Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:13 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithAndAmbition View Post
Hello everyone,
From what I have heard and read ST George is the area with very hot summers and very mild winters and the SLC area has much more mild summers then ST George. Is that correct? I am looking to move to UT from CA. Im used to our 72 degree weather, being by the beach area. So I am wondering what city or cities in UT have the most mild summer and winters and would be the most comparable to CA weather? I know I wont be by the beach so it wont be the same thing but I dont want 10 degree or 95 degree weather. Is there any city in UT that stays around 40 to 80 degrees? Or does such a city not exist? It would also have to be a city with business/jobs, apartments, stores, malls, movie theater, or close to these things (like a 20 min drive to get to these places). I would do just fine in about any place that has a super walmart or super target. I am new to living in snow (or being in snow at all). I have lived in L.A. and it can get hot, 90 degrees. I really dont like it above 80-85 degrees. But I dont want to freeze either. Am I out of luck on the weather thing?
No. Not by any stretch. That's like looking for a Florida climate in Pennsylvania. You're out of luck, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I would much rather be in 100 degree weather in Utah than 80+ degrees anywhere with HIGH humidity. A humid summer day here in the SL valley is when the humidity is about 35%. I don't like humid climates. Sure they tend to me more green as far as landscapes go, but my body can't handle the humidity.

I don't think our summers are awful. But I've never lived anywhere but Utah. On the really hot days, I just plan to be indoors or up in the mountains. It's quite pleasant in the late evening hours as long as the mosquitos don't get you.
You're used to and maybe never experienced anything else. Doing anything in direct sun is awful. You're a prisoner of the indoors or have to get up to the mountains. That's OK up to a point, but becomes tiresome after the novelty wears off. Ironically, I try to spend as much time in summer in CA.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You're used to and maybe never experienced anything else. Doing anything in direct sun is awful. You're a prisoner of the indoors or have to get up to the mountains.
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I am totally comfortable in the summer, as long as I don't stay out in the direct heat for a very long time. As soon as the temperature drops below even 55 degrees, though, I start feeling uncomfortable, even when I'm dressed appropriately. Anything below 45 degrees and I'm downright cold and miserable. To me, 80 degrees is just about perfect. (I'm speaking, of course, of temperatures here in Salt Lake City. I'm sure I'd be miserable in the heat, too, if we had a really high humidity.)

Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 PM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithAndAmbition View Post
Well thanks everybody for the advice and statistics. According to ChrisC chart I think I would be able to manage. Im sure people get used to it who move from other places. I would like to enjoy some snow and weather where I could swim in the pool. Im just afraid of those days over 90 degrees and those really cold days 20 degrees and below. I wouldnt say the CA coast is humid like FL. There is pretty much a cool breeze all the time. Here's a question. The affordable rent really draws me towards UT (among other things). Does high heating and cooling cost make it so you are really not saving much by living there? My rent is $1100/month now for a 1 bedroom and thats a cheap apartment out here and I see apartments in UT for $700/month. Does all the heater and air conditioning bills make it so you are paying about $1100/month anyways? My electric bill is only about $40/month right now. What does the average UT person pay in the SLC area on their electric bill in an apartment?? Also I have a cat. Would I have to leave the heater/air conditioner always running for my cat? Since it doesnt get too hot or cold here I dont have to leave the air or heat on while Im gone at work. Thanks for all your help!
Not sure where you are planning on moving to, but in salt lake, I would count on about $1,000/month for a one bedroom apartment.

Your electric bill would probably be about the same as what you pay now, except higher in the summer - assuming you run the air conditioning. Your gas bill will be higher in the winter since you will be running the heater, and assuming it is a gas furnace and not electric. I think a reasonable budget for gas and electric combined would be $80-100/month, or perhaps $60-80 if you are diligently energy efficient.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:15 PM

Have none of you noticed that the OP started this thread over ten years ago and hasn't been back?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 AM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Have none of you noticed that the OP started this thread over ten years ago and hasn't been back?
Aahh, haha. No, and thank you for pointing it out.
That explains their expectation of $700 rent.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I am totally comfortable in the summer, as long as I don't stay out in the direct heat for a very long time. As soon as the temperature drops below even 55 degrees, though, I start feeling uncomfortable, even when I'm dressed appropriately. Anything below 45 degrees and I'm downright cold and miserable. To me, 80 degrees is just about perfect. (I'm speaking, of course, of temperatures here in Salt Lake City. I'm sure I'd be miserable in the heat, too, if we had a really high humidity.)
Indeed, so am I. But by "direct heat" I think you mean "direct sun"? Well, direct mid-day sun in July is just horrible for most people. If it were just 80 it might be OK, but it isn't. It's +90deg, often 95 or 100. Nobody plays tennis, for example, under such conditions. {Please don't tell me you know somebody that does. There's always somebody. But not very many.}

Old 12-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Nice catch. LOL, we were suckered!

Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Indeed, so am I. But by "direct heat" I think you mean "direct sun"?
Yes. Duh. I meant to say "direct sun."

Quote:
Well, direct mid-day sun in July is just horrible for most people. If it were just 80 it might be OK, but it isn't. It's +90deg, often 95 or 100. Nobody plays tennis, for example, under such conditions. {Please don't tell me you know somebody that does. There's always somebody. But not very many.}
Well, my husband plays golf in it, and has almost passed out from heat exhaustion before. I've put up a fuss about it, but nothing's going to stop him from playing golf. He'll go out mid-winter, too, as long as he can find a course that's open. And no, I wouldn't want to be doing any real physical activity in the mid-90s, but I can be outside and walk a couple of blocks or so and be fine. In the winter, I'll be in my car, parked in the parking lot of the supermarket and will just have to talk myself into getting out of the car and rushing the 50 feet to the door of the store. Suffice it to say, I'm just not a winter person.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamikefoster View Post
Your best bet is Monterrey...but that's in California!

You aren't going to find anything with your parameters in Utah. That's why they invented Central AC and heaters!
Fully agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah