Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 37,052 times

Advertisements

I am being considered (I hope seriously) for a position in Kanab, Utah and am curious if anyone has lived there, worked there, or can share anything about living there.

I would be renting, and was wondering what the typical home rental might run? I hate apartments, and was hoping to find a nice little house for myself and 4 pets.

Anyone with ideas and experience in the area please share it!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,672 times
My brother's wife is from Kanab, so I've been there a time or two. It's definitely small, with pretty red rocks all around. Easy access to lots of national parks. Not as warm as St. George. If you have specific questions, I could send an email out to my brother and his wife.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Thanks CoolCat!

Thanks, CoolCat, for answering my post. I'd love more information about how to find a rental, what the weather is like, etc., and if you'd pass on my inquiry, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again!
Stephanie

Old 10-31-2006, 03:10 PM

129 posts, read 515,432 times
Hi, Californiarescue,

Kanab is a place where, if you ever watch old Westerns (made in the 40's and 50's)--even some old Arabian Nights type of movie, you'll immediately recognize the scenery. The area used to be a favorite of the moviemakers because of its spectacular colored geography and its blue, blue skies. The old Parry Hotel was the place they'd take over while filming, and the town was often in competition with Cedar City as the place where they'd stay while filming.

Never lived there, except very briefly years ago, but it's on the small side, which wouldn't be bad except if you want/need to do some serious shopping it's a long way from any big stores. But it's fairly close to Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Nat'l Parks, plus many areas for climbing, hiking, biking, etc.

Good luck on your job offer.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM

Default LhashaLost

Dear friend:
thank you so much for your post! I have done some research on the town and know it is small - I have lived in towns of less than 350 people, so I know it is a double-edged sword!

I also know it won't have a SuperWalmart or Ikea, but I am willing to shop in St. George or Vegas for what I need. I was really curious about the coast of renting a home as I know aslo there are few apartments, and I have pets.

Anything else you can share with me is greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

PS thanks also for the encouragement on my job - I really want it!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 PM

129 posts, read 515,432 times
Sure hope you get the job. As to rentals, etc. - sorry, cannot be of help here. Perhaps your potential employee could give you a lead, at least an idea of what might be available. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that there's not a lot of rentals, either house or unit, in the area. However, I Googled "Kanab, Utah rentals," and quite a few sites popped up, so you might find something that way.

As to the weather: you'll probably find the area cooler than St. George but warmer than Cedar City; of course the weather fluctuates greatly within rather small geographic areas because of the various elevations, i.e., from around 2,000 to 6,000+ ft. elevations in the areas where there are towns and ranches.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by LlasaLost; 11-01-2006 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Default LhasaLost

Thanks, Lhasa! Every little bit helps! I've lived in the high desert before in NM, and know you can have snow one day and the next, bright, clear skies.

I was worried about rentals, but I hope WHEN I get this job, people there can point me in the right direction. And, if the terms are loose, you can always move.

God bless all of you how have helped!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,058 times
Hey californiarescue,how did the job come out? From your name I'm thinking we're looking at the same place. The real estate market is a nightmare. How long have they been considering? I would be moving quite a ways,I hope it would be worth it

Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 28,237 times
Californiarescue and TexasK good luck to both of you. I think I know the place you're being considered for. Sounds like a great place to work. I hope to visit there soon. Let us know if you get the jobs.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,641 times
Default what do you know about Kanab

Hi JudyLew
This is your old friend Jeannette replying to you!!!
What a different way to get in contact with you again!
I'm hoping to get to Best Friends there in Kanab myself soon. May even try for employment there.
If you get this...it's been a long while since your post of January 2007 - reply here or at kitkatlover2@msn.com.
I'm back in western WA after a year employed in eastern WA.
Anyway, hope "Californiarescue" got her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah