with family.

Now, my husband wants to buy land and build our home. So we have been looking, and there is land near Cedar City, and land near Enterprise. Right now we live in a small town, about the same as Cedar City. That would be my choice, but he wants something smaller, and is considering Enterprise. I don't know if I can handle such a small town, I'm so use to what we have here. Even in our small town, we live 30mins-1hour from major cities.

So my question is which one would be better? Do they both have safe environments for kids? Schools? Are there jobs? My husband owns his own construction business, is there any room for that out there? Do they have things to do for a family with small kids? Are the people kind and welcoming to out of state people?

I ask all this because even with all the research I have been doing, nothing compares to people who actually live there giving you the details. I'm really hesitant about moving, but I think maybe California isn't the place for our family right now.

Any help would be great, and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 AM

128 posts, read 267,759 times
Well depends on what you want Cedar City has about 30,000 residents and enterprise has about 1,500 so Cedar is quite a bit bigger. It still has a small town feel but there is quite a bit to do there. It's only an hour from sprawling St. George and a couple hours from Las Vegas. While you can go to the shakespearean festival, skiing, biking, etc. in Cedar. I think Cedar is the better town to live in smaller town but more to do and closer to the bigger ones.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 AM

139 posts, read 501,545 times
Enterprise??

It's a beautiful little town, emphasis on "little"...I mean, it's really really really small.

I'm sure it's a wonderful place to live and raise a family, but it's small. I was at a funeral there a few months ago for a relative, and I remember standing outside the church building where the funeral was being held, and all I could hear was "quiet". It was sort of cool to not hear freeway traffic, and all the other environmental noise I'm so used to in suburbia. But after about 10 minutes of ear shattering 'quiet" I started to get a bit creeped out! It was sort of like being in a Stephen King novel...I was waiting for some creepy little kid to step out from behind a tree or something!

Cedar City on the other hand is bigger, more vibrant, and has much more to do for kids. And it's still small as well...you can move out to the country around Cedar City and still be close enough to all the amenities that Cedar City has to offer.

As far as the construction industry goes in southern Utah....it's bleak. St. George, the biggest city in southern Utah was driven by the construction industry for years, and about 2 years ago, it came to skreeching halt. So, there's a lot of out of work construction professionals looking for work and willing to travel to Cedar City to get it.

But compared to Southern California, Cedar City will be like you've died and gone to heaven. No traffic, minimal crime, incredible scenery, great access to outdoor recreation, friendly people, no smog....I can't imagine a better place to relocate to!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 22,544 times
Thank you for all the input! I was thinking Cedar City would be better to, just so our kids don't grow up and have nothing to do. They are active and love to get out and do stuff. I was also worried about a small town being to quiet. It kinda scares me too, lol!

The biggest reasons for relocating, is because of smog, crime, traffic, and the people. We just want some place clean and beautiful to raise our kids.

Now my husband is considering St. George since a bunch of our friends have been there and loved it. Lol.

I think this summer we may drive over there and check out Cedar City and St. George to get a feel for them.

Thank You!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM

90 posts, read 235,588 times
Between those two, I'd pick Cedar. If you want smaller, it's much handier to live in proximity to a larger town. I've lived in a similar sized town to Enterprise (Monroe, ~1200 pop), but I was only 10 miles out from a larger town that at least had things like a Hostpital and Walmart/Kmart/Home Depot etc (Richfield). So if you're really looking for that small town feel - I'll let you know from personal experience, it's much easier to do when you're only a few minutes/miles away from the basic services a larger town can offer.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 20,960 times
Hello,

I am looking for a Med to large home in Cedar City with a garage or large workshop, with animal rights if possible and well water is a plus, on 1/2-to-1+ acre of land that one would consider owner financing? Or take over payments? If you are moving and trying to sale your home than please reply, and of course I am looking for a good deal if I can find one just like everyone else these days.

Thank You

Last edited by Jana~Looking; 05-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: omitted location

Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
I live 10 miles north of Enterprise, it is a great small town. Not much in the way of services though, 1 small market, 2 gas stations a clinic and a new pharmacy.
A small town like Enterprise is very hard to assimilate into. It is not that you will be shunned, but that everyone is related. The residents are all very nice, if you and your kids get involved in scouts and sports, they will make lots of friends.

I work for Iron County School District and it is a great school system, I don't know about Washington County.

As far as your husband, construction is very tough, my husband is a contractor and routinely drives 5o miles each way to get to job sites. You may want to check the Utah DOPL sit for license requirements, they are similar.
If you are going to buy land, be aware of the states water right system.

If you decide on Cedar or Enterprise, let me know and I will be happy to refer you some people that may be helpful.

St. George has many more opportunities, but hot in the summer and no snow. Good Luck in whatever you decide, Utah is a beautiful place

If you are a Facebook user, there are several good pages.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana~Looking View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a Med to large home in Cedar City with a garage or large workshop, with animal rights if possible and well water is a plus, on 1/2-to-1+ acre of land that one would consider owner financing? Or take over payments? If you are moving and trying to sale your home than please reply, and of course I am looking for a good deal if I can find one just like everyone else these days.

Thank You
You won't find many Cedar City residents here. There are lots of good properties available. PM me if you'd like some links, I dont know if I can post links here.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
I am retired, a widower and want to get out of the area I'm in now. I hate the hot climate, the crime and I have no reason to stay here in the South. I have visited Utah several times and I love it. Cedar City intrigues me, St. George is too hot, Salt Lake is too big and I love the southern part of the state. I want to move to a medium smaller city with reasonable medical facilities and other services, and I enjoy winter weather, so I want to see some snow and cold weather. I am not religious at all, like to drink a few cold beers, and have no problem going it alone and being with myself. I am not looking for a wife or a girlfriend, I just want to get away from this corrupt war zone that I live in now. Yes, it is Memphis Tn. and I loathe what has happened to this once great city.

Any advice from anyone about Cedar City or other similar towns would be greatly appreciated. I am financially solid, so I am not looking for employment, just a place without horrible crime, heat and humidity and the cool, dry desert air is so much nicer on my sinuses than the soup here.

Thanks in advance for any replies! Private emails and friend requests are welcome.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I don't know what hospital is in Cedar City but StG has a large one, capable of handling most emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah