Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 42,382 times

Advertisements

Kansan,

Thank you for responding! My wife just accepted the job in Moab so we will be moving there in July. We plan on checking with the property management people around June for help finding a rental.

We're a little curious about what to expect as far as the community?
How would you describe the local scene for people in there early thirtys who don't have children?

We're really excited to be moving back to Utah. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM

19 posts, read 99,331 times
Hi, Bwill! How nice that you have found a way to return to Moab! As I mentioned in my earlier post, the fact that most of the major construction jobs have ended means that surely there will be a greater availability of rentals--certainly by July that should be the case.

As far as what to expect re: the community, you DID say you lived in Castle Valley for a while. I am assuming that was not a very long period or you would have a better idea of what the community is like. If you haven't already done so, read my post at the Living in Moab forum, as I describe the community fairly extensively there. There are plenty of young people your age and quite a lot of different types of activities. Since Moab's economy is largely dependent upon tourism, we have many events throughout the season--almost every weekend there is something, beginning with the Half-Marathon around March 19th and continuing through the summer up till November 1st or thereabouts. This week is Safari Week--which is a wild time in Moab; next weekend is the annual Car Show--one of our very nicest events. There may be as many as 700 cars of all "eras" in the City Park, with 50s-60s-70s music playing, etc. We have the Moab Music Festival in Aug-Sept. and the Folk Festival in Nov. There are a number of churches in town if you are interested in those. If there are specific things you are wondering about, let me know and I can be more specific in my answers. I have lived here for 38 years, in spite of the fact that I have lived MANY other places, and have never gotten tired of Moab or its people, surrounding country, etc. There are plenty of couples like you without families who find it a very interesting place to live. It is definitely unique, and as I mentioned in the post I referred you to, because of its boom-bust-boom, etc. character, it does not have the "closed" feeling that other county seat towns of its size in other parts of the country have.

I wish you well and know that things will work out fine for you when you make your move. Please feel free to write again if you have further questions for me.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Kansan,

Thanks again for your help. I did mention that I previously lived in castle valley. I lived there for a few years when I was a kid then I moved back for about eight months in 99-2000. So I have spent a little time in the area, the reason I asked about the community was 1- When I lived there I spent most of my time in CV or at the river. 2- When I did make it to Moab I spent most of my time gathering supplies or swimming at Left Hand. I didn't spend very much time mingling with people in town so I appreciate you filling me in on the local events. I'm confident that my wife and I will enjoy living there. We love to mountain bike, hike, backpack so where better to live than Moab. I was mainly curious about local hang outs bars etc. Are there places that aren't totally dominated by tourist where locals gather?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM

191 posts, read 503,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill__ View Post
Kansan,

Thanks again for your help. I did mention that I previously lived in castle valley. I lived there for a few years when I was a kid then I moved back for about eight months in 99-2000. So I have spent a little time in the area, the reason I asked about the community was 1- When I lived there I spent most of my time in CV or at the river. 2- When I did make it to Moab I spent most of my time gathering supplies or swimming at Left Hand. I didn't spend very much time mingling with people in town so I appreciate you filling me in on the local events. I'm confident that my wife and I will enjoy living there. We love to mountain bike, hike, backpack so where better to live than Moab. I was mainly curious about local hang outs bars etc. Are there places that aren't totally dominated by tourist where locals gather?
Well coincidently, my better 1/2 may have a job in Moab too. We are early 30's no kids and love the outdoors too. Especially Mountain biking. Maybe we will be neighbors. Let me know how the housing thing goes. Finding rentals seems like quite the process....

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Jwind,

Well coincidentally, my better 1/2 may have a job in Moab too.
-That would be great if your wife is able to secure a job. Good luck!

We are early 30's no kids and love the outdoors too. Especially Mountain biking.
-I've been studying every Moab mountain bike trail book I could get my hands on ever since we heard the news. I'm always looking for new trails and friends so hit me up on Facebook if you want, you can find me in my current city Oceanside, OR and my name is Bob Williams.

Maybe we will be neighbors. Let me know how the housing thing goes. Finding rentals seems like quite the process....
-It is, so far we've been told by the majority of people that we talk to, to contact Moab Property Management so that's what we plan on once we get closer to our move date. So far by what we've seen (on the internet)the selection seems pretty slim. Hopefully we will get lucky and find a nice place.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Hi, again, Bwill!

Yes there are plenty of "hanging-out" places that locals frequent. Last time I counted, there were about 42 eating places (sometimes certain ones go out of business, but new ones come in) and there are at least three main bars and several restaurants that have bars separate but in the same location. The tourists do dominate the town during the season but the locals enjoy the respite from tourist activity from November to March and it doesn't seem like a ghost town or anything like that. Unlike some tourist destinations, Moab DOES have a distinctive personality apart from tourism. As I have said before, it is a great place and I think both you two and Jwind and his wife will be VERY glad you moved here--if you can swing it at all, financially. I DO have confidence in the rental picture becoming more positive soon--though I should mention that people with pets have a much harder time finding places to rent--in case that is your situation. If you have any other questions, sign on back here. I don't "do" Facebook!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Are there any places people list rentals. Craigslist is my usual go to, but nothing comes close to Moab. And yes, we have 2 dogs. Finding a place to lease is typically the hardest part about relocating IMO, this should be no different! HA!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Probably your best bet would be to go to moabhappenings.com. It is the website of a great local business that publishes all manner of good things for the community, including a monthly real estate guide. You will see a listing of all their publications, along with the real estate guide, on the left side of their home page. While the guide doesn't list rentals, you would get an idea of what is available for sale and I suspect it might be possible to rent something that has been on the market for a while. They also put out a dining guide with menus for local eating establishments that you will find interesting and useful.

There are seldom any classified ads for rentals in the local newspaper (The Moab Times-Independent) but we have a good (free) weekly shopper called The Ad-vertiser that is delivered to all the homes in the area and virtually everyone reads. Occasionally there are places for rent listed in it, but more often there are ads for people wanting to rent a place and that might work for you. The Ad-vertiser's phone number is (435) 259-8165.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks. So it's going to be an interesting one finding a place to live.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM

We've been using the Ad-vertiser online you can find the classifieds here, Read the ads (http://www.moabadvertiser.com/ClassifiedAdsFrameset.htm - broken link) The place we're currently looking into has five other applicants so if you see a place you like I suggest you move fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah