Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 109,824 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
From what I have heard and read ST George is the area with very hot summers and very mild winters and the SLC area has much more mild summers then ST George. Is that correct? I am looking to move to UT from CA. Im used to our 72 degree weather, being by the beach area. So I am wondering what city or cities in UT have the most mild summer and winters and would be the most comparable to CA weather? I know I wont be by the beach so it wont be the same thing but I dont want 10 degree or 95 degree weather. Is there any city in UT that stays around 40 to 80 degrees? Or does such a city not exist? It would also have to be a city with business/jobs, apartments, stores, malls, movie theater, or close to these things (like a 20 min drive to get to these places). I would do just fine in about any place that has a super walmart or super target. I am new to living in snow (or being in snow at all). I have lived in L.A. and it can get hot, 90 degrees. I really dont like it above 80-85 degrees. But I dont want to freeze either. Am I out of luck on the weather thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:42 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,541,675 times
I'd say you're out of luck. We can have days of 100+ degrees in the summer and temps at zero (sometimes below) in the winter. Use the search feature here and look up inversion.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM

139 posts, read 499,352 times
Your best bet is Monterrey...but that's in California!

You aren't going to find anything with your parameters in Utah. That's why they invented Central AC and heaters!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,878,340 times
Yeah, there's no such city in Utah. Mild summers don't really exist here unless you want to live in a cabin in the high mountains, i.e. 9500 ft +. Even there they get above 80. You can find mild-ish winters in SW Utah, but the summers can be brutal and have many days above 100 easily.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,943,261 times
However, keep in mind that 85 degrees on the coast with humidity, is not nearly the same as 90 degrees with very low humidity. You have to experience it to understand it!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM

146 posts, read 493,349 times
Cedar City is kind of mild in the winter....for Utah, and it has great summers.
STG is great in the winter, too hot in the summer, same with Moab.

I have heard that Escalante is pretty mild with cool summers and cold but not bitter cold winters.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 PM

25,215 posts, read 18,382,119 times
Yes, you are out of luck. If climate is a big issue for you (I understand because it's a huge issue for me as well, although I prefer much different weather than you do), Utah is not you place for your desired conditions. Utah tends to be a land of extremes on one or both ends of the scale.

As for Cedar City: the ave temp in January is 30; the average temp in SLC for January is 28. So, yes, there is a slight difference. I don't know that it's a big enough difference to call it 'mild' compared to other areas, though.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 109,824 times
Wow...below zero and about 100 are pretty extreme. So even if I lived right in between St George and Salt Lake City I would still be out of luck. I will look at Cedar City. I read here on city data that they average is 30 degrees to 80 degrees but I guess that doesnt include those 100 degree days and 0 degree days. It doesnt even show it getting lower than 20 degrees on the chart. Hmmmm. I dont really understand about the humidity. I guess because I never have lived anywhere outside of Cali. So does that mean that even if its 10 degrees hotter in UT it can feel cooler than here because I wont be by the coast anymore? Just trying to understand that. When I came to visit it was cold so I havent felt the heat yet but I have 2 friends who live there and one of them told me (she is from CA) that the summers are awful. She lives in Midvale.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,541,675 times
I would much rather be in 100 degree weather in Utah than 80+ degrees anywhere with HIGH humidity. A humid summer day here in the SL valley is when the humidity is about 35%. I don't like humid climates. Sure they tend to me more green as far as landscapes go, but my body can't handle the humidity.

I don't think our summers are awful. But I've never lived anywhere but Utah. On the really hot days, I just plan to be indoors or up in the mountains. It's quite pleasant in the late evening hours as long as the mosquitos don't get you.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,878,340 times
Yeah, humidity makes a huge (!) difference. I spent a lot of years in the southeast and I was miserable. 80F and humid was unbearable compared to 105 here and dry. Think about it: you sweat to lose heat via evaporation. In high humidity your sweat doesn't evaporate. You cannot shed your body's heat as effectively in humid environs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah