Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 11,680 times

Advertisements

My family of 3 are planning to move to South Salt Lake...possibly Lehi and was looking for suggestions. We are non-mormon and Lehi/Highland scared us! There was a church every 100feet!! Would it be more diverse in Draper/Riverton? Although we did here that the Alpine school district was the best in the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 AM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
I think your point of view might be skewed somewhat. When I lived in the NY and saw Catholic / Protestant / Methodist Churches towering over every small town I ventured through, I didn't freak out. Yes Lehi and Highland are close to Provo and are more likely to be predominatly mormon, but do mormons scare you?

Salt Lake City (religiously & ethnically)and Park City (religiously) are the most diverse places in Utah......not counting the predominatly navajo population in South Eastern Utah. I would think the Suncrest / Draper / Alpine areas would be more diverse than Lehi / Highland. It may be worth your time to check out developments in Saratoga Springs on the westside of Utah lake also.

LDS (mormons) are not a scary people and are actually very kind and loving. Just like any population there are going to be wackos, but as a whole my colleagues who are non-mormon have really enjoying living here. Just remember, when you go to Rome you expect Catholics...the same goes for Utah.

Last edited by Elder_Shawn; 03-01-2006 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 PM

No I am not scared of Mormons and I know they are very nice people.....to your face! I grew up in southern Idaho and I know how they can bother you until they are blue in the face. I have heard that in the bubble (Lehi/Provo) that if you are not Mormon they will make your life miserable. Catholics dont knock on your door and try to convert you.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:23 AM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave
No I am not scared of Mormons and I know they are very nice people.....to your face! I grew up in southern Idaho and I know how they can bother you until they are blue in the face. I have heard that in the bubble (Lehi/Provo) that if you are not Mormon they will make your life miserable. Catholics dont knock on your door and try to convert you.
Yeah I'm sure growing up in Southern Idaho (my family is from the Bear Lake area) was challenging as a non-mormon. There are a fair share of people in any religion that are nice to your face, but behind your back act otherwise. If you feel this strongly about being "surrounded" by mormons I recommend you don't live in the Provo Orem area. I'm mormon and I wouldn't even live there!

I did my fair share of door knocking in NY for two years and you would be suprised the number of people who are curious about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (mormon church) and its focus on families.

I apologize this thread has turned to religion. I will only focus on geographical areas from here on out.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,400 times
You may want to check on crime closer to S.L.C. The farther north you go the more crime W.V.C. is always on the news with gang related crimes.
I would rather put up with mormons than gangs.
I am an inactive mormon, and I have no one asking me to church, or bothering me at all.In fact they act as if I have not moved in.
Try Pleasant Grove.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,444 times
Hey Dr. Dave,
My family is non-mormon, and we live in Lehi and love it. There is alot of mormons but it's not as preachy as it used to be. No one has tried to convert us, everyone is really friendly. I think the attitudes have changed lately in Utah. When I grew up it was really hard being a non-mormon, but now it seems like everyone is more accepting.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,917 times
i suggest you move to Albuquerque,New Mexico if you are looking for a diverse city, We are 42% hispanic and 10% indian and the rest anglo and blacks.The west side of Albq is a fast growing area with low priced housing for new homes.On the west side of Albq is desert land and the far east side is mountain land.You should look up some info on this city,I just moved here last year and I love it.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Default South of the Gangs

Thanks for all your help. I love the mormons values on family and non-violence. I plan on moving in around the Draper/Riverton area. The gangs can stay up North. Micron is moving almost 3000 people to the Lehi area in the next 3 years so it will only become more diverse. There is also a huge hospital going in Draper. A furniture factory in Riverton. Also a projected HUGE mall going between Lehi and Riverton. So the area will grow more diverse by the minute. Most of the jobs going in the area will be hi paying jobs.....so look for land prices to go nuts!

Old 03-26-2006, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 23,840 times
If you're work is in South Salt Lake, I would strongly encourage you to look into the Day Break community at 114th South & Bangeter Hwy. This is brand new so all of your neighbors will be new along with you so there should be more diversity and a lot of community spirit. I'm moving to Utah, but will be on the other side of the Wasatch range. I was just there this week and totally "blown away" with what they have to offer. It will be one of the premier communities in the West.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,240 times
The Day Break community will be nice for a while but when Kennecott develops the west side of the valley it will be crowded like you wouldn't believe! Just wait until the two proposed ski resorts are built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah