U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM

24,102 posts, read 24,548,277 times

Advertisements

Kaytidid, eggaalegga and 11thHour are right. The difference in humidity makes a HUGE difference to how both extremes feel. Humid weather makes the cold feel colder and the heat feel hotter. Trust us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 AM

94 posts, read 218,599 times
I would also say you are out of luck. I have been all over that state at all times of year and there is nothing that fits your requirements. You won't find the climate you seek once you move away from the ocean where the continental air mass controls much of the weather.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 AM

13,838 posts, read 12,050,536 times
Here is some added information about Cedar City's climate. In the earlier post I gave you average temps. Here are the average high and low temps for the year. Sorry about the format of the data--it came from a table and I'm too lazy to try to get it looking right. You'll get the idea, it's just Jan through Dec (I rounded to the nearest whole number):

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average Max. Temperature (F) 42 47 54 62 72 84 90 88 80 67 53 43
Average Min. Temperature (F) 17 22 27 33 41 49 58 56 47 36 25 18

Ave number of days above 90: 39
Ave number of days below 32: 166
Ave number of days below 0: 7
Ave snowfall: 35.5 inches
Ave precip: 11.7 inches

Anyway, hope that helps!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM

224 posts, read 569,324 times
Cedar City is not much different weather wise from SLC. It has the same cold temps and snow in the winter and the same high temps in the summer.

What those people do who can afford to is change homes. They have a summer home in Park City where it is cooler in the summer and a winter home in St George where the winter doesn't get too bad. Ever heard of snowbirds? You mostly think of the east coast and Florida, but Utah has some as well.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,299,223 times
I have heard there is one town in Utah where....

"A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In...."

I cannot remember the name of the town, I think it was Herriman, a Utah resident would better know which town.

On a more serious note, I think you will have to split time between residences to make Utah work for you, the Saint George/Park City split sounds like a great idea, or many Utah homes come with a driveway and/or garage for an R.V. If you are in a position to do so, you could hit the road for a few months a year, traveling around to the climates that come closest to your preferences.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,972,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithAndAmbition View Post
Wow...below zero and about 100 are pretty extreme. So even if I lived right in between St George and Salt Lake City I would still be out of luck. I will look at Cedar City. I read here on city data that they average is 30 degrees to 80 degrees but I guess that doesnt include those 100 degree days and 0 degree days. It doesnt even show it getting lower than 20 degrees on the chart. Hmmmm. I dont really understand about the humidity. I guess because I never have lived anywhere outside of Cali. So does that mean that even if its 10 degrees hotter in UT it can feel cooler than here because I wont be by the coast anymore? Just trying to understand that. When I came to visit it was cold so I havent felt the heat yet but I have 2 friends who live there and one of them told me (she is from CA) that the summers are awful. She lives in Midvale.
In Summer...it's all about apparent temperature (aka heat index). The best explanation is here...

"Heat Index combines the effects of heat and humidity. When heat and humidity combine to reduce the amount of evaporation of sweat from the body, outdoor exercise becomes dangerous even for those in good shape"

Here is a chart...pictures are usually better for me :-)

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/images/heat_index.png (broken link)

Notice that when the temperature is 90 deg (very common in northern Utah summer)...and the relative humidity is 40% (its typically lower then this in Utah)...there is not much difference between the temperature and what the air actually "feels" like.

Lower humidity makes the air feel cooler, because it evaporates the sweat off you very quickly. Hence the catch phrase "but it's a dry heat"

One thing I remember very distinctly was getting out of the pool in Utah...and freezing!. The air temp was 95, but the air was do dry, the water evaporates so quickly and cools your skin suddenly.

Summer humidity levels are typically 10-20% in Utah...and I have seen as low as 3%!!!!

This is also why swamp coolers are (were?) popular...but thats a whole different thread...

Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 83,890 times
Well thanks everybody for the advice and statistics. According to ChrisC chart I think I would be able to manage. Im sure people get used to it who move from other places. I would like to enjoy some snow and weather where I could swim in the pool. Im just afraid of those days over 90 degrees and those really cold days 20 degrees and below. I wouldnt say the CA coast is humid like FL. There is pretty much a cool breeze all the time. Here's a question. The affordable rent really draws me towards UT (among other things). Does high heating and cooling cost make it so you are really not saving much by living there? My rent is $1100/month now for a 1 bedroom and thats a cheap apartment out here and I see apartments in UT for $700/month. Does all the heater and air conditioning bills make it so you are paying about $1100/month anyways? My electric bill is only about $40/month right now. What does the average UT person pay in the SLC area on their electric bill in an apartment?? Also I have a cat. Would I have to leave the heater/air conditioner always running for my cat? Since it doesnt get too hot or cold here I dont have to leave the air or heat on while Im gone at work. Thanks for all your help!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM

123 posts, read 288,838 times
St. George has the mildest winters in UT. Jan. ave 54/27, Jul. 102/69. I CAN get very cold in the winter, (highs in the low 30's for a few days), and the summers can get to 110+, but since St. George is the HIGH desert, it is much more bearable than let's say Phoenix where I (unfortunately) live. Case in point - July 2009 one day was 113. Just 3 months later, in late October, St. George had a high of 48. Also, in St. George you don't have the "heat island" effect like Phoenix does, so it cools off rapidly at night.
My point being that it can get very hot or cold in St. George, but those temps don't last very long.
This is a very useful website where you can view actual historical temperatures for past months and years and not just the forecast: Just click on "history & almanac" on the left side:

Saint George, Utah (84770) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 PM

13,838 posts, read 12,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
My point being that it can get very hot or cold in St. George, but those temps don't last very long.
Not to be combative, but being from Phoenix, your definition of hot is a bit 'skewed'!

Remember, the OP is from an area that hovers around 70 most of the year. And as for me, 90 degrees is way past my comfort level even though I've been in Utah for a long long time. Sure, I can handle it, but it's miserable (one reason I'm still looking to get out of Utah).

With that 90 degree mark as sort of a 'border' from hot to extreme, you can get a better idea of just how much of the year, on average, St. George heat lasts: the average number of days over 90 degrees in St. George is 129. And many of those days actually measure in at over 100 (July average of 102). So... I have to disagree with you. St. George heat is around a big chunk of the year. I would literally die in a climate like that...

Old 11-30-2020, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,316 times
Lived in CA, FL, HI and now here in UT. If you want mild seasons I suggest Hawaii as you unfortunately won't find it anywhere in Utah. Don't forget Utah is high desert so you will get more extremes than California. The dry air here makes it not feel as bad especially after a couple years of assimilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah