Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 AM

427 posts, read 1,301,593 times

Advertisements

Check out South Jordan, it has a lot of new development, and most of it is 'upscale', including some apartments. Also Salt Lake City's not Chicago or anything, so you can get a nice apartment there, say in the Sugarhouse nabe, without it being high crime or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
The Irving Schoolhouse Apts on 2100 South, in the heart of Sugar House, are newish and very nice. Very conveniently located in walking distance to Whole Foods, BArnes&Noble, restaurants, banks, shops, etc. Also on a bus line.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,561,179 times
I've heard of Kaiser. Here Intermountain Health Care (IHC) based insurance is quite common. When my employer offered IHC coverage, my doctor, urgent care (Insta Care) and a pharmacy were all located in the same building--and it was a new building.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,243,752 times
I am surprised there has been no discussion of SoCal's smog vs. Wasatch Front's inversion. I just figured that would have come up.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,806,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I am surprised there has been no discussion of SoCal's smog vs. Wasatch Front's inversion. I just figured that would have come up.
So Cal Smog ..... when it leaves .. UCLA

Wasatch front Inversion ..... Just bloody cold and obnoxious

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,243,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
So Cal Smog ..... when it leaves .. UCLA

Wasatch front Inversion ..... Just bloody cold and obnoxious

I don't know. The whole "not being able to breathe" thing is kinda involved too.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM

25,385 posts, read 18,524,462 times
It's too bad the air quality gets so bad. If not for that, I wouldn't mind seeing the winter inversion year around. Daytime high temps in the 20's (generally) or lower; no sun beating down; no blasting wind; the snow on the ground stays on the ground; the trees often form a winter wonderland, covered in frost. Yes... that's my kinda weather. Ho-hum, only about seven more months. And counting.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM

21 posts, read 66,272 times
Actually, for the last 10 years the average high in SLC has been 95 degrees in July. They've also had quite a few hot spells where it has been above 100 for 2 weeks straight. St. George, although hot in the summer, is not that much hotter than SLC, contrary to what everyone in the State believes. When its hottest in SLC it's sometimes actually cooler in St. George. St. George will also cool down in the afternoon because of the monsoonal moisture/thunderstorms, which doesn't reach SLC as much.

Cedar City, as some people have mentioned, is more moderate than SLC and receives the monsoonal moisture like St. George. Cedar's average high in July is 89, where SLC's is 95, but Cedar often cools down into the 70's in the afternoon when there's a thunderstorm. Cedar's average high in January is 42, whereas SLC's is 37. The tradeoff is the average lows are cooler in Cedar because of its higher elevation. That makes it nicer during the summer however. New Harmony, which is really small but only 20 minutes from both Cedar and St. George, is even milder (if you believe the weather stats). So if you are looking for mild weather-by Utah standards-Cedar and New Harmony are both good choices. IMO, St. George would also be a decent choice compared to SLC if you don't want a lot of cold weather and snow. I don't think the summers are that much worse than SLC, especially with the afternoon cooling with the monsoonal moisture, but the winters are much nicer.

Bottom line, Utah has horrible weather compared to coastal areas of S. California. But compared to Texas and the Southeast, Utah has good weather. The lack of humidity makes the hot weather tolerable. Keep this in mind if weather is a major criteria for where you live. You probably won't love Utah's weather but you might be able to tolerate it.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM

25,385 posts, read 18,524,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt76 View Post
St. George, although hot in the summer, is not that much hotter than SLC, contrary to what everyone in the State believes. .

Bottom line, Utah has horrible weather compared to coastal areas of S. California.
Well, let's see... the SLC average high temp for July is 91.3 and for St. George it's 101.7 . Seems hotter to me. In my case, enough to bring the chance of a heat stroke from 70% up to about 99%. Shave off about 40 degrees for either July high average and it would be perfect.

A high temp of say 107 is not all that uncommon for St. George, but is almost unheard of in SLC (95 to 100 is fairly common, though).

You did get the horrible part right though... at least in the summer. The only thing that makes it tolerable is we have a fairly long and cold winter.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,180,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, let's see... the SLC average high temp for July is 91.3 and for St. George it's 101.7 . Seems hotter to me. In my case, enough to bring the chance of a heat stroke from 70% up to about 99%. Shave off about 40 degrees for either July high average and it would be perfect.

A high temp of say 107 is not all that uncommon for St. George, but is almost unheard of in SLC (95 to 100 is fairly common, though).

You did get the horrible part right though... at least in the summer. The only thing that makes it tolerable is we have a fairly long and cold winter.
But it is difficult to downplay and demonize SLC if you stick with the facts. So we need to get the story right we are 120 June - October and then 10 November -May.

Plus none of us have jobs or we make minimum wage, we spend 5 hours a day in traffic and breathe poison air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah