Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Kanosh: mountains and rivers, other religions, homeschooled kids, VA hospital, free lifestyle

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,025 times

Advertisements

my MIL lives in Meadows and we told her we were thinking of moving out by her, we live in KY and well we are away from fam and i miss them so we are moving west. She found us a place in Kanosh and we are thinking about moving there. Now for my questions....

1. is it pretty, i grew up in Or and loved the mountains and rivers
2. we are christian, is this going to be a issue? we have no problem with other religions and would not disrespect anyone for their beliefs but will because we are not mormon have issues, my kids are homeschooled here but were thinking of trying the public school there but if they arent going to be well recieved i would prefer to just keep them at home.

3. okay last month my step daughter moved in with us, she was raised by her mother and on her 16th bday she had a baby, it wasnt the best thing in the world but what is done is done and her mother couldnt afford her and the baby so we brought her into our house of already 4 kids. Is she going to have problems.

4. my step daughter mentioned above also had a very "free" lifestyle up where she lived with her mother and was into drugs, cigarettes, sex, alcohol. We would prefer to move to a area that this is not easy to access, we have done our best to "clean" her up and get her off of the crud. I just want to know that if we move there is there a high rate of kids that she is going to find that she can get tempted to go back into that lifestyle. Im hoping not since Ive been told this state is fairly religious.

5. for my next question, my dh is handicapped due to injuries in Iraq, is there a VA hospital or clinic anywhere near?

6. how close is the nearest college since he is also in schooling to retrain.

7. not much else i just hope to make friends and if any of you live around this area i would love to meet you, we should be there within 6 months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 97,365 times
Kanosh is a very very small town right off of the interstate (I-15)
You are 2.5 hours,probably closer to 3 with traffic,south of the closest VA Hospital in SLC--it is in the extreme Northeast part of SLC so you will have to traverse the entire city.
Don't know about the drugs in Kanosh but suspect if somebody wants something they will find it.
Closest school of higher learning is probably Snow College in Ephraim about 1.5 hours Northeast.There may be some smaller schools closer like a community college or trade school in Richfield.
There is also a college in Cedar City south but a little further away still.
The area is rocky and dry--sincerely doubt you will mistake it at all for Western Oregon--maybe more like extreme Eastern Oregon.It is south of the Wasatch mountain range so true mountains are a little drive North as well.
You will be fairly isolated and have to drive for most of the services you are interested in.
As far as religion goes,I dont know the exact counts in Kanosh but Central and Southern Utah is known for a predominance of LDS for whatever that is worth.
If you want small town life with more trees and water,you probably will find Northern Utah much more like Oregon than the Kanosh area.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,025 times
thanks for the info i will tell my dh what ya have told me

Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 PM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times
My best friend from college lives in Kanosh. It is a very small community just a few hundred people. Filmore is the biggest city near it and it is small as well. There are mountains to the east. They are quite magnificent once you drive up into them. The sunsets to the west are something to take your breath away. All VA things are in SLC. So will be any major medical care for the family. The easiest college/university to get to will be Cedar City just down the road on I-15. It will take about 90 minutes to drive there when the weather is good. Knowing some of the characters in Kanosh, if you are friendly, you will have friends. Kanosh has one gas station, no stores, and afew in the home type small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah