Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 27,970 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of online research. Trying to do as much as possilble before I visit so I know what areas to focus on when I go there. I really really liked what I read about Draper, about its low crime, caring about people's health, all the hiking trails and parks, having a good police department, being close to SLC but also close to Provo, almost everything I read on the city website I really liked. However I dont know if they only have houses there because I have only found 2 apartments in that city and honestly I wasnt that impressed with them. I am looking for a 2 bedroom upscale apartment. Also does Draper have a mall? What stores does Draper have close by? I also looked at Sandy. It has more apartment options but I still havent seen any really nice ones. I was happy with South Town Mall and Union Heights which seems to be in or near Sandy. Also I am thinking what are my community college options with Draper vs. Sandy? I want a school close by and not just a trade school but something with a lot of options of things to major in. Also I am interested in Utah Valley. Does anyone have more detailed information about it? Basically I want to be in between the suburbs/fancy homes and the city with shopping and entertainment and lots of jobs. I dont want to live in the city and give up on safety and low crime rates and hiking trails and parks. And at the same time I dont want to live in a suburb thats too far away from jobs and shopping. I am just looking for a medium. But safety is very important. I had a friend living in SLC down town and he thought it was safe until he had people break into his apartment looking for meth and hit him over the head with a gun and stold everything that was worth money in his apartment. He woke up later and everything was gone and his head was messed up. I dont want an area where I cant go out and be safe after dark. Any apartments in Sandy or Draper or Utah Valley you suggest. ??? Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Draper doesn't have a mall. Closest mall is most likely South Towne mall in Sandy.

Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) has several campuses throughout the SL valley. Not sure what classes are taught at each one. Here's a link. Many classes are offered as online classes too.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Draper doesn't have a mall. Closest mall is most likely South Towne mall in Sandy.
That depends upon how you define "mall." If you mean an enclosed, covered mall, it doesn't. However there is an enormous shopping center, a strip mall I guess you'd call it, but it's comprised of probably a hundred stores and restaurants. I don't live out there myself, so I can't remember what it's called.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 PM

90 posts, read 235,655 times
The biggest problem with the "Wasatch Front" (as you've already noted) is the weather. I was born and raised in SLC, but I've also lived throughout the Western US (OR, CA, AZ, NM). The ONLY place hotter than Salt Lake was Phoenix, and no where was nearly as cold in the winter. All of the other places I lived were FAR more moderate in weather and social demeanor for that matter. Long Beach, Portland, Albuquerque, Prescott. The two worst places I've ever lived were Salt Lake (I'd include the whole "Wasatch Front" from Ogden to Provo) and Phoenix.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 AM

25,734 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlowe View Post
The biggest problem with the "Wasatch Front" (as you've already noted) is the weather. I was born and raised in SLC, but I've also lived throughout the Western US (OR, CA, AZ, NM). The ONLY place hotter than Salt Lake was Phoenix, and no where was nearly as cold in the winter. All of the other places I lived were FAR more moderate in weather and social demeanor for that matter. Long Beach, Portland, Albuquerque, Prescott. The two worst places I've ever lived were Salt Lake (I'd include the whole "Wasatch Front" from Ogden to Provo) and Phoenix.
I can't say I disagree with this. Although I'm a bit 'stuck' right now, I'm looking forward to leaving the area. But, different strokes for different folks. Lot's of people love it here. Hopefully the OP will be one of them...

Just for the record: my problem with the area is mainly way too hot of summers and way too great a population density. If those are not issues for you, you might like the area. Many people list the 'predominant culture' (especially the Provo area) as a down side as well. That never has been much of an issue with me; but I pretty much keep to myself, which does make a difference. And to be fair, the diverse geography (especially the mountains) does a lot to make up for the down sides--just not enough for me.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Hmmmm I have heard good and bad things. Of course I dont want to freeze in the winter and be having a heat stroke in the summer. But that is probably the reason its so affordable in Utah, right? I have visited and its beautiful (the sky and the high mountains) but it was very cold when I was there in my CA clothes. I went to the mall in Sandy and it had more than enough for me. Also if there is a super walmart thats all I will ever need. The apartment here are double the price and up of the apartments in Sandy, UT. I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My husband and I will have to take a trip there as I have been there and he has not. But he is from OH not CA so he is not against different weather. I am concerned about it being too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and also if the health care will be as good there. But I love the fact that its so much more affordable (the rent). For what we are paying for a 1 bedroom here we could get a 2 bedroom in Sandy, Utah and still have about $200 left over per month. But I dont know if the jobs pay as much there. I think minimum wage is $800 here but Im not sure because I have never worked for minimum wage. I usually have some sort of management position. Right now Im a Senior Advertising Consultant and I work on commission. I make from $15/hr to $25/hr depending on my sales. But most non manager jobs pay about $10 to $12/hr. Do you know what you make for most jobs in Utah? I know I make good money but here in CA even with that good money you just make the bills and dont really ever get out of the hole.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSquibb1985 View Post
Hmmmm I have heard good and bad things. Of course I dont want to freeze in the winter and be having a heat stroke in the summer. But that is probably the reason its so affordable in Utah, right?
Oh, I don't know. We moved from NJ, and let me tell you, I froze there in the winter (frickin Nor'easters...) and sweated 10 pounds off in the humidity of the summer, and it is crazy expensive there!

When we came out for a visit before we moved here, it was July. It was HOT, but it didn't feel it to me. Seriously. I was soo used to it being so humid and sticky, that the pure dry heat we have in UT felt like a whole new world. The nights cool down quite a bit. Personally, I think Utah weather is very bearable. I don't even like winter in the slightest, but it isn't as bad as some places I have lived. Besides, other aspects of Utah are so wonderful, that I will deal with a few months of weather that I don't particularly care for.

Heath care in Utah is awesome. We have some of the top hospitals in the country located in Salt Lake!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM

25,734 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSquibb1985 View Post
Hmmmm I have heard good and bad things. Of course I dont want to freeze in the winter and be having a heat stroke in the summer. But that is probably the reason its so affordable in Utah, right? I have visited and its beautiful (the sky and the high mountains) but it was very cold when I was there in my CA clothes. I went to the mall in Sandy and it had more than enough for me. Also if there is a super walmart thats all I will ever need. The apartment here are double the price and up of the apartments in Sandy, UT. I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My husband and I will have to take a trip there as I have been there and he has not. But he is from OH not CA so he is not against different weather. I am concerned about it being too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and also if the health care will be as good there. But I love the fact that its so much more affordable (the rent). For what we are paying for a 1 bedroom here we could get a 2 bedroom in Sandy, Utah and still have about $200 left over per month. But I dont know if the jobs pay as much there. I think minimum wage is $800 here but Im not sure because I have never worked for minimum wage. I usually have some sort of management position. Right now Im a Senior Advertising Consultant and I work on commission. I make from $15/hr to $25/hr depending on my sales. But most non manager jobs pay about $10 to $12/hr. Do you know what you make for most jobs in Utah? I know I make good money but here in CA even with that good money you just make the bills and dont really ever get out of the hole.
I don't think you'll have any problem with health care. It seems quite good in the area.

Yes, the average wage is definitely lower here. Not to say there are no big-buck jobs, just a lower average--which of course, goes along with the lower cost of living in the area. It's typically sort of like that in any given area. Places that have lots of high-paying jobs (on average) are bound to have a high cost of living. I'd say it's on the lower end of the spectrum here for both.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlowe View Post
St. George is much hotter than SLC, and that's on the way to Las Vegas which is also much more hot.

I find SLC's summers mild, especially coming from Florida. The evenings cool off and they are very nice. In places like Vegas the heat is unrelenting in the summer.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks! Im glad someone thinks the weather is bareable. Im sure it will be a shocking coming from my perfect 72 degree weather area by the beach. But I really need a place my husband and I can buy a home. We would like to spend $300,000 at most. Nice homes in my area are over 1 million dollars for the same amount of bedrooms. You probably have never heard of this healthcare but I have Kaiser Permenente and I love love love it. Im nervous about switching to anything else. Basically its everything in one building. Your family doctor, your dermatologist, your pharmacy, and your urgent care. You go one place and have everything. Outside of Kaiser insurance in CA your doctor would refer you from one building to another for different things and make you drive all over different areas. I hate that. Trying to find new places every time you need something like an allergist or dermatologist or need a walk in clinic. You said the health care is great. Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah