Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM

146 posts, read 495,669 times

Advertisements

If the state had the guts to put this in a brochure to hand out to newcomers it would make their transition so much easier.

When you move to Utah, where the majority are Mormons, please do not imply that Mormons are not Christians. That is step one in you having a hard time getting to know people/neighbors in Utah.

Just so you know, it makes a Mormons skin bristle when you make that distinction.

No one cares if you believe that or not, but if you make that statement, in any form, your neighbors and co workers will probably not want much to do with you.

Just saying.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
But the guy yelling on the corner of temple square says different...

I still don't understand what is up with all the mormo-phobia going around. I'm not "of the faith" but live in the middle of LDS central and I honestly don't have a problem. I do wish people would stop associating Utah purely with mormonism though, there's A LOT more here.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Yea, I agree. I really don't get it.

I am a totally inactive Mormon, and have been for years, but it makes sense to me that if you move to Utah you come in with an open mind and not offend your neighbors and co workers by making statements like you read on here.

Its better to say something like "I am protestant" or "I am baptist" or "I am Methodist" or whatever. But when you make such a distinction where you imply that Mormons are not Christian, you are not going to win friends and influence people.

It actually makes people who make that type of statement look petty and abrasive.

It's advice that should be shared with newcomers.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Doesn't change anything.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Doesn't change anything.
*snort*

Moderator cut: rude
Why would you want to be friends with a neighbor like that? Why would you want your kids hanging out with a family that looks down on you and your beliefs?

This is exactly why I started this thread. If you have this attitude, and you move to Utah, you are limiting yourself, shortchanging your experience here.

Move into the state with an open mind, a warm heart, and you will love it. Move in with an abrasive attitude and arrogant religious beliefs, and your time here may be less enjoyable than it otherwise could be.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-24-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 AM

18 posts, read 43,874 times
Mostly people listen to their pastors and priests who spend way too much time teaching that Mormons are an evil Cult. It's like the people at Temple Square. Their message must stink. Instead of preaching their view of the gospel, they tear down the Mormon view. Apparently the Mormon view is so seemingly awesome, they need to level the playing field for their uninspired version

People need to... chillax?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Althouhgh most posts about the beliefs of the LDS belong in the religion forum and cultural practices belong in Katzpur's thread "The Low Down on Us Mormons": it is a long thread and many will not read it all. Therefore, I think this thread has a separate value of its own, as many future transplants make this mistake. However, since all that needs to bew said has been said and it got nasty while I had a dead computer, it is now closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah